Technical Difficulties Thread

Omg, I need to freaking upgrade everything!!! 🥵🥵🥵

Need to get the Pro-Ject Record Cleaning Machine, the Rega Exact Cartridge and my Rega Brio-R amplifier repaired! SO OVERWHELMING!!!!! 👀😅
Also, I should probably add that apart from my TT (which came from someone I know who runs an events companies, had bought an absolute shedload of them for the years bookings then lost all his work through Covid so it was a mega deal) all my stuff is used or a shop model. It's the only way I could afford to do this. So my Amp (Musical Fidelity M6i) was about £800, my speakers (Totem Forests) were £800 second hand, my streamer (Teac NT - 505) was £900 as an ex demo unit. I think I bought my Phono new (Graham Slee Era Gold) and that may have been kicking on the price I paid for the speakers 😆 . I basically had saved for each item, a short list of what I wanted and was ready to go when the right deal came up. So I'd recommend it as a way to upgrade but you really need to bide your time and wait for opportunities.

Omg, I need to freaking upgrade everything!!! 🥵🥵🥵

Need to get the Pro-Ject Record Cleaning Machine, the Rega Exact Cartridge and my Rega Brio-R amplifier repaired! SO OVERWHELMING!!!!! 👀😅

Nathan. You don’t have shit gear. You don’t HAVE to upgrade everything and you certainly don’t have to do it all at once.

Better gear will sound better but just know that there is always better gear than what you have because you’re not a gazzilionaire that can afford a table hewn from the trunk of a single tree and using more silver than a jewellers.

Save and target small incremental steps. So target the weakest link, pick what you want to replace it with and target a sensible savings goal to get there. Then do the same with the next weakest link. Each individual upgrade will improve your sound and you’ll appreciate each piece more by hearing how it alone uplifted the sound than by going on a mega splurge. Calm and steady both wins the day and gets the most enjoyment!

I went from running a Rega 3 with the external PSU, Groovetracer sub/ platter upgrade, white belt, Michell counterweight and a Nagoaka MP200 to a stock Technics 1210GR with an AT VM740ML. Its not even close. I A/B'd the tables before I packed the Rega up for sale and the Technics blew it away. It's fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable....

...a pig, in a cage, on antibiotics?

The difference with you replacing your turntable was night and day! IT MADE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE!?!?!? 😱

Omg, that’s crazy! The turntable makes a huge difference then! I can’t believe just something that makes your vinyl spin has that much of an impact on the sound of your system!!! 🤯

What turntable do you have now? Omg, I wanna get an ultra good turntable now but I do feel like my upgraded Rega Planar 3 is pretty great! Just looking forward to changing the cartridge from an Elys 2 to a Rega Exact MM; which should make a huge difference in sound quality!

What’s turntable do you have @HiFi Guy ? I would imagine you’d have a very high end turntable!
My setup is in my signature-a MoFi Ultradeck with a Grado Gold3 cartridge.

My setup is in my signature-a MoFi Ultradeck with a Grado Gold3 cartridge.
Omg, it’s so expensive! It costs around AUD$4,000!!! 😱😱😱

It looks incredible visually too! And it’s got extremely glowing reviews! One reviewer last month in particular claimed this:

E813F3E8-5301-4F93-8A6B-6CE423B984C6.png

This really just must be an exceptional turntable! I’m actually going to slowly save up for this I think and try and get it in 2022! If I knew about this turntable and the importance of the sound a turntable makes, I would’ve purchased this with the AUD15,000 I took out of my retirement fund! Wish I didn’t just spend it all on records! 😭

It looks incredible visually too! And it’s got extremely glowing reviews! One reviewer last month in particular claimed this:

View attachment 69588

This really just must be an exceptional turntable! I’m actually going to slowly save up for this I think and try and get it in 2022! If I knew about this turntable and the importance of the sound a turntable makes, I would’ve purchased this with the AUD15,000 I took out of my retirement fund! Wish I didn’t just spend it all on records! 😭

MoFi also do the studio deck at half the price which is equally highly regarded table at its price point. There are also other manufacturers that make tables just as highly regarded in that class that might be cheaper to buy in Australia due to supply economics. There is no one size fits all approach Nathan, there are multiple right answers. Determine what you can afford for that one component and buy the best table in that budget. Then enjoy it as the upgrade that it is over what you have. Dreaming of super expensive things that you can’t afford is an endless circle of despair and you’ll never be fulfilled because I could find you a table costing half a million pounds pretty easily and post it on here as the one you need.

View attachment 69588

Remember here in the States, it’s just under $2000 without a cartridge. I was an early adopter so it was just under $1800 before they had to increase prices.

View attachment 69588

If it helps I sold my rega in bits. I took the sub platter out, took the platter off and flogged them as individual items (you kept the originals and the original bearing? Yeah)? and that will get you a solid way towards where you may wish to one day be. I reckon if I'd let it go as a single unit I'd have only made 40 quid more than I actually got for the TT itself.

And that MoFi table looks awesome but the UK cost made it a total no go for me. The dollar to £ ratio was 1 to 1 so in the uk its £500 more than in the US. Others I looked at were the Marantz 151, Michell Gyrodeck and (briefly) the Clearaudio Concept. People always go hard for what they have but if the exchange rate/ accessibility is better have a serous look at the 1200GR/1210GR too as it may get you close to the MoFi with the right cart.

Here its $3,800 with a cartridge that'll make you want to butcher little kittens

If it helps I sold my rega in bits. I took the sub platter out, took the platter off and flogged them as individual items (you kept the originals and the original bearing? Yeah)? and that will get you a solid way towards where you may wish to one day be. I reckon if I'd let it go as a single unit I'd have only made 40 quid more than I actually got for the TT itself.

