Television

I watched Woodstock 99 last night, and I really enjoyed it, for what it is. I think it's a great commentary on an aspect of the 90s that isn't talked about enough. Also it is fucking crazy that the two dudes who run Woodstock are interviewed in it and still maintain that 1) women were sort of asking for the stuff that happened to them and 2) MTV is to blame and 3) most people had a good time. They look awful in this, and I don't even think they get that.

Now this is part of an HBO music doc series? What are the next ones gonna be? I don't think I've heard anything.

I watched Woodstock 99 last night, and I really enjoyed it, for what it is. I think it's a great commentary on an aspect of the 90s that isn't talked about enough. Also it is fucking crazy that the two dudes who run Woodstock are interviewed in it and still maintain that 1) women were sort of asking for the stuff that happened to them and 2) MTV is to blame and 3) most people had a good time. They look awful in this, and I don't even think they get that.

Now this is part of an HBO music doc series? What are the next ones gonna be? I don't think I've heard anything.

There was a trailer that played for me after watching this. The other ones are Alanis Morrisette, DMX, Juice Wrld, Kenny G and I think John Travolta and/or Saturday Night Fever.

There was a trailer that played for me after watching this. The other ones are Alanis Morrisette, DMX, Juice Wrld, Kenny G and I think John Travolta and/or Saturday Night Fever.
None of the topic of the upcoming docs are in my wheelhouse but there were a lot of the 30 for 30 entries that didn’t excite me initially that turned out to be fantastic so I’m hopeful most of these will be similar in that regard.

On a semi related note Paramount+ is relaunching Behind The Music on July 29th, the first artist they are doing is Busta Rhymes. I am anticipating that premier for sure.

Just finished the first episode of McCartney 1,2,3 on Hulu. You go into these things thinking what else is there to say about the Beatles? Rick Rubin seems to have pulled genuine excitement and enthusiasm out of McCartney discussing his process. Great interpersonal stories between Paul and rest of the band as well. I'm tempted to binge but I think I will savor these over time.

Just finished the first episode of McCartney 1,2,3 on Hulu. You go into these things thinking what else is there to say about the Beatles? Rick Rubin seems to have pulled genuine excitement and enthusiasm out of McCartney discussing his process. Great interpersonal stories between Paul and rest of the band as well. I'm tempted to binge but I think I will savor these over time.
It's so fantastic isn't it? Watching those two just jam to some of the songs as they stand over the board is so cool. It does seem genuine to me. And I have always loved the nuts and bolts talk about songs; isolated tracks, miking techniques, all of it!

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend the book Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick.

I think this belongs here?
Post Malone, Limp Bizkit, and Journey here I come!

i've HEARD about woodstock 99.. specifically how limp bizkit turned it into a riot...

but I dunno there have been a LOT of pretty good music documentaries out very recently for all of the big streaming platforms (Disney + is getting the lengthy beatles documentary, there is that hulu paul mccartney documentary, now this)
Fred Durst is awful, but they really aren't close to responsible for that disaster.

I've been watching the documentary a little at a time since Friday night, and just finished it tonight.
Oof, yeah that’s rough. The delusional promoter blaming the women for being sexually assaulted, blaming Fred Durst for the riots, and then Blaming MTV for unfair media coverage was pretty rich. It was really enthralling doc though I might need to rewatch the Summer of Soul to clear my palette. Also, I am not a germaphobe but people playing in shit made be a bit ill.
Exactly. I was 15 when this happened and everyone knew it was going to be a nightmare.
Yeah, I was in college, and I remember being mildly shocked, but not at all surprised, if that makes sense?

I don't know any women who saw Woodstock '99 footage on Saturday and doubted girls were being assaulted there. By Sunday I was I'll just thinking about it. 10 assaults my ass. Those fuckshit organizers should be shunned forever.

And the sewage portion of the doc... I had to shut it down for the evening.

TV repair update! They put me off until next Monday. (Glad I borrowed one.)

Speaking of watching TV, I can't find Woodstock 99 on my HBO On Demand. It is on HBO right?

TV repair update! They put me off until next Monday. (Glad I borrowed one.)

Speaking of watching TV, I can't find Woodstock 99 on my HBO On Demand. It is on HBO right?
It might be HBO Max only. If you are getting HBO through your cable provider it might be worth looking into dropping it from your TV package and signing up for the HBO Max separately.

It might be HBO Max only. If you are getting HBO through your cable provider it might be worth looking into dropping it from your TV package and signing up for the HBO Max separately.
Time to cut the cable as they say. Well, once I have a smart TV again.
I know not everything that is on Max is on HBO cable, but is everything on HBO cable on found on Max?

Time to cut the cable as they say. Well, once I have a smart TV again.
I know not everything that is on Max is on HBO cable, but is everything on HBO cable on found on Max?
I am fairly certain that is the case. I switched to Max from my cable provider because the additional cost was negligible and you do get a whole lot more. I used to be able to call Comcast every 6 months and get them to give me free HBO but about like 9 years of doing that they took a hardline so I quit going through cable and switched to “HBO Now” which was the same cost but not through a cable provider. Then they discontinued Now and moved even more stuff over to Max.

For me it’s worth it for the Adult Swim (including Rick and Morty) content alone but they also have a lot of classic Loony Tunes (which I adore) plus a nice collection of “TMC” movies and while it’s not my thing, I believe they are currently the exclusive streaming home to Friends. Though, I think the last TV show I streamed on there was Head Of The Class for some reason.

I am fairly certain that is the case. I switched to Max from my cable provider because the additional cost was negligible and you do get a whole lot more. I used to be able to call Comcast every 6 months and get them to give me free HBO but about like 9 years of doing that they took a hardline so I quit going through cable and switched to “HBO Now” which was the same cost but not through a cable provider. Then they discontinued Now and moved even more stuff over to Max.

For me it’s worth it for the Adult Swim (including Rick and Morty) content alone but they also have a lot of classic Loony Tunes (which I adore) plus a nice collection of “TMC” movies and while it’s not my thing, I believe they are currently the exclusive streaming home to Friends. Though, I think the last TV show I streamed on there was Head Of The Class for some reason.
I think I can truly do without cable. And I don't watch network TV aside from golf or football, and morning weather. Plus we pay for Netflix and Hulu already.
Too many subs <----sung to Too Many Cooks
Yep. I'm doing it. Once they field destroy my TV and send me another or a rebate. So, sometime in September I figure. :rolleyes:

Back