Technical Difficulties Thread

Yea I've got a receiver in the living room I was going to give away that I could try next. I dont believe it has a Phono input though.

Do you also have another source to put into the receiver you’re currently using. CD streaming etc to narrow down whether it’s the turntable or the amp and/or speakers

Do you also have another source to put into the receiver you’re currently using. CD streaming etc to narrow down whether it’s the turntable or the amp and/or speakers
I'll need to hit up walgreens for a RCA jack, I dont think I have one in the apartment. I'll try that though too.

Alright, RCA confirms it’s not my receiver or speakers. So back to the table. Maybe there’s a short somewhere in the cabling inside the tonearm 🤔

Alright, RCA confirms it’s not my receiver or speakers. So back to the table. Maybe there’s a short somewhere in the cabling inside the tonearm 🤔
Cables don’t just go bad. Do you have an outboard phono stage? What amplifier?

My gut reaction is that something has gone wrong with the phono preamp built in to the Pro-ject.
this is why the "built-in pre-amp" feature on some turntables has always turned me off. I dont know if it's just me, but I prefer having the receiver (the amp) do its job, and leave the turntable to just read the signal through the cartridge.

My speakers aren’t playing! When I turn the volume right up, on my Rega Brio, you can just hear the music coming through on the vinyl (while the vinyl is playing). It’s as if the pre-amp that is built is into my Rega Brio is broken...😭😢😳

@Joe Mac - My Amplifier is faulty! I’m in the same position as you now! 😭😭😭

Wish I never got an amplifier that has a built in pre-amplifier! 😤

Oh dear Nathan! I’m sorry! What has the dealer/manufacturer said to you?

Honestly most amps have built in phonos, even if you don’t use them so don’t be too regretful. Plus even ones like mine that don’t go wrong, I’m only back spinning on Monday after 2 months of no spinning after 2 different pieces in my system needed to go back for in warranty repairs!

Last edited:
Oh dear Nathan! I’m sorry! What has the dealer/manufacturer say to you?

Honestly most amps have built in phonos, even if you don’t use them so don’t be too regretful. Plus even ones like mine that don’t go wrong, I’m only back spinning on Monday after 2 months of no spinning after 2 different pieces in my system needed to go back for in warranty repairs!
Thanks Joe! Appreciate it! I’m so overwhelmed and couldn’t believe my Rega Brio-R amp already is worn out/needs to be fixed! I haven’t been this stressed in so long haha!

Oh wow! You must be so happy that you’re back to spinning! Especially as it will start getting more and more cold in Dublin as it the year moves closer to Winter for you!

I haven’t contacted Rega nor the place I purchased it from. I think it’s 2 years warranty, so unfortunately I won’t be able to get it fixed/replaced under the warranty! I will however, ask the place where I can go to get a fixed! Hoping it isn’t too expensive!

I’m so annoyed though because the amplifier turns on, and when I turn the volume up, you can hear a bit of music coming through both channels (speakers). Everything is perfect! It just 100% seems like the built in phono stage is what is the problem. Really frustrated to be honest as I paid AUD$1200 and have only had it for 3 years and hardly crank up the volume loud!

I will try and get this amplifier repaired, will then play it and enjoy it and will sell it for around AUD$500 soon after!

Then after saving some money, I’ll be asking @HiFi Guy what Amplifier and phono stage I should get to pair up with my Rega Planar 3 and Dynaudio Emit10 speakers! 👍

The new 2020 reissue of Sign O’ The Times is being delivered tomorrow as well @Joe Mac and I was really looking forward to spinning it on the turntable! 😭

It’s no big deal that my amplifier is faulty, but I just can’t believe it! I never anticipated it to happen, I just don’t want to spend so much on fixing and amplifier I don’t even know I like!

I’m also so uneducated when it comes to power/energy output from speakers vs amplifier power etc! Need to really look into that when I get a new amplifier!

I want a powerful amplifier and phono stage that will ensure the music coming out of my speakers sounds more dynamic and detailed!

Thanks Joe! Appreciate it! I’m so overwhelmed and couldn’t believe my Rega Brio-R amp already is worn out/needs to be fixed! I haven’t been this stressed in so long haha!