And that MoFi table looks awesome but the UK cost made it a total no go for me. The dollar to £ ratio was 1 to 1 so in the uk its £500 more than in the US. Others I looked at were the Marantz 151, Michell Gyrodeck and (briefly) the Clearaudio Concept. People always go hard for what they have but if the exchange rate/ accessibility is better have a serous look at the 1200GR/1210GR too as it may get you close to the MoFi with the right cart.

Here its $3,800 with a cartridge that'll make you want to butcher little kittens

Completely agree. There are just so many options now when you start to get to that £1,000 to £1,500 space and it’s the trash that stands out rather than the great because most options are very good and personal presences come into it. I think there was an article posted on here that had 5 options at point compared, including the studio deck and 1200GR, and none of them were bad, all of them got great reviews.

These were the two bits that @nergenek posted in the mofi thread. So many options, none of them wrong, ok maybe I wouldn’t go for the Avid off the back of this.

5A9E6B33-308F-495C-A8B5-8960CAB27F0D.jpeg07B449B2-96F2-4C0D-92D4-F90B0149870F.jpeg

Last edited:
Save and target small incremental steps. So target the weakest link, pick what you want to replace it with and target a sensible savings goal to get there. Then do the same with the next weakest link. Each individual upgrade will improve your sound and you’ll appreciate each piece more by hearing how it alone uplifted the sound than by going on a mega splurge. Calm and steady both wins the day and gets the most enjoyment!
Could not agree more on all points. This advice should be given to anyone considering upgrading their gear.

So would you say the Studio deck is still an incredible turntable Joe? @HiFi Guy - Do you think the MoFi Ultra deck is much more better in comparison to the MoFi studio deck?

Dont know. I’ve never heard one. It’s reviewed more than well enough to be a worthy option. It’s clearly not going to be as good as a double the price table but it comes from the same stable and design principles and is an excellent choice at its price points.

What I’m trying to say to you is don’t obsess on a single turntable or a single brand. Particularly if you can’t afford it. There are loads of good options at all the price points. Decide your budget first and then pick the options accordingly.

Dont know. I’ve never heard one. It’s reviewed more than well enough to be a worthy option. It’s clearly not going to be as good as a double the price table but it comes from the same stable and design principles and is an excellent choice at its price points.

What I’m trying to say to you is don’t obsess on a single turntable or a single brand. Particularly if you can’t afford it. There are loads of good options at all the price points. Decide your budget first and then pick the options accordingly.
Everything you are saying is so true! I need to stop obsessing myself on the ultra deck, especially as it is very expensive! What I’m going to actually do is keep my Rega Planar 3, as it is a great turntable, especially as I’ve upgraded the platter and subplatter and have a Mitchell clamp. I’m going to get a white belt (as @Rowan has one and they improve the performance). Then maybe a few years down road, I will get the MoFi ultra deck. I want a turntable I know I will want forever. And I’ve got my mind set on the ultra deck as it is one of the best vinyl turntables on the market! 🏆💯

100% getting the MoFi Ultradeck! I’ll be happy to pay AUD$3,500 for it in a few years time :)

I’d rather patiently wait than get the MoFi Studio Deck next year! I know I’ll eventually want the MoFi Ultradeck!

Could not agree more on all points. This advice should be given to anyone considering upgrading their gear.
Yeah, that piece of advice Joe give was spot on! I even screen shot it last night because it’s just the best advice you could give anyone on who wants to upgrade their system!

Yeah, that piece of advice Joe give was spot on! I even screen shot it last night because it’s just the best advice you could give anyone on who wants to upgrade their system!

Or not bankrupt themselves. I’d be more worried about that with you than you buying the wrong bit...

😂

Everything you are saying is so true! I need to stop obsessing myself on the ultra deck, especially as it is very expensive! What I’m going to actually do is keep my Rega Planar 3, as it is a great turntable, especially as I’ve upgraded the platter and subplatter and have a Mitchell clamp. I’m going to get a white belt (as @Rowan has one and they improve the performance). Then maybe a few years down road, I will get the MoFi ultra deck. I want a turntable I know I will want forever. And I’ve got my mind set on the ultra deck as it is one of the best vinyl turntables on the market! 🏆💯

100% getting the MoFi Ultradeck! I’ll be happy to pay AUD$3,500 for it in a few years time :)

I’d rather patiently wait than get the MoFi Studio Deck next year! I know I’ll eventually want the MoFi Ultradeck!
It's a fairly low cost upgrade but honestly. I'm not sure it did anything at all for me. In fact the main thing I did with the rega that was actually worth the cost was getting the external PSU. and that was just so I didn't have to keep taking the platter off to change to 45.

If you haven't missed it then I wouldn't bother. Put the cash in the system upgrade jar instead.

Been using a vintage Sansui 2000 for about a month now. Noticing the left channel is going silent/out but if I turn the input to the radio quickly it pops back in. Any ideas on if this could be an easy fix?

Been using a vintage Sansui 2000 for about a month now. Noticing the left channel is going silent/out but if I turn the input to the radio quickly it pops back in. Any ideas on if this could be an easy fix?
Possibly. You’ll need to unplug the Sansui and let it sit for a half hour or so to let the capacitors discharge. You’ll need some contact cleaner.

Remove the case.

The contact cleaner will have a small tube so you can get into tight spots.

Spray the contact cleaner into the opening in the selector switch. Manually operate the switch 20 times or so.

Repeat on other controls: volume, bass, treble etc. Move those knobs quickly up and down as well.

Give everything a half hour to dry out. If you’ve sprayed too much and have obvious puddles, sop those up.

Back