Technical Difficulties Thread

Possibly. You’ll need to unplug the Sansui and let it sit for a half hour or so to let the capacitors discharge. You’ll need some contact cleaner.

Remove the case.

The contact cleaner will have a small tube so you can get into tight spots.

Spray the contact cleaner into the opening in the selector switch. Manually operate the switch 20 times or so.

Repeat on other controls: volume, bass, treble etc. Move those knobs quickly up and down as well.

Give everything a half hour to dry out. If you’ve sprayed too much and have obvious puddles, sop those up.

Thanks. I imagine there's some youtube videos on how to do that, which will help. Never have taken stuff apart before

ACTUALLY WAIT, I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!!!!!!

so i live on the first floor of my apartment building (therefore, in the ground) and in late March, my complex decided to cement a new parking lot right outside of where i live. i didn’t use my TT that week, but i remember the drilling and paving was very strong and it would feel everywhere in my apt. now im thinking this might have been the thing to have done something to the TT.

edit: so upon further speculation, i feel this might be an issue that just warrants me sending the TT to u-turn under the warranty and try to get it fixed or replaced. i’ll send them a message and see where this goes

ok, so an update on this:

i had packed up my turntable for uturn to fix, but i never got around to sending it bc too busy. last week, i decided to unpack it just to test it again to see if the problem was still there and if it was still worth sending it over. turns out the turntable’s all good nowand is playing all my records with no issues!

so i think all of you guys were right! somehow the TT’s platter and base tilted off balance after construction around my apartment building happened, and i had just never put one and one together. and somehow, me packing the tt and then unpacking it sort of did the trick right now. i guess this means that next time i move (which will be this year), i will have to get a bubble level to make sure the TT itself remains balanced

Last edited:
ok, so an update on this:

i had packed up my turntable for uturn to fix, but i never got around to sending it bc too busy. last week, i decided to unpack it just to test it again to see if the problem was still there and if it was still worth sending it over. turns out the turntable’s all good nowand is playing all my records with no issues!

so i think all of you guys were right! somehow the TT’s platter and base tilted off balance after construction around my apartment building happened, and i had just never put one and one together. and somehow, me packing the tt and then unpacking it sort of did the trick right now. i guess this means that next time i move (which will be this year), i will have to get a bubble level to make sure the TT itself remains balanced
I keep this level near my TT, it's cheap and accurate:
Amazon product ASIN B001OMGKT8

I made some tweaks to my speaker placements and wanted to share with others who may struggle with this.
So I have a pair of Polk RTI a7's which are known for being a little bright as well as needing room to breathe to help the bass. My living area being restricted doesn't help matters. A couple simple things I did was first move the speakers out from the back wall 8" further so now about 18" out, right hand one is against a side wall so no room there. To reduce the muddy bass I placed a simple bed pillow behind each speaker against the wall. The next thing I did was rest the front feet of the speakers on the area rug in front so as to tilt the tweeters up slightly. Lastly i stuffed a sock between the tweeter and the baffle to tame the highs.
I can tell immediately things have tightened up and sound smoother.
Is it perfect? No, but a couple of pillow sleeves to match the wall color and they would be barely noticeable. And way cheaper than new speakers!

I made some tweaks to my speaker placements and wanted to share with others who may struggle with this.
So I have a pair of Polk RTI a7's which are known for being a little bright as well as needing room to breathe to help the bass. My living area being restricted doesn't help matters. A couple simple things I did was first move the speakers out from the back wall 8" further so now about 18" out, right hand one is against a side wall so no room there. To reduce the muddy bass I placed a simple bed pillow behind each speaker against the wall. The next thing I did was rest the front feet of the speakers on the area rug in front so as to tilt the tweeters up slightly. Lastly i stuffed a sock between the tweeter and the baffle to tame the highs.
Is it perfect? No, but a couple of pillow sleeves to match the wall color and they would be barely noticeable. And way cheaper than new speakers!
Bravo! You get the hi-fi MacGyver award, and it's well-deserved! 🍻

Wait, you literally put a sock in it?

