Television

By which I do NOT mean the upcoming "film" Ghostkiller, in which "Kyle Ghostkiller, heir to an ancient medicine bundle and falsely accused of murder, escapes the FBI and time jumps to 1862 where he must save 38 ancestors from hanging and stop a supernatural dark force from destroying the future," co-starring Tara Reid and Kevin Sorbo.

I'm stunned that this dude is still taking that kind of role after finally finding purchase in Fargo, Westworld, Reservation Dogs, and other high-profile titles of the last several years. I mean, he stars in his own prestigey AMC show. I do not want to see him share the screen with Kevin goddamn Sorbo.
I keep thinking about the synopsis of Ghostkiller and how maybe it would actually sound kinda rad if it co-starred almost literally anyone else.

Finally got around to watching the last episode of Better Call Saul. Already knew the Brian Cranston/Paul Aaron cameo was coming up, but....that Paul Aaron cameo was rough.

I could buy the older Odenkirk, Banks, and Esposito playing younger versions of themselves throughout the series because they were already older when BB started so they don't look terribly older playing the younger versions in the series.

Brian Cranston looked older reprising his role but not distractingly so, but Paul Aaron just looked way older and it made it difficult to buy-in. Still...good episode, just my thoughts on that cameo.

Finally got around to watching the last episode of Better Call Saul. Already knew the Brian Cranston/Paul Aaron cameo was coming up, but....that Paul Aaron cameo was rough.

I could buy the older Odenkirk, Banks, and Esposito playing younger versions of themselves throughout the series because they were already older when BB started so they don't look terribly older playing the younger versions in the series.

Brian Cranston looked older reprising his role but not distractingly so, but Paul Aaron just looked way older and it made it difficult to buy-in. Still...good episode, just my thoughts on that cameo.
Yeah, I noticed that too. it was around his eyes.

Finished Paper Girls season 1 last night. Pretty good overall. Episodes 6 and 7 were SO GOOD. This cast is spot-fucking-on.

I struggle a bit with the shortness of this season. 8 eps is more expected of a mini-series, and it would be a huge shame if Amazon doesn't commit to some degree of closure with the way it leaves things. It's clear they didn't want to risk too much from a budgetary standpoint on this. The early rationing of overt sci-fi elements makes this feel like a test. Season 2 would really have to dial that up. That said, I think the team did a good job reconciling that visual stinginess with the deeper focus on individual characters than we got in the comics.

Really hope we get a commitment to season 2. Anything less would be cruelty.

Finished Paper Girls season 1 last night. Pretty good overall. Episodes 6 and 7 were SO GOOD. This cast is spot-fucking-on.

I struggle a bit with the shortness of this season. 8 eps is more expected of a mini-series, and it would be a huge shame if Amazon doesn't commit to some degree of closure with the way it leaves things. It's clear they didn't want to risk too much from a budgetary standpoint on this. The early rationing of overt sci-fi elements makes this feel like a test. Season 2 would really have to dial that up. That said, I think the team did a good job reconciling that visual stinginess with the deeper focus on individual characters than we got in the comics.

Good to hear. Watched the first 3 eps and have liked it.

Yes on all this.

Yeah, I binged it this week. Acting a character drama was great. Like you said the special effects were not the best but thankfully that wasn’t carrying a big load on the entertainment side of things. I hope it gets a season 2.

Starting this one tonight...

Is anyone else watching Industry? One of my tv podcasts mentioned it so I thought I'd give it a shot - I tore through S1 in 3 days, and just finished the first ep of S2. Really fun show, reminds me of Billions meets Euphoria, set in London.

Back