Oh wow! You must be so happy that you’re back to spinning! Especially as it will start getting more and more cold in Dublin as it the year moves closer to Winter for you!

I haven’t contacted Rega nor the place I purchased it from. I think it’s 2 years warranty, so unfortunately I won’t be able to get it fixed/replaced under the warranty! I will however, ask the place where I can go to get a fixed! Hoping it isn’t too expensive!

I’m so annoyed though because the amplifier turns on, and when I turn the volume up, you can hear a bit of music coming through both channels (speakers). Everything is perfect! It just 100% seems like the built in phono stage is what is the problem. Really frustrated to be honest as I paid AUD$1200 and have only had it for 3 years and hardly crank up the volume loud!

I will try and get this amplifier repaired, will then play it and enjoy it and will sell it for around AUD$500 soon after!

Then after saving some money, I’ll be asking @HiFi Guy what Amplifier and phono stage I should get to pair up with my Rega Planar 3 and Dynaudio Emit10 speakers! 👍

These guys are the Australian distributors for Rega.

For out of warranty repairs you ring them on 03 9459 7474 for advice. You will have to pay for the repair once the warranty is up.

If you do chose to get it repaired it a pretty well regarded amp so rather than flogging it you could put your money into a separate phono stage and run it with that amplifier.

These guys are the Australian distributors for Rega.

For out of warranty repairs you ring them on 03 9459 7474 for advice. You will have to pay for the repair once the warranty is up.

If you do chose to get it repaired it a pretty well regarded amp so rather than flogging it you could put your money into a separate phono stage and run it with that amplifier.
Thank you so much for this info Joe! I was actually going to ask Rega about getting a Rega phono stage and seeing if that will fix all the issues I currently have with my Rega Brio-R amp!

Really nice of you to link me that phone number! I finish work at 2pm, so will give them a call at 2:30pm and will let them know the issues with my Rega Brio-R amp!

Will definitely be upgrading my amp next year, if not 2022. Definitely want to replace my Rega Brio-R with something else. I feel like I can do much better even in that price range for producing quality sound!

Thank you so much for this info Joe! I was actually going to ask Rega about getting a Rega phono stage and seeing if that will fix all the issues I currently have with my Rega Brio-R amp!

Really nice of you to link me that phone number! I finish work at 2pm, so will give them a call at 2:30pm and will let them know the issues with my Rega Brio-R amp!

Will definitely be upgrading my amp next year, if not 2022. Definitely want to replace my Rega Brio-R with something else. I feel like I can do much better even in that price range for producing quality sound!
I’ll tag @Joe Mac here as well.

There’s a saying here- “They don’t make them like they used to.”

When it comes to electronics, this is true. Solder is pretty nasty stuff environmentally. A number of years back, ten maybe, manufacturers were forced to switch to a more environmentally friendly formula. Good for the earth, bad for reliability.

The new solder is far more prone to cold/bad solder connections. I know @AnthonyI experienced this with his NAD amp.

When it comes to electronics, this is true. Solder is pretty nasty stuff environmentally. A number of years back, ten maybe, manufacturers were forced to switch to a more environmentally friendly formula. Good for the earth, bad for reliability.

The new solder is far more prone to cold/bad solder connections. I know @AnthonyI experienced this with his NAD amp.

Yeah I had a capacitor (or a resistor, he told me which over the phone but I’ve a head like a sieve right now) go in one of the power amps and the whole left channel went nuts in the preamp so they replaced the entire output board. Fair play to both quad and PS Audio’s U.K. Distributor in that they diagnosed the fault, fixed it and had it back in 3 weeks for quad and 4 for PS Audio. I can give PS Audio the extra week seeing as the new output board had to be shipped from Colorado to the U.K.! It was just a pity that I got the issues simultaneously and didn’t realise that the preamp was also contributing until after that power amp came back! Still glad to be back spinning again now!

I hear you about the solder. I have a spool of lead-free solder for my electronics projects. I wish I never bought it because it sucks. It doesn't flow. It doesn't stick. It barely even melts. I tried to use it for the first few connections in my Bottlehead before giving up and digging out a spool of good-old 60/40.

Last edited:
Back