I am trying to set up a mini system in my office. Running my TT through my iphono into my dynaudio connect box. The connect box pushes the signal wirelessly. The connect box has inputs for aux, optical, and line in (analog). I cannot get the connect box to pick up the audio signal from the TT. What in the hell am I doing wrong??? (I am pushing a signal from my Sonos intro the connect box, so I know it’s working with that).

I am trying to set up a mini system in my office. Running my TT through my iphono into my dynaudio connect box. The connect box pushes the signal wirelessly. The connect box has inputs for aux, optical, and line in (analog). I cannot get the connect box to pick up the audio signal from the TT. What in the hell am I doing wrong??? (I am pushing a signal from my Sonos intro the connect box, so I know it’s working with that).
I have a similar setup, but with different speakers. I don't know exactly why you don't have a signal. I guess you tried aux and analog input from your iphono? Here is how I do: TT -> phono pre -> shiit sys (volume pot with 2 input/1 output) -> RCA cable to my active speakers (Elac Navis). For digital I have a Discovery Connect box -> shit sys -> RCA cable to speakers. The Sys has a switch to select which source I'm using. I could wirelessly connect the discovery box to the speakers but decided to proceed otherwise. In other word, I don't have my analog going though the box like you do.

Edit: Does your speakers have a volume control? if not (like mine) you will need a passive preamp with volume control (the shiit Sys is inexpensive and works great) otherwise you will have full volume and will damage your speakers (and your ears).

I have a similar setup, but with different speakers. I don't know exactly why you don't have a signal. I guess you tried aux and analog input from your iphono? Here is how I do: TT -> phono pre -> shiit sys (volume pot with 2 input/1 output) -> RCA cable to my active speakers (Elac Navis). For digital I have a Discovery Connect box -> shit sys -> RCA cable to speakers. The Sys has a switch to select which source I'm using. I could wirelessly connect the discovery box to the speakers but decided to proceed otherwise. In other word, I don't have my analog going though the box like you do.

Edit: Does your speakers have a volume control? if not (like mine) you will need a passive preamp with volume control (the shiit Sys is inexpensive and works great) otherwise you will have full volume and will damage your speakers (and your ears).
So the Dynaudio rep said I need to scroll/toggle through the input selection. IE: the aux and analogue are both on "#1" input. I will be trying that today and will report back. This might be the solution as my Sonos is on the Aux and is working. FTR I am happy with Dynaudio products but the control boxes on their Xeo set ups suck. Why can't more products be like Apple...and just WORK!? I cannot even find an instruction manual on line for the remote...WTF?

I also posted this in the Pro-Ject Pergola thread...

Please help...
I'm suffering from a really bad sibilance problem on several audiophile records...
  1. Dave Brubeck - Time Out 45RPM (Analogue Productions)
  2. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman 33RPM (Analogue Productions)
  3. Bill Evans & Jim Hall - Undercurrent (MoFi)
  4. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours 45 RPM (Pallas)

The above list is just to name a few to help describe the types of records that are giving me issues. There's a common theme with high pitched sounds, specifically piano-based stuff. It's a real shame because it seems to be most prominent on some of my most expensive and otherwise lauded records. I'm hoping there is something in my setup that stands out to others as a probable culprit. My cartridge is very new - purchased/installed in October with less than 100 hours on it.

Interestingly I have an old copy of Rumours 33RPM and played it just after the 45 and I don't hear the same sibilance issues on "Songbird" at 33RPM that I heard at 45RPM. The 33 copy is old and scratched, so it's got its own issues, but the sibilance doesn't seem to be there. Also, I just played Spotify through the same receiver and speakers and there's not sibilance on "Songbird" there at all. It sounds even better than the old press. So, I'm inclined to believe it's the cartridge or preamp (shrug).

It's really getting in the way of my enjoyment. Can you help me?

