Technical Difficulties Thread

I’ll tag @Joe Mac here as well.

There’s a saying here- “They don’t make them like they used to.”

When it comes to electronics, this is true. Solder is pretty nasty stuff environmentally. A number of years back, ten maybe, manufacturers were forced to switch to a more environmentally friendly formula. Good for the earth, bad for reliability.

The new solder is far more prone to cold/bad solder connections. I know @AnthonyI experienced this with his NAD amp.
Yep, my brand new at the time NAD was having issues with the balance, one side wasn't coming through as strong, I can't remember which anymore, but it went in under warranty and they did find a bad/weak solder point was the issue.

Also I suppose potential weaknesses in solder joints is a pretty fair compromise when it involves removing a material that is as toxic as lead from the supply chain.
Fair point. Lead is known to the state of California to cause cancer and other reproductive harm! 😁

These guys are the Australian distributors for Rega.

For out of warranty repairs you ring them on 03 9459 7474 for advice. You will have to pay for the repair once the warranty is up.

If you do chose to get it repaired it a pretty well regarded amp so rather than flogging it you could put your money into a separate phono stage and run it with that amplifier.
Joe! You’re a lifesaver! I called the number up provided and they were very helpful! I explained to them that my amplifier is working as I can’t hear the music (but can just hear the music playing from the vinyl when I turn up the volume right up). They asked for me serial number and because the Rega Brio Amp was purchased around 3 years ago (I think it was a bit more than 3 years), they were happy to service it for free. They just told me to put extra info about what happened and to list down the equipment I’m using the amplifier with (cords, speakers, turntable)!

I’m so happy I don’t have to spend money getting this amplifier repaired! Would’ve costed me at least AUD$300! So happy I just have to postage to send it to the Rega dealership! (Which will only cost me around AUD$20 express!).

Thank you so much again! Once my Rega amp gets fixed, I’ll be spinning Prince’s Sign O’ The Times and will enjoy going back to daily spinning!

Next year, I’ll look into buying a new amplifier, and will purchase an amplifier that does NOT have a built in phono stage!

Thanks again Joe! You were so helpful! 🙏😘

Thank you too @HiFi Guy ! I’ll also mention that the solder may be an issue, even though I’m sure the people will know what’s going on after they look into my amplifier!

HiFi Guy - When you said you don’t like when the phono stage / pre-amps is built into the amplifier, it further confirmed the fact that I want my next amplifier to be one that does not have a built in phono stage. I will buy a phono stage and an amplifier!

I definitely underestimate the importance of having a great amplifier and phono stage! It really would make a difference sound quality wise when you have a wonderful amplifier/phono stage combo!

@HiFi Guy - This is how I recently perceived myself what makes music sound great on your system! Three main things!

#1 - Quality of the pressing! This is by far the most important in how good the music will sound on your system in my opinion. I really notice the difference with a quality pressing (e.g - 45RPM Analogue Productions) vs a standard pressing!

#2 - Quality of the cartridge! The needle picks up all the information from pressing! Therefore, this is the second most important.

#3 - Speakers! This will be able to produce the sounds the needle picks up from the pressing. You want speakers that will accurately reproduce those sounds the needle picks up! You want everything to be balanced and dynamic!

But now @HiFi Guy , I’m discovering that the amplifier (including the phono stage) is extremely important too as the amplifier can further help produce the intricate sounds played via your speakers. Like a good amplifier will make the music sound more dynamic and will help bring the music more to life as well! I never knew this!!!

@HiFi Guy - This is how I recently perceived myself what makes music sound great on your system! Three main things!

#1 - Quality of the pressing! This is by far the most important in how good the music will sound on your system in my opinion. I really notice the difference with a quality pressing (e.g - 45RPM Analogue Productions) vs a standard pressing!

#2 - Quality of the cartridge! The needle picks up all the information from pressing! Therefore, this is the second most important.

#3 - Speakers! This will be able to produce the sounds the needle picks up from the pressing. You want speakers that will accurately reproduce those sounds the needle picks up! You want everything to be balanced and dynamic!

But now @HiFi Guy , I’m discovering that the amplifier (including the phono stage) is extremely important too as the amplifier can further help produce the intricate sounds played via your speakers. Like a good amplifier will make the music sound more dynamic and will help bring the music more to life as well! I never knew this!!!
I'd also submit for consideration - how all of one's components work in situ in a particular set-up is also important.

