Television

Really, really funny if you like totally unPC comedy. If not, it ain't for you. Torrents are widely available if you don't wanna pay him.
I was reading an AV Club article about it and one of the commenters who had seen it said that it's strange to watch, that he still has the skills of one of the masters of his craft, but that there's a cloud hanging over almost every joke he tells. At this point I think I'm more curious about that, in the can't-look-away sense, than I am in hearing his new material.

I wish I'd gotten around to watching Horace & Pete before I had all this new info about him in my brain.

Bear with it ...hint ..it’s a non linear time line
So I had remembered reading that when it first came out, but even going into it knowing it's the case, my wife and I still couldn't figure out what was happening in different timelines until they come right out and confirm some stuff in the third episode.

It's enjoyable in a goofy way so far (3 eps in), and I've heard it gets better as it all comes together, but those first couple of episodes are DENSE with information. So. Many. Names. As someone who had no familiarity with any of the source material, there are also a lot of scenes where I can't tell if the show is giving me little peeks at things it'll explain later, or if it's stuff I'm just supposed to already know about the characters through cultural osmosis and won't be able to appreciate otherwise.

So I had remembered reading that when it first came out, but even going into it knowing it's the case, my wife and I still couldn't figure out what was happening in different timelines until they come right out and confirm some stuff in the third episode.

It's enjoyable in a goofy way so far (3 eps in), and I've heard it gets better as it all comes together, but those first couple of episodes are DENSE with information. So. Many. Names. As someone who had no familiarity with any of the source material, there are also a lot of scenes where I can't tell if the show is giving me little peeks at things it'll explain later, or if it's stuff I'm just supposed to already know about the characters through cultural osmosis and won't be able to appreciate otherwise.

Yep , I’m sure from memory that we were struggling around the third episode mark and you’ll get an episode soon that makes the whole plot and back story a bit more easy to get a handle on and it gets progressively better ... I enjoyed it anyways ...

Around Ep 5 it starts making more sense, and hitting its stride IMO.

That said, thoroughly enjoying this new season of Westworld so far :)

Around Ep 5 it starts making more sense, and hitting its stride IMO.

That said, thoroughly enjoying this new season of Westworld so far :)

I’ve got westworld 3 stacked up to watch ... really enjoyed both seasons so fa4 , and Witcher reminded me of season 1 of westworld when the timelines made sense eventually

• On Fire
Reactions: Tyr
Finished the most recent season of Archer yesterday. Just one of those shows that is consistently funny and enjoyable for me.

Haven't started the new Ozarks season yet. My wife has started a rewatch of Community so that's been the TV time in the evening that would otherwise be for Ozarks.

Who’s gonna take this bullet and report back?

I, too, am curious. I feel like there's a universe/timeline where I'd dip my toe in and find out, but with the way he's (failed to) handle the situation beyond an initial apology, and based on the aggressive way his remaining fans tend to support him, that's a no for me, dawg.

Really, really funny if you like totally unPC comedy. If not, it ain't for you. Torrents are widely available if you don't wanna pay him.

Does he discuss what happened at all? I read an article about his recent sets, and the situation sounded kinda dire, like he knew that only a certain section of his fanbase was still supporting him (you know, the "well how did he do something wrong if he asked permission?" contingent), and he was coming to terms with that.

I, too, am curious. I feel like there's a universe/timeline where I'd dip my toe in and find out, but with the way he's (failed to) handle the situation beyond an initial apology, and based on the aggressive way his remaining fans tend to support him, that's a no for me, dawg.

Does he discuss what happened at all? I read an article about his recent sets, and the situation sounded kinda dire, like he knew that only a certain section of his fanbase was still supporting him (you know, the "well how did he do something wrong if he asked permission?" contingent), and he was coming to terms with that.

Yeah, he discusses it. To paraphrase, he suggests he's learnt from it. That women and men deem consent differently dependent on circumstances. It's not heavy, he intertwines it really well within his act and treats it as much as a 'look at what a dick I am' moment rather than a serious cathartic episode which, as someone tuning into watch a comedy hour, I was grateful for personally. I'm sure others would disagree and expect/want more of an outpouring of soul-searching but that's not present here.

Yeah, he discusses it. To paraphrase, he suggests he's learnt from it. That women and men deem consent differently dependent on circumstances. It's not heavy, he intertwines it really well within his act and treats it as much as a 'look at what a dick I am' moment rather than a serious cathartic episode which, as someone tuning into watch a comedy hour, I was grateful for personally. I'm sure others would disagree and expect/want more of an outpouring of soul-searching but that's not present here.
I don’t mean to / want to adjudicate what happened, but “men and women see consent differently” seems like a wild misinterpretation of the situation (and really sidesteps the fact that he blacklisted people to silence them), but oh well. Just to be clear, I don’t condemn anyone for wanting to watch the special; I do find it super weird that CK, who I really admired for his sense of self-examination and seeming willingness to change his perspective based on empathy, is pretty much letting us decide whether what we feel about what happened affects whether we support him.

On a weirdly related note, has anyone else been keeping up with this season of RuPaul’s Drag Race? Early in the season, one of the contestants, Sherry Pie, was outed for having catfished several men previously to having competed on the show. The show started airing a disclaimer, saying that they condemned this behavior, but that they’d be airing the season as is, though Sherry would be disqualified from participating in the finale, which is yet to be aired.

The ensuing season has been BIZARRE; every episode after #3 or so has obviously edited out Sherry, including episodes where she wins the challenge. I respect that the producers were in a bad spot, but the editing has really hamstrung the narrative of the season, since Sherry clearly is a frontrunner, and they’re removing every testimonial, interaction, and even her catwalk appearance in the most recent episode. This has even been to the detriment of other contestants’ narratives; if the editors are pulling every bit of Sherry out, that means even if Jan or Heidi may be saying something to Sherry, or Sherry responds to them, that interaction is being lifted out. So say someone’s arc involved befriending or fighting Sherry, that means that arc is butchered and removed. It’s a very weird season. I imagine at this point, it’s GiGi’s to win.

it is very dumb. I’d be surprised if it lasts 4 months. I don’t think anyone really wants this
It’s got big money behind it (Jeff Katzenberg was promoting from his yacht this morning on Today) and they have be promoting the fuck out of it. I bet it sticks around for a while. The YouTube comparison fall a bit short, they are curating original exclusive content where YouTube you have access to almost anything and everything (for better or worse). Like any venture of this nature, it needs to get a show or two to catch the national zeitgeist to catch on. That being said nothing about it has really piqued my interest.

It’s got big money behind it (Jeff Katzenberg was promoting from his yacht this morning on Today) and they have be promoting the fuck out of it. I bet it sticks around for a while. The YouTube comparison fall a bit short, they are curating original exclusive content where YouTube you have access to almost anything and everything (for better or worse). Like any venture of this nature, it needs to get a show or two to catch the national zeitgeist to catch on. That being said nothing about it has really piqued my interest.
Yeah it's not quite Youtube, but the draw of people wanting to watch scripted/non-scripted but TV-like content in bite sized format feels...weird. It's like when Snapchat was doing original shows (disclaimer: I was never on snapchat, too old for that, but I knew these existed). Why? Why is this a thing? They have definitely been pushing it. I have seen so many ads about it over the past month, but I have seen/heard nobody being excited for it.

Back