Television

Just started watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show for the first time ever. I grew up watching Nick at Nite and all those old sitcoms but MTMS never crossed my radar. I’ve heard about it for years as being groundbreaking and legitimately good, so here I am.

Just started watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show for the first time ever. I grew up watching Nick at Nite and all those old sitcoms but MTMS never crossed my radar. I’ve heard about it for years as being groundbreaking and legitimately good, so here I am.
I'm old enough to remember my parents watching it when it originally ran. I watch the reruns on my antenna channel DECADES during the day. It is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. MTM and all the surrounding characters are brilliant.

I came in here trashing Mare of Easttown after watching one episode and I need to come back and let you all know how wrong I was. Honestly, I chalk a lot of that up to Kenny, who on introduction felt like such a Leo Johnson from Twin Peaks level cartoonishly dumb redneck type. But yeah, the show's very good; I'm glad it's been more about the characters than the mystery (that may have been another reason I was down on the pilot; the inciting murder seemed a little rote).

Also, I just finished my first ever watchthrough of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. It's very weird because it turns out I remember a decent number of episodes from watching it in syndication in the 90s (Hard Time is one which really stuck with me all these years). I liked it overall; funny enough, the show gets a lot of credit for introducing serialized story arcs and presaging a lot of trends in television storytelling in the next decade or two, but by the time I reached the end of the 10-episode concluding story arc I really missed the more self-contained episodes.

I came in here trashing Mare of Easttown after watching one episode and I need to come back and let you all know how wrong I was. Honestly, I chalk a lot of that up to Kenny, who on introduction felt like such a Leo Johnson from Twin Peaks level cartoonishly dumb redneck type. But yeah, the show's very good; I'm glad it's been more about the characters than the mystery (that may have been another reason I was down on the pilot; the inciting murder seemed a little rote).

Also, I just finished my first ever watchthrough of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. It's very weird because it turns out I remember a decent number of episodes from watching it in syndication in the 90s (Hard Time is one which really stuck with me all these years). I liked it overall; funny enough, the show gets a lot of credit for introducing serialized story arcs and presaging a lot of trends in television storytelling in the next decade or two, but by the time I reached the end of the 10-episode concluding story arc I really missed the more self-contained episodes.
I'm currently in the middle of Mare, just finished episode 3, and I love Kate. She's just spectacular and the show itself is good. I have a theory of what I think is going on but I'm not 100% caught up so I'm not ready to say anything until I get caught up.

We blew through season 1 of For All Mankind. We'll start season 2 tonight. You can really tell it's a Ron Moore show. I love shows that twist a historical event to have a different outcome. The effects are great and the acting is pretty good even if Joel Kinnaman is playing the same character from other shows and movies he done prior.

I'm currently in the middle of Mare, just finished episode 3, and I love Kate. She's just spectacular and the show itself is good. I have a theory of what I think is going on but I'm not 100% caught up so I'm not ready to say anything until I get caught up.

Through to end of episode 6 now ..shaping up to be a great series ..episode 5 was one of the best single episodes of TV I’ve seen for a long time ..as good as True Detective series 1 imo

Has anyone given Underground Railroad a shot? I watched ~80% of the first episode and found it really challenging without presenting anything different from the misery parade we've been seeing in a lot of recent black-focused stories. I don't think this is Barry Jenkins' intention, but with media like Antebellum and Them, where black bodies are brutalized mainly for the benefit of a white audience to point and say "well that isn't us, that was just the past" and both find entertainment in black suffering while also shedding themselves of any responsibility for it. It's just getting old, and I'm pretty tired of the only stories about people in my family that get made being stories about us being kept down.

Again, not saying that's Jenkins' intention, and I've read the Whitehead novel already...but so far I've only felt More of The Same from the show. Curious if anyone's encountered it and has thoughts.

All caught up on Mare of Easttown. All the early comparisons to the cliche 'small town, big crime' storylines certainly don't do this show justice. This is peak TV right here. Just incredibly well done and a masterclass in tension building.
I'm caught up too. I absolutely love Winslet's performance, she has been amazing.

The scene where she came in the door and broke down after trying to talk to Colin's mom...just wow

Is anyone else watching the 1971 music documentary on Apple TV?? One episode in and I’m loving it so far.

I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it but my wife and I watched the trailer last night and it looks like something we'd enjoy.

Wow, just watched the trailer...it gave me goosebumps. I've been wanting to do the trial of Apple TV so we could watch For All Mankind and Ted Lasso...this just took cuts.

Back