You could have "quality" components across the board and still not like what you hear being produced. For example, if you have a cartridge that has particularly pronounced high frequencies (less of a neutral sound there), you may find "warmer" speakers that are relatively more subdued in the high end to better suit a cart like that.

For example, I think of a couple professional review I was recently reading about Audio-Technica's VM760SLC cart. Both were - more or less - positive but mentioned the same kick up in the higher freqs and that certain speakers may make this cart tiring (w/ one review rightly pointing out that this is all dependent on the user's ear, but one did have charts to back up this mild boost, if you like charts)

I'm not entirely sure that all of it though. It's a combination of components that need to match together and fit the environment they are in. To be honest I've thought for a while that if I was in your position with that number of APs/ Mofis/ One Steps and other high quality pressings I'd stop buying new records and everything it would have put towards them would go in savings account until I had enough to totally overhaul my entire system. The pressings may sound better but it's a fairly low ceiling and with modest upgrades you'd really get your moneys worth.

I've been tinkering with my system for years and thought it was pretty good. I replaced my TT last month and the difference is night and day. Everything sounds better but the well pressed stuff is blazing now. I actually think I'm pretty much done aside from potentially messing about with carts in the future.

But that's just me. Other people follow a route of going down more records less kit as they'd rather get some enjoyment from lots of music where as I suppose I've pivoted to a less records and maximizing the experience from the ones I do get perspective.

Other people follow a route of going down more records less kit as they'd rather get some enjoyment from lots of music
I think that's a faulty approach for people to take, if they're looking for enjoyment of music. I'd argue that enjoyment of music would ultimately benefit from "more kit".

If you have, say, 1000 records and also a full-time job, life, other hobbies, etc. - what're you listening to 2-3 albums a day tops! Probably less if you have a robust. multi-faceted life.

I think you'd get more musical enjoyment by listening to a tight collection of a great pressings and/or CDs, digital files being pushed by capable gear (that benefits every single listen); rather than settling on mediocre gear but pouring money into individual albums that may get listened t once-in-a-while.

I think that's a faulty approach for people to take, if they're looking for enjoyment of music. I'd argue that enjoyment of music would ultimately benefit from "more kit".

If you have, say, 1000 records and also a full-time job, life, other hobbies, etc. - what're you listening to 2-3 albums a day tops! Probably less if you have a robust. multi-faceted life.

I think you'd get more musical enjoyment by listening to a tight collection of a great pressings and/or CDs, digital files being pushed by capable gear (that benefits every single listen); rather than settling on mediocre gear but pouring money into individual albums that may get listened t once-in-a-while.
This 100%. I see folks with $30k in records going through an LP60 and I don't understand it. It's like microwaving filet mignon

I’d say the turntable is more important than the cartridge. Yes, it’s opposite of common practice. But putting a really nice cartridge on a low end plastic table is a waste of that nice cartridge. A nice turntable can get the most that an inexpensive cartridge can offer. And there are a few really nice sounding reasonably priced cartridges out there. Of course, a nicer cartridge on a nice table is a plus. A nicer cartridge on a cheap table is just a bigger waste. The turntable makes a huge difference regarding overall performance: arm length and adjustability as well as arm bearings and also isolation/freedom from unwanted vibrations makes a big difference as well. A well balanced cartridge/turntable package is a wonderful thing. But the sound doesn’t just come from the cartridge.

Same logic applies for me when it comes to amplifiers and phono stages vs. speakers. Great speakers with not so great electronics will allow one to hear those not so great electronics in higher fidelity. Amps do sound different from one another. Better amplification will allow one to hear the best that lesser speakers have to offer. Of course, better speakers equal better sound, assuming the amp/phono stage can scale up.

And as you mentioned, phono stages can make a huge difference. In most cases, one can get a performance boost from a high quality phono stage vs. one built into an amplifier.

This 100%. I see folks with $30k in records going through an LP60 and I don't understand it. It's like microwaving filet mignon
I've never understood why people pay so much for Filet mignon when filet o fish is so much cheaper and tastier. Madness

Fish stinks up the kitchen though....
Literally the only benefit of filet steak is that it doesn't smell of anything. But that's counter balanced by the fact it doesn;t taste of anything either.

