Sutherland Club House

I’ll post the sale in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum and mention it here in the Sutherland Clubhouse when I do. Waiting for their replacement to be delivered. Dem old tubes lured me back to the fold. My wife thinks I’m crazy and I suspect she isn’t wrong.
I'll be sure to stay out of the Buy, Sell, Trade forum for a while. LOL

The old battery powered designs had yellow/green boards. The Insight, KC Vibe and 20/20 have blue tinted boards. But the linear power supplies and the TZ designs have yellow/orange boards. I don’t know if it’s significant to the engineering, but it is visually notable.

View attachment 105946View attachment 105947View attachment 105948
I have zero supporting evidence, but I always assumed the board colors were most likely associated with board thickness. Could also be metal of wiring used. Just my guess, but you'll notice this in a lot of brands. Schiit has done it as well I believe. Blue, red and black maybe?

Sorry I'm late to the circuit board party. The color is usually a layer of lacquer called "solder mask", which protects the copper traces and helps keep solder in the right place during manufacture. It can be any color, and the colors don't mean anything. Green is traditional, but nobody remembers why.
If the board is pale yellow with copper-colored traces, then they left off the solder mask, and you're looking at the natural color of the epoxy/fiberglass core.
Why would Sutherland use custom colors? Probably vanity. They're one of the few remaining products meant to be opened by the end user, and they just wanted to look good on the inside too.

Sorry I'm late to the circuit board party. The color is usually a layer of lacquer called "solder mask", which protects the copper traces and helps keep solder in the right place during manufacture. It can be any color, and the colors don't mean anything. Green is traditional, but nobody remembers why.
If the board is pale yellow with copper-colored traces, then they left off the solder mask, and you're looking at the natural color of the epoxy/fiberglass core.
Why would Sutherland use custom colors? Probably vanity. They're one of the few remaining products meant to be opened by the end user, and they just wanted to look good on the inside too.
The blue is damn purty, in my opinion. Makes the circuit board look like a work of industrial art.

I have the opportunity to move up to a 20/20 from an Insight at a reasonable price. For those that have made the change, how much difference did it make for you? I thought I was done moving to the Insight, but I am curious about the 20/20’s incremental benefits.

I have the opportunity to move up to a 20/20 from an Insight at a reasonable price. For those that have made the change, how much difference did it make for you? I thought I was done moving to the Insight, but I am curious about the 20/20’s incremental benefits.
Honestly, before I went with the Manley I pondered this A LOT. In my opinion, while it would probably bring some improvement to the table, I don't know if the "Bang for buck" would be there (Not sure of the price tag you've been offered, so it might make this point mute). I think the jump should be to the DUO............just my opinion of course.

I jumped from the Insight to the 20/20 with LPS. After selling my Insight, the 20/20 cost me about $550. Once broken in, the improvement was significant. I found that lower mids and bass had more authority and weight. Really great for piano, percussion and, obviously, bass. The toe-tap factor is exponentially higher. I noticed less of a change in the upper mids and treble. Adding the LPS to the mix equals better dynamics, a more solid image, and a better sense of depth.

Granted I got an amazing deal, but I've been very happy with the improvement. Would the Duo be an even bigger improvement? Probably, but it's outside the price range I could justify for a phono pre.

I actually got an insight and then tripped across a killer deal on the twenty-twenty.... Keyboard going out... I don't regret the upgrade.

I jumped from the Insight to the 20/20 with LPS. After selling my Insight, the 20/20 cost me about $550. Once broken in, the improvement was significant. I found that lower mids and bass had more authority and weight. Really great for piano, percussion and, obviously, bass. The toe-tap factor is exponentially higher. I noticed less of a change in the upper mids and treble. Adding the LPS to the mix equals better dynamics, a more solid image, and a better sense of depth.

Granted I got an amazing deal, but I've been very happy with the improvement. Would the Duo be an even bigger improvement? Probably, but it's outside the price range I could justify for a phono pre.
Exactly where I'm at. The Duo is on a very short list of things I would upgrade to if I just run into some free money at some point. Along with a Dr. Feickert and a set of Tannoy's. If that never happens my current rig is more than enough for the long haul.

Edit: Manley's I'm waiting on not withstanding. Also, I agree with the observations on the differences between the two. When comped it's noticeable, though both are great. The improvement is worth it to me. That next price jump though.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Insight, If I remember correctly, someone around here has a Black Insight? If that member would ever consider a trade for a silver version and possibly a little "Somin' Somin'" extra for their troubles, please give me a shout ;)

Speaking of the Insight, If I remember correctly, someone around here has a Black Insight? If that member would ever consider a trade for a silver version and possibly a little "Somin' Somin'" extra for their troubles, please give me a shout ;)
I’d want a black faceplate for my Insight more than I’d want a LPS!

It’d take a little bit of luck (or DIY know-how) to get one of those again. Sutherland only produced 25.
Oh, the DIY gears have been turning for a bit, I just figured I might as well toss it out there in the mean time. The biggest issue is the logo since it's screened on.

................we shall see ;)

Indeed. It lurks in the darkness, ready to pounce.

giphy.gif

Back