Television

I guess I am far behind (relatively speaking) because I just started Squid Game. Before, I didn't feel I was in the right headspace for something so vicious, but now that I've started it, I'm all in.
it's the best show I've seen all year. It has a lot of hype but it's completely deserving IMO

it's the best show I've seen all year. It has a lot of hype but it's completely deserving IMO
So I knew it was like super popular but I was doing some reading up on it and apparently it’s like the most popular thing globally that Netflix has ever put out. Which, as good as it is, is surprising to me.

Anyway, I’m about halfway in and am just obsessed at this point. I know there is apparently going to be a second season, so I’m curious how much will be resolved by the end.

But as far as aesthetics, acting, music, plot…it’s really nailing everything pretty perfectly - aside from some certain obvious story beats that I felt were too easy to predict and convenient (like the voting thing).

Cowboy Bebop is... meh... If you've seen Cowboy Bebop.

Wheel of Time is great except one MAJOR change they made, which I do not understand, but whatever.
Thus far, I'm in one episode on Wheel of Time. I haven't read the book(s) and the hubs is on the first book and he says that they changed it all up. We were both happy to see Rouse Bolton (Michael McElhatton) as Tam. Really enjoyed that casting.

So the biggest thing was Perrin and HIS WIFE????!!!! And then he traumatically kills her, which makes me wonder what exactly they are going to do with all that? This obviously has to come up later, right? Why did they start his story arc like that?

Thus far, I'm in one episode on Wheel of Time. I haven't read the book(s) and the hubs is on the first book and he says that they changed it all up. We were both happy to see Rouse Bolton (Michael McElhatton) as Tam. Really enjoyed that casting.

So the biggest thing was Perrin and HIS WIFE????!!!! And then he traumatically kills her, which makes me wonder what exactly they are going to do with all that? This obviously has to come up later, right? Why did they start his story arc like that?
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that major edition. I guess we'll see where it goes, but that was quite the departure from the books.

A few people are saying since they aged everyone up five years (Egwene aged up 7) it makes more sense for at least one of them to be married. It's just weird to me, as in the books Perrin has a complicated relationship with blacksmithing as he was apprentice to the town smith, which they left out, and I can't see how this won't drastically change his future relationship, which is a huge part of the story... Regardless, that's really the only thing I didn't like about the show, well that and they've portrayed Mat to be more of a sad n'er do well, than a mischievous prankster.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that major edition. I guess we'll see where it goes, but that was quite the departure from the books.

A few people are saying since they aged everyone up five years (Egwene aged up 7) it makes more sense for at least one of them to be married. It's just weird to me, as in the books Perrin has a complicated relationship with blacksmithing as he was apprentice to the town smith, which they left out, and I can't see how this won't drastically change his future relationship, which is a huge part of the story... Regardless, that's really the only thing I didn't like about the show, well that and they've portrayed Mat to be more of a sad n'er do well, than a mischievous prankster.
My husband was also not happy about how they portrayed Matt.

As long as they don't change all the blushing and braid tugging, it's fine. That's an integral component of hundreds of chapters.

Cowboy Bebop is... meh... If you've seen Cowboy Bebop.

Wheel of Time is great except one MAJOR change they made, which I do not understand, but whatever.
i watched the first 3 episodes of Cowboy Bebop... i agree very dull in comparison to the anime. I understand they're adding somethings to round out the other characters but something seems off about it. I probably will finish tho regardless.

i watched the first 3 episodes of Cowboy Bebop... i agree very dull in comparison to the anime. I understand they're adding somethings to round out the other characters but something seems off about it. I probably will finish tho regardless.
I actually get to take off a few days this week, so I'll try to watch a few episodes. I saw the original anime, but it was in the late 90's so I don't remember much. I'll try to report back a little later this week on how I feel about it.

I actually get to take off a few days this week, so I'll try to watch a few episodes. I saw the original anime, but it was in the late 90's so I don't remember much. I'll try to report back a little later this week on how I feel about it.
My friend had mentioned the same thing that they haven't seen the anime in decades. I suggested to watch the show first so you're not as disappointed lol.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye this morning. I like it. It is fun to see how much they borrowed from the comic (heavily) and then recalibrated everything to fix within the context of the MCU.

Clint is now deaf but as a result of hearing loss as opposed to being born deaf. Clint’s Apartment in the comic is now Kate’s apartments. While Kate’s Aunts apartment was just Kates apartment in the comic. Pizza Dog is there but he’s more Kate’s dog than Clint’s. It’s also pretty clear the Kate’s mom is either engaged The Swordsman or a protégé of The Swordsman depending how they decide to spin it. There was a black market auction but instead of for a VHS tape it was for an Avengers watch. You also got a reference to a hurricane by Kate’s father and Grills! I was happy he was referenced I would imagine he will return later in story obvious he is now a black paramedic rather than the dude that man’s the grills at the rooftop cookouts. Sadly he also seems to know Clint is Hawkeye as opposed to “Hawkguy” but we can’t have everything I suppose.

The thing I enjoyed the most in relation to the plot is the opening scene of the destruction that occurred in NYC during the first Avengers movie from the perspective of someone caught up in the moment. The other thing that was great was I think them showing Clint’s uncomfortableness with being a hero/celebrity. I felt like it paid reference to what many veterans go through when they return from service. Lastly, I think this is as much of a Kate Bishop origin story as anything and Hailee Steinfeld is a perfect Kate, I hope they continue to develop and run with her character because she is absolutely charming.

I started Reservation Dogs last night and binge-watched 5 episodes today as I dealt with booster-side-effects.
This show is fantastic. The soundtrack is amazing, but that's not even the best part. It just really hits the right spots for me.

I know I’m late the game but was wondering thoughts on Euphoria? Worth diving into S1 before S2 comes out in January?
I liked it a lot. It feels like it strattles the line between a teenage drama snow vs dangers of technology when it comes to kids today.
I think it's worth a watch. I still haven't watched the special episodes that came out after season 1 but I plan to before season 2.

In terms of cowboy bebop, i ended up watching the whole thing. I do like some of the rounding of the characters now that I got thru it. It kind of interpreted and filled in a lot of the blanks. i'm not sure how I feel about the changed ending though... The order is like all messed up with Ed showing up at the end and... certain characters still living... not to spoil anything. I understand they did it this way to make room for a season 2 and wanted to go out with a bang but I'd probably prefer if they left this to the end..

Back