Technical Difficulties Thread

Update for those who provided some feedback/advice.

I took my TT to a local repair shop and they tweaked my alignment. In addition (I'm embarrassed to admit) I had been placing records directly on the metal platter (without felt pad). The combination of these has resolved 90% of my sibilance issues.

They are still slightly present on Time Out, but missing from all of Rumours, so I'll consider that a big win.

I removed the felt pad because I was having static issues and assumed that might resolve those. But I got a Milty Zerostat, so I'm just making it a point to use that more often now.

Update for those who provided some feedback/advice.

I took my TT to a local repair shop and they tweaked my alignment. In addition (I'm embarrassed to admit) I had been placing records directly on the metal platter (without felt pad). The combination of these has resolved 90% of my sibilance issues.

They are still slightly present on Time Out, but missing from all of Rumours, so I'll consider that a big win.

I removed the felt pad because I was having static issues and assumed that might resolve those. But I got a Milty Zerostat, so I'm just making it a point to use that more often now.

What turntable do you have? You could replace the felt slipmat with an acrylic one of the same thickness (it will likely be 2 or 3mm). It wouldn’t create static and it doesn’t hold dust/dirt because you can just brush it off.

Last edited:
What turntable do you have? You could replace the felt slipmat with an acrylic one of the same thickness (it will likely be 2 or 3mm). It wouldn’t create static and it doesn’t hold dust/dirt because you can just brush it off.
I have the Debut Carbon. Last night I bought this... Will be here next week

Amazon product ASIN B0097CY4NQ

I have the Debut Carbon. Last night I bought this... Will be here next week

Amazon product ASIN B0097CY4NQ

Brilliant! That’s perfect! I have that it comes as standard with the model of carbon I got. You actually don’t need a platter mat with that at all, the record can run on the nude platter!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Hope everything going alright.

Let me explain my problem:

I took my TT for a little maintenance and clean up and I just got it back, but now I'm noticing that it seems the metal platter underneath my mat is disheveled? Like crooked to the right, left side is a little bit up. I noticed this because when I use my brush to wipe any debris off the record, even with little pressure, the TT stops spinning, this doesn't happen as much on the right side, but can't confirm because the needle and arm is there. Also, I seem to be a little bit off with the automatic return of the needle, it seems lately it just about misses out on fully returning, I almost caught it going down on the plastic!

I don't know if I explained myself well, but hope you could give me some pointers on what to do, or should I just take it back for a quick fix up?

My TT is a Audio Technica LP-60, nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

Thanks guys!

Hello everyone! Hope everything going alright.

Let me explain my problem:

I took my TT for a little maintenance and clean up and I just got it back, but now I'm noticing that it seems the metal platter underneath my mat is disheveled? Like crooked to the right, left side is a little bit up. I noticed this because when I use my brush to wipe any debris off the record, even with little pressure, the TT stops spinning, this doesn't happen as much on the right side, but can't confirm because the needle and arm is there. Also, I seem to be a little bit off with the automatic return of the needle, it seems lately it just about misses out on fully returning, I almost caught it going down on the plastic!

I don't know if I explained myself well, but hope you could give me some pointers on what to do, or should I just take it back for a quick fix up?

My TT is a Audio Technica LP-60, nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

Thanks guys!
I would be asking whoever did your maintenance.

A re-balanced turntable is a good turntable. Just checked mine today and for some reason it was off. Presto, chango!

Hey I’m trying to find a SONY CDP-910 Drive Belt. I am having trouble and the only place I found is some over seas EBays that aren’t shipping to the US. Does anyone know how to find what size it is, the PRB equivalent or some place to call and find one?

Hey I’m trying to find a SONY CDP-910 Drive Belt. I am having trouble and the only place I found is some over seas EBays that aren’t shipping to the US. Does anyone know how to find what size it is, the PRB equivalent or some place to call and find one?
You could try these guys, I ordered a belt for a 70s Pioneer deck from them

EDIT: Sorry, thought you had a turntable. I see now you have a cd player, I didn't know they used belts.

You could try these guys, I ordered a belt for a 70s Pioneer deck from them

EDIT: Sorry, thought you had a turntable. I see now you have a cd player, I didn't know they used belts.
Yeah it’s the tiny square belt that opens and closes the door. I may call them and see if they know where I can find one.

Hey guys, looking for some guidance here. I got the Sansui SR-717 last week for free and just got to checking it out today. Trying to set it up and see what all issues it has if any.
Right now I’m having issues setting the tracking force. It seems like the counter weight is topping out (can’t screw it any further) at .5 grams. Any advice on how to fix this issue or if it can be fixed?

90F1A0DD-FFBF-4184-A04C-F701B4707B37.jpeg

Hey guys, looking for some guidance here. I got the Sansui SR-717 last week for free and just got to checking it out today. Trying to set it up and see what all issues it has if any.
Right now I’m having issues setting the tracking force. It seems like the counter weight is topping out (can’t screw it any further) at .5 grams. Any advice on how to fix this issue or if it can be fixed?

View attachment 96938
Not related to your original question but did you get the anti skate weight with it? It looks like this:

48473B2D-3D60-4D30-8273-4C32AACF4E79.jpeg
Also, the pic isn’t the best, but I don’t see a shaft pointing forward from the pivot point on my picture. Something looks off with yours.

Did you check the stylus pressure with a digital gauge?

Not related to your original question but did you get the anti skate weight with it? It looks like this:

View attachment 96942
Also, the pic isn’t the best, but I don’t see a shaft pointing forward from the pivot point on my picture. Something looks off with yours.

Did you check the stylus pressure with a digital gauge?
It does have the anti skate weight. Took me a minute to figure that out. I am checking the pressure with a digital scale.

are you talking about the shaft that the anti skate weight attaches to? If so it is there

It might be my eyes, but it looks like the tone arm has the sub-weight attached, this is for heavier carts and can be removed.
View attachment 96946
It does seem like the arm is much longer in the back than most of the ones I’m seeing online. I also found that I’m missing the weight that goes on the side. Not sure if that’s extra or not

2B194006-0D44-4090-B939-2A7147E10013.png

It does seem like the arm is much longer in the back than most of the ones I’m seeing online. I also found that I’m missing the weight that goes on the side. Not sure if that’s extra or not

View attachment 96947
That additional weight unscrews, you should be able to remove it and that should fix the problems you're having with setting your VTA and the main weight having to be moved all the way forward.

It does look like you're missing the anti-skate (Red) if the diagram below is correct and something I believe they're referring to as a "Lateral" weight (Blue)
1619401995591.png

That additional weight unscrews, you should be able to remove it and that should fix the problems you're having with setting your VTA and the main weight having to be moved all the way forward.

It does look like you're missing the anti-skate (Red) if the diagram below is correct and something I believe they're referring to as a "Lateral" weight (Blue)
View attachment 96950
I have the anti skate but am missing the lateral. Looks like the first thing you were talking about is called a sub weight. I tried unscrewing it earlier with no luck. I’m about to try again

View attachment 96950
It actually just pulls off!!

Well I think the motor on my Dual 505 is dead or dying :(

Without the belt the shaft (where the pitch control is) doesn't turn. I can sort of give it push and you feel it trying to start and some torque but it won't continue turning.

I see replacement motor boxes on eBay and dual Fred. I think I should be able to disassembly and reassemble it...what do you guys think?

Back