Last edited:

Please help...
I'm suffering from a really bad sibilance problem on several audiophile records...
  1. Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Analogue Productions)
  2. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman (Analogue Productions)

The above list is just to name a few to help describe the types of records that are giving me issues. There's a common theme with high pitched sounds, specifically piano-based stuff. It's a real shame because it seems to be most prominent on some of my most expensive and otherwise launded records. I'm hoping there is something in my setup that stands out to others as a probable culprit. My cartridge is very new - purchased/installed in October with less than 100 hours on it.

Interestingly I have an old copy of Rumours 33RPM and played it just after the 45 and I don't hear the same sibilance issues on "Songbird" at 33RPM that I heard at 45RPM. The 33 copy is old and scratched, so it's got its own issues, but the sibilance doesn't seem to be there. Also, I just played Spotify through the same receiver and speakers and there's not sibilance on "Songbird" there at all. It sounds even better than the old press. So, I'm inclined to believe it's the cartridge or preamp (shrug).

In another post, you mentioned that this was happening mostly on later tracks on either side of the record. Is that the case? or is it an issue on all tracks with the kinds of sounds you've described, regardless of location on the record?

Please help...
  1. Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Analogue Productions)
  2. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman (Analogue Productions)

The above list is just to name a few to help describe the types of records that are giving me issues. There's a common theme with high pitched sounds, specifically piano-based stuff. It's a real shame because it seems to be most prominent on some of my most expensive and otherwise launded records. I'm hoping there is something in my setup that stands out to others as a probable culprit. My cartridge is very new - purchased/installed in October with less than 100 hours on it.

Reposted from another thread:

With the Debut Carbon, you have multiple possibilities:

1. Make sure your tracking force is set at 1.8 grams.

2. Make sure your anti skate is set correctly. The loop should hang from the center notch.

3. Make sure your turntable is level.

4. Double check your alignment. 1mm off can cause problems. Align to Stevenson. Your arm has an 8.6” effective length which prohibits using other alignments.

5. Make sure your Azumuth is set correctly. This is on page 5 of your owner’s manual at the bottom of the page. The cartridge should sit evenly when viewed from the front. It shouldn’t tilt towards one side or the other. You can use a mirror or a CD/DVD to make this easier to see. Look at the reflection. Or you can use a small bubble level on top of the headshell.

I’m guessing the alignment and azimuth are both going to be off. But check all of the steps.

I need some suggestions here.
I have a couple of subwoofers that are acting up.
They're not connected to the same receiver.
One is an Infinity sub that's been popping very loudly at random times when in use (watching movies, it's part of the main home theater setup). I took it to the repair shop, they replaced some capacitors but, after a month or so, the issue returned.
The other is a Polk sub that's been activating it's speaker when it's powered. It doesn't have to be in use, it activates the speaker even when it's unplugged from the receiver and even if it's off or on standby. I have to unplug it from the wall for it to stop.
I live in a small town and there are a couple of electronic repair shops here but, they're not used to dealing with subs.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

In another post, you mentioned that this was happening mostly on later tracks on either side of the record. Is that the case? or is it an issue on all tracks with the kinds of sounds you've described, regardless of location on the record?

You're right. I did mention that. I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence due to these particular songs being more susceptible due to higher pitched sounds, but you reminded me to check...

I just re-listened to Tea for the Tillerman (33RPM) right now and on Side A I didn't notice it until "Miles from Nowhere" which is the last track on the side. Last night I noticed it on "Songbird" and "Gold Dust Woman." Those are each at the end of a side.

Now I'm listening to Time Out (45RPM) and I didn't notice on "Blue Rondo," but on "Strange Meadow Lark" it's maybe the best example of the issue. And that song is at the end of Side A. On "SML" the sibilance is so harsh that it almost sounds like static coming through the speaker during the piano solo at the start of the song and especially on the very high notes.

These could be circumstantial examples, but there does appear to be a pattern.

Reposted from another thread:

With the Debut Carbon, you have multiple possibilities:

1. Make sure your tracking force is set at 1.8 grams.

2. Make sure your anti skate is set correctly. The loop should hang from the center notch.

3. Make sure your turntable is level.

4. Double check your alignment. 1mm off can cause problems. Align to Stevenson. Your arm has an 8.6” effective length which prohibits using other alignments.