Literally the only benefit of filet steak is that it doesn't smell of anything. But that's counter balanced by the fact it doesn;t taste of anything either.
Someone’s over cooking their filet steak. The flavour is there, but only if it’s still mooing on the plate...

I'd also submit for consideration - how all of one's components work in situ in a particular set-up is also important.

You could have "quality" components across the board and still not like what you hear being produced. For example, if you have a cartridge that has particularly pronounced high frequencies (less of a neutral sound there), you may find "warmer" speakers that are relatively more subdued in the high end to better suit a cart like that.

For example, I think of a couple professional review I was recently reading about Audio-Technica's VM760SLC cart. Both were - more or less - positive but mentioned the same kick up in the higher freqs and that certain speakers may make this cart tiring (w/ one review rightly pointing out that this is all dependent on the user's ear, but one did have charts to back up this mild boost, if you like charts)
This is such a great point! It matters so much about all the equipment working together in harmony! Couldn’t have said it any better honestly!

Also shocked to hear @HiFi Guy saying that an average to cheap USB turntable means that you can’t get the most out of your cartridge; especially if it’s a quality one! I knew turntables are important, but I didn’t know they were that important! Like, the turntable needs to be great, and the amplifier and speakers to make sure you get the most out of your needle picking up all the information from your pressing!

Makes me very happy I upgraded my Rega Planar 3 turntable with a sub platter and platter! I feel like I’ve got a great turntable! 😁

I'm not entirely sure that all of it though. It's a combination of components that need to match together and fit the environment they are in. To be honest I've thought for a while that if I was in your position with that number of APs/ Mofis/ One Steps and other high quality pressings I'd stop buying new records and everything it would have put towards them would go in savings account until I had enough to totally overhaul my entire system. The pressings may sound better but it's a fairly low ceiling and with modest upgrades you'd really get your moneys worth.

I've been tinkering with my system for years and thought it was pretty good. I replaced my TT last month and the difference is night and day. Everything sounds better but the well pressed stuff is blazing now. I actually think I'm pretty much done aside from potentially messing about with carts in the future.

But that's just me. Other people follow a route of going down more records less kit as they'd rather get some enjoyment from lots of music where as I suppose I've pivoted to a less records and maximizing the experience from the ones I do get perspective.
The difference with you replacing your turntable was night and day! IT MADE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE!?!?!? 😱

Omg, that’s crazy! The turntable makes a huge difference then! I can’t believe just something that makes your vinyl spin has that much of an impact on the sound of your system!!! 🤯

What turntable do you have now? Omg, I wanna get an ultra good turntable now but I do feel like my upgraded Rega Planar 3 is pretty great! Just looking forward to changing the cartridge from an Elys 2 to a Rega Exact MM; which should make a huge difference in sound quality!

What’s turntable do you have @HiFi Guy ? I would imagine you’d have a very high end turntable!

New slogan: when four new records cost more than your turntable/cartridge, you’re doing it wrong.
Omg, I need to freaking upgrade everything!!! 🥵🥵🥵

Need to get the Pro-Ject Record Cleaning Machine, the Rega Exact Cartridge and my Rega Brio-R amplifier repaired! SO OVERWHELMING!!!!! 👀😅

The difference with you replacing your turntable was night and day! IT MADE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE!?!?!? 😱

Omg, that’s crazy! The turntable makes a huge difference then! I can’t believe just something that makes your vinyl spin has that much of an impact on the sound of your system!!! 🤯

What turntable do you have now? Omg, I wanna get an ultra good turntable now but I do feel like my upgraded Rega Planar 3 is pretty great! Just looking forward to changing the cartridge from an Elys 2 to a Rega Exact MM; which should make a huge difference in sound quality!

What’s turntable do you have @HiFi Guy ? I would imagine you’d have a very high end turntable!
I went from running a Rega 3 with the external PSU, Groovetracer sub/ platter upgrade, white belt, Michell counterweight and a Nagoaka MP200 to a stock Technics 1210GR with an AT VM740ML. Its not even close. I A/B'd the tables before I packed the Rega up for sale and the Technics blew it away. It's fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable....

Back