Television

I know this is the TV thread, but I don't go into the Movie thread. It got big really fast and I can't keep up. So.....

I watched The Platform on Netflix so you all don't have to. That movie about the tower of prisoners - 2 to a floor - and a platform with food visits each floor. And the higher floors clearly get more of the food and the lower floors well, don't.

OMG.

Not the best choice I've ever made in my life.

I know this is the TV thread, but I don't go into the Movie thread. It got big really fast and I can't keep up. So.....

I watched The Platform on Netflix so you all don't have to. That movie about the tower of prisoners - 2 to a floor - and a platform with food visits each floor. And the higher floors clearly get more of the food and the lower floors well, don't.

OMG.

Yep ..I’ve posted about this on the movie thread...once seen..never forgotten..my wife still hasn’t forgiven me

Yep ..I’ve posted about this on the movie thread...once seen..never forgotten..my wife still hasn’t forgiven me

Ok, so it seems some of the volunteered to be in there? To get a degree? I didn't understand that at all. What degree?

OMG.

Some of you never had to read William Sleator’s House of Stairs in junior high and it shows.

Ok, so it seems some of the volunteered to be in there? To get a degree? I didn't understand that at all. What degree?

I think the degree was just bait you could have whatever you wanted to take part as a sweetener ..obviously the point was no one would ever get out ..as unless humanity works together and shared the food equally ..eventually everyone would starve or murder each other ..literally those at the top shitting on those at the bottom ...heavy handed message but an intriguing film, ending was weak but think he died so the child could live and hopefully bring an end to the experience

I have never heard of it but if it is similar to The Platform, I will NOT be reading it. Lol
Haven’t watched it yet, actually, just seems like a similar premise. It’s a YA novel that’s basically Cube x Lord of the Flies x Breakfast Club.
5 teens wake up in a space with no walls or ceiling, just endless flights of stairs. On a landing they find a device that dispenses food, but it starts conditioning them by only dispensing the food if they modify their behavior in certain ways. Also: puberty.

Haven’t watched it yet, actually, just seems like a similar premise. It’s a YA novel that’s basically Cube x Lord of the Flies x Breakfast Club.
5 teens wake up in a space with no walls or ceiling, just endless flights of stairs. On a landing they find a device that dispenses food, but it starts conditioning them by only dispensing the food if they modify their behavior in certain ways. Also: puberty.
But Platform has added sausage dog factor

Does anybody know anything about this new Amazon show Tales from the Loop? Do I understand correctly that it's based on...paintings?

Edit: The AV Club is pretty enthusiastic about it, which is usually good enough for me.
I was unsure what it was based on too, but yeah seeing the positive review made me curious enough to give it a shot today.

Does anybody know anything about this new Amazon show Tales from the Loop? Do I understand correctly that it's based on...paintings?

Edit: The AV Club is pretty enthusiastic about it, which is usually good enough for me.
Oh holy moly! I've been hearing this show's name all week and I never made the connection; the show is based on art by this Swedish artist I've been following for the better part of a decade now, Simon Stalenhag. His work involves suburban and pastoral settings, with sci-fi elements dropped in. Here's a favorite or two of mine:
eec1dff733eadc5ec217d989055abf5b.jpg

Simon-Stalenhag-Sci-Fi-Paintings-1.jpg

He does a really good job of integrating the mundane with the fantastic, and honestly, his work has this Chris Van Allsberg sort of magic and potential which I think is best left explored in the imagination than through narrative film or fiction. I think I'll have to check the show out, though; if it's inspired by this work, it'll probably have some interesting vibes.

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder if they were hoping people forgot or something.
Been watching more Simpsons while 'tining and was wondering the same thing. Best guess I can think of is they remastered/encoded/censored the entire run in letterbox and have to go back and do the same, episode by episode, again for the 4:3.

Been watching more Simpsons while 'tining and was wondering the same thing. Best guess I can think of is they remastered/encoded/censored the entire run in letterbox and have to go back and do the same, episode by episode, again for the 4:3.
I can't believe some idiot greenlighted cutting out so many things. I guess I get that some people might be turned off by 4:3, but the idea that it would only be available cropped and stretched is crazy to me. 16:9 should always have been the bonus, if it happened.

Back