5. Make sure your Azumuth is set correctly. This is on page 5 of your owner’s manual at the bottom of the page. The cartridge should sit evenly when viewed from the front. It shouldn’t tilt towards one side or the other. You can use a mirror or a CD/DVD to make this easier to see. Look at the reflection. Or you can use a small bubble level on top of the headshell.

I’m guessing the alignment and azimuth are both going to be off. But check all of the steps.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!
  1. I just checked with my scale and it was at 1.9 grams - adjusted down
  2. Confirmed
  3. Confirmed
  4. Here's where you lose me... I'm not exactly sure how to do this... I changed from Red to Blue stylus but haven't messed with the cartridge at all since purchasing. Can you point me in the right direction here?
  5. Ok, I'll read through the manual and see if I can figure this out - maybe look to YouTube.

You're right. I did mention that. I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence due to these particular songs being more susceptible due to higher pitched sounds, but you reminded me to check...

I just re-listened to Tea for the Tillerman (33RPM) right now and on Side A I didn't notice it until "Miles from Nowhere" which is the last track on the side. Last night I noticed it on "Songbird" and "Gold Dust Woman." Those are each at the end of a side.

Now I'm listening to Time Out (45RPM) and I didn't notice on "Blue Rondo," but on "Strange Meadow Lark" it's maybe the best example of the issue. And that song is at the end of Side A. On "SML" the sibilance is so harsh that it almost sounds like static coming through the speaker during the piano solo at the start of the song and especially on the very high notes.

2. Confirmed
  3. Confirmed
  4. Here's where you lose me... I'm not exactly sure how to do this... I changed from Red to Blue stylus but haven't messed with the cartridge at all since purchasing. Can you point me in the right direction here?
  5. Ok, I'll read through the manual and see if I can figure this out - maybe look to YouTube.

It sounds like you have an alignment issue. A factory supplied cartridge is no guarantee of correct alignment.

Here’s one way of setting azumuth. The manual is weak on explanation. What you are trying to do is make sure the stylus “fits” in the groove correctly and puts equal pressure on both groove walls.

2. Confirmed
  3. Confirmed
Yeah, so no surprise, @HiFi Guy probably hit the nail on the head with azimuth and alignment, the idea being that with the problem being worse toward the inner grooves, your stylus isn't riding those grooves the same way it's riding the grooves on the early tracks, and this will be related to how the cart and stylus are positioned relative to the record, across the full span of the record.

Yeah, so no surprise, @HiFi Guy probably hit the nail on the head with azimuth and alignment, the idea being that with the problem being worse toward the inner grooves, your stylus isn't riding those grooves the same way it's riding the grooves on the early tracks, and this will be related to how the cart and stylus are positioned relative to the record, across the full span of the record.
Also, alignment can change over time as the stylus’ suspension settles. What is perfect when brand new can “push” the stylus forward as the suspension settles. I was getting sudden IGD with my Grado recently. The alignment was off just a smidge- 1mm at most. Realigned it and all is fine.

It sounds like you have an alignment issue. A factory supplied cartridge is no guarantee of correct alignment.

Here’s one way of setting azumuth. The manual is weak on explanation. What you are trying to do is make sure the stylus “fits” in the groove correctly and puts equal pressure on both groove walls.

Thanks again for the help!

I downloaded one of those paper alignment protractors... perhaps they are shit... I'll buy the $10 one on Amazon. But for shits and giggles, what exactly am I checking here? From what I read - and from watching the video you shared - things look ok to me.

See photos here that I took while checking

Thanks again for the help!

I downloaded one of those paper alignment protractors... perhaps they are shit... I'll buy the $10 one on Amazon. But for shits and giggles, what exactly am I checking here? From what I read - and from watching the video you shared - things look ok to me.

See photos here that I took while checking
I can’t see exactly where the diamond is resting. Is it exactly where the protractor indicates it should be?

Back