Television

This morning I’m watching the first ever Survivor Series held Thanksgiving night November 26, 1987 at the Richfield Coliseum just outside in of Cleveland, OH.

I won’t pepper the TV Thread w/ photos today but just so ya know...
6D9D574A-CFB3-48B7-A8A1-374A6A7554B1.jpeg

I haven't started anything new since I finished the Sopranos in December. Just took me so long, I guess I just haven't had the energy for another long-term commitment.

Just finished a rewatch of Samurai Champloo, a classic, and finished Joe Pera Talks With You, which is genuinely some of the most comforting and wholesome tv out there. Amazing that it came from Adult Swim.

Thinking about a rewatch of either Curb or Sunny, but I haven't decided yet. Maybe another comfy one-off anime. I've only been in the mood for comfy stuff, so Six Feet Under and The Wire will have to wait.

@TenderLovingKiller® - you're cracking me up with the wrestling posts. I seem to remember someone from that old company that really liked this stuff. ;)
LOL. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. It was so much fun. I loved everything about it. I just watched Wrestlemania IV and while not as good as III (I doubt many PPV’s are) I got my first dose of the Ultimate Warrior so it was still pretty rad.

LOL. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. It was so much fun. I loved everything about it. I just watched Wrestlemania IV and while not as good as III (I doubt many PPV’s are) I got my first dose of the Ultimate Warrior so it was still pretty rad.
My dad's best friend from high school was really into wrestling so these posts were taking me back. Was there a guy named Spike (not from Buffy) or something like that that had black and white face paint? I feel like he was my favorite but that if I were to look him up I'd be horrified by that.

My dad's best friend from high school was really into wrestling so these posts were taking me back. Was there a guy named Spike (not from Buffy) or something like that that had black and white face paint? I feel like he was my favorite but that if I were to look him up I'd be horrified by that.
STING!
BD42E365-88EC-4FC5-B233-E9B94E772727.jpeg
He wrestled for WCW (WWF’s main rival at the time). Sting was great and yeah he had a The Crow type remake in the 90s to make him more edgy... Though, his 80s style was pretty dope too...
0F889BE2-E6C6-4E87-B2E2-FA70F6A07C37.jpeg

STING!
View attachment 93969
He wrestled for WCW (WWF’s main rival at the time). Sting was great and yeah he had a The Crow type remake in the 90s to make him more edgy... Though, his 80s style was pretty dope too...
View attachment 93970
lol, I remember Sting's vibe switch. Doesn't WWE own WCW & ECW assets? Are old WCW & ECW shows available on WWE's streaming platform? That would be awesome. While I was into the early Macho Man & Hogan era of WWF, I was really too young at the time. I really got into it in the NWO era WCW and Attitude era WWF. Pretty much did a hard stop sometime after WWF bought out WCW & ECW though.

lol, I remember Sting's vibe switch. Doesn't WWE own WCW & ECW assets? Are old WCW & ECW shows available on WWE's streaming platform? That would be awesome. While I was into the early Macho Man & Hogan era of WWF, I was really too young at the time. I really got into it in the NWO era WCW and Attitude era WWF. Pretty much did a hard stop sometime after WWF bought out WCW & ECW though.
They do and they are. I am still working my way through the classic WWF pay-per-views but it looks like they have both classic WCW and ECW events available for streaming as well.

We got to the 24 episode of The Simpsons during the full series rewatch and that spurred wanting to watch 24 again.

24 was the very first "adult" TV show I ever watched. My mom, my dad and myself always found time to watch it together, no matter what. I distinctly recall one time we were on vacation in Florida and we purposely didn't do anything whichever evening it aired so we didn't miss the episode. My sister didn't watch it and was pissed because I think she wanted to go to Downtown Disney or something like that.

I had not seen all of the series before, I started watching in season 2 or 3 when it aired. Season 1 is good, very X-Files-y. Lots of similar soundtracking, very 90s feeling to it when it aired in 2001. Also a Fox show so I assume they shared production and sets with each other. Also seriously addictive. I forgot how every single goddamn episode ends with a cliffhanger. We started watching last weekend and are already 16 episodes into the first season not even a week later.

Highly recommend it to anyone looking for something really gripping that is anything but a slog. I hadn't seen it in so many years that I though there were going to be more patriotic themes and I would dislike it, but that's not the case.

I hadn't seen it in so many years that I though there were going to be more patriotic themes and I would dislike it, but that's not the case.
As I recall the main beef with 24 wasn't the patriotism, it was how casual the show became about demonstrating that torturing brown people gets you good intel. Jack goes around casually confirming time after time after time that torture is necessary, it is just, and it is effective. 24 never said we should be *proud* of it, it just committed the sister sin of telling us that it's good strategy.

As I recall the main beef with 24 wasn't the patriotism, it was how casual the show became about demonstrating that torturing brown people gets you good intel. Jack goes around casually confirming time after time after time that torture is necessary, it is just, and it is effective. 24 never said we should be *proud* of it, it just committed the sister sin of telling us that it's good strategy.
I was much younger and oblivious at the peak of 24, so my main beef with it was how ridiculous it was (see Kim vs cougar). But that was also why I loved that show 😂

If you want a show as ridiculous as 24 but a little more nuanced, Homeland was created by a couple of 24’s writers. Claire Daines plays that character like 👌 and Mandy Patinkin is great as always.

Anyone watching Invincible on Amazon Prime? The wife and I watched the first two episodes (I think 3 are available right now) yesterday. It's pretty good. Starts out kind of as a quirky supers thing and kind of takes a left turn by the end of the first episode. Enjoying it so far.

I'd say if you like Harley Quinn and/or The Boys, you'd like the style and tone of this. Or, if you haven't seen either, if you just like good shows.

Yeah it’s very laughable at times what he does. He’d be arrested so fast if he did any of the countless things he does in the first season.
I was much younger and oblivious at the peak of 24, so my main beef with it was how ridiculous it was (see Kim vs cougar). But that was also why I loved that show 😂

If you want a show as ridiculous as 24 but a little more nuanced, Homeland was created by a couple of 24’s writers. Claire Daines plays that character like 👌 and Mandy Patinkin is great as always.
I’ve seen the first two seasons of Homeland when it aired, never bothered finishing it. The first season was seriously amazing, second season not as much. Is it worth finishing at some point?

That reminds me! I was at my now in-laws house, home by myself for some reason, can't remember if we were engaged yet or not. Decided to start watching Homeland with their fancy on demand cable. Got to the 3rd episode or so, some nude scene, and my wife's quite conservative father comes home to grab something real quick. So, I slyly pause it when it cuts to not nudity. He walks in and talks to me a minute, walks through the room, comes back through the room to leave, says, "wow, that's something." I look at the tv, and I guess the pause was delayed, as it is a frozen, giant, boob. Then he leaves. Never finished the season 😅. Still get embarrassed thinking about that.

Yeah it’s very laughable at times what he does. He’d be arrested so fast if he did any of the countless things he does in the first season.

I’ve seen the first two seasons of Homeland when it aired, never bothered finishing it. The first season was seriously amazing, second season not as much. Is it worth finishing at some point?
I remember the early storyline got stale, but there were some good seasons in the middle. I still liked the last couple of seasons, but the show probably could’ve ended earlier than it did

I don't know who the audience is for a steampunk "feminist" female superhero show created by Joss Whedon on HBO is in 2021. They can pretend like he "stepped away" but we know his fingerprints are going to be ALL OVER it.

Back