Television

We’re actually re-watching all of Great British Bake Off alongside the new season. What a nice comfort it is. Also a good reminder that Mary, Mel, and Sue are all better than the ones that have come after.
I was thinking about this watching the latest episode yesterday and even though I really liked Mel and Sue, I thought Matt and Noel were really funny. They do absurdist comedy they just works in that setting. Prue is fine, I miss Mary because she’d have a lot of one liners/phrases that are fun to hear; “no soggy bottom”, “that’s a bit of alright”, “nice layers (said like “lairs”)”, “that’s scrummy”.

I was thinking about this watching the latest episode yesterday and even though I really liked Mel and Sue, I thought Matt and Noel were really funny. They do absurdist comedy they just works in that setting. Prue is fine, I miss Mary because she’d have a lot of one liners/phrases that are fun to hear; “no soggy bottom”, “that’s a bit of alright”, “nice layers (said like “lairs”)”, “that’s scrummy”.
Yeah so much of what Mary says just makes me happy. Prue never really makes me that happy. I find Matt and Noel just I guess different than what I got used to. They’re fine, but they usually don’t do much for me and seem like they are more irritating than they are encouraging. Though the bond between Matt and Laura is a nice little thing I’ve noticed throughout the season.

Yeah so much of what Mary says just makes me happy. Prue never really makes me that happy. I find Matt and Noel just I guess different than what I got used to. They’re fine, but they usually don’t do much for me and seem like they are more irritating than they are encouraging. Though the bond between Matt and Laura is a nice little thing I’ve noticed throughout the season.
I find Matt somewhat irritating, but I think Noel is great. Probably helps that I'm more a fan of The Mighty Boosh than GBB though. It does really seem like they manage to make the bakers feel better when they're upset, they just like to poke fun too and they probably air more of the latter.

Never watched Cheers, that one doesn’t feel dated at all?

also I watched Happy Endings and Party Down when they aired 🤓 (even own the DVDs), great shows
I enjoy that Cheers is “of it’s time” in look and style but the jokes and even a lot of the archetypes represented are for the most part timeless. It’s really well done and chocked full of jokes. It’s actually a three camera comedy filmed in front of a live studio audience, two things that are not super common anymore but when you see one this well done you understand why this was pretty much the standard for sitcoms until the early 2000s.

Last edited:
The Queen's Gambit might be the best television I've watched in this most awful of years.
I have some nitpicks with it, but yes, I loved it. Very satisfying, nicely told story. The production design is stunning as well, and also I have a huge crush on Anya Taylor Joy.

The Queen's Gambit might be the best television I've watched in this most awful of years.
I'm through episode 2 and it is fantastic. Has a bit of odd acting here and there but the story is compelling enough.
I watched the first two episodes and couldn't get into it. I couldn't relate to the characters and got bored with it. I even enjoy playing chess. It just didn't grab me, it felt so emotionless.

I keep hearing that and haven’t started to watch just yet. But it’s on my to-do list

We finished it last night, it's pretty good overall. Anya Taylor-Joy is so captivating, I liked the score and soundtrack, cinematography was solid (even with some noticeable CGI) and it's a fun story as well. There are things that bothered me here and there, but nothing that would have me not recommend it.
I'm giving it 3.5 of 5, a solid B+

My problem is that we've started watching a movie a night in quarantine, and on most accounts TV just falls short. I like it when TV tries to lean into its strengths (Mandalorian is great) but overall movies are just so much better made (acting, writing, directing, cinematography, etc.)

Finished Raised by Wolves this week and it just made me feel so much stronger about this.

Seen one episode of Queen's Gambit. It's fine.

Like everything on Netflix is gets tremendously overrated based purely on the fact that everyone has Netflix.
I'd encourage you to stick with Queen's Gambit - the first episode is a bit slow but it definitely gets much better.

I didn’t watch The Queen’s Gambit when it first came to Netflix because I hate when shows have a trailer that is literally telling you the entire plot of the show in 2 minutes. I didn’t feel like I needed to watch it since there’s so many Netflix shows out there. I finally broke down when I saw the high praise it was getting and I was glad I did. Excellent show, a little dark and sad at times but really enjoyable.

My problem is that we've started watching a movie a night in quarantine, and on most accounts TV just falls short. I like it when TV tries to lean into its strengths (Mandalorian is great) but overall movies are just so much better made (acting, writing, directing, cinematography, etc.)

Finished Raised by Wolves this week and it just made me feel so much stronger about this.
Merits to both film and tv imo. They're both good for different reasons! There are certain things you can only do in a movie that you can't do in a show and vice versa.

Back