STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

I’m gonna be controversial.

Jar jar is a kinda needed bit of lite relief in Phantom to the mind numbering tedium of a trade dispute debate in the senate ....
I think the idea of Jar Jar is fine but he’s just so grating and clumsy it gets frustrating. It could have been executed better. Everything could have been executed better tbf

I started The Rising Storm today, the second Adult-oriented novel in the High Republic series, and blew through 100 pages without really thinking about it. I love it, it expands on the best parts of the first book, while starting to weave the novels and the comics into a really engaging story. It really shows the Jedi at their highest point as protectors of the peace, and details the core jedi philosophy better than I've seen it done. It really shows the flaws of the prequel era Jedi Order, and shows how the greatest of the Jedi did things.

Definitely want to check out some of the other High Republic books made for the young adult market, a lot of those characters are referenced in this book and I'd love to see more. Also reading the Marvel comic series which is brilliant.

Jar Jar is better if Lucas ignores us and reveals him to be the Sith Lord he was supposed to be.

Of course, even if that happened, those prequels are shit movies and you can't convince me otherwise.

Jar Jar is better if Lucas ignores us and reveals him to be the Sith Lord he was supposed to be.

Of course, even if that happened, those prequels are shit movies and you can't convince me otherwise.

Yep ..the prequels get worse with each watch ..if that’s possible ....

Star Wars , empire , rogue one ...they are the good ones ..the rest..mmm

Guys, I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and it's actually pretty good. Sure it has it's flaws, the biggest of which being the clunkiness of the plot and how that makes the film feel twice as long as it is. Let's be honest, the prequel trilogy really should have been 4 films in order to really fit the scope and details it needed, and TFM does a hell of a job carrying that weight as the first of the actual trilogy. Jar Jar is not the best comedy relief, but it's really needed in a film where the main conflict is a blockade regarding trade disputes. When it comes to the characterization and performances of the main cast, it's stellar. Ewan McGregor's young Obi-Wan fits in so well with what was already canon in the Jedi Apprentice series of books; he's so light hearted compared to what comes after, the most important being his coming-of-age moment at the end of the film.

The music is so good! Not just Duel of the Fates, the whole score is goddamn fantastic.

Jake Lloyd's performance is not great, but man is that a hell of a role for a kid to play, he has some serious lines. I don't even blame him for his "Woohoo!"'s. They were in the script. I blame Lucas for not doing takes without them. Liam Neeson is a brilliant Qui-Gon; you don't learn too much about him but the bits he does drop fit in perfectly as an invitation to his character in the books and comics (which if you know my view, is really what makes Star Wars so great). Really the whole cast is great, Lucas just badly needed a Filoni type to check him on certain decisions (midiclorians) and be another directing force.

It's definitely a better movie than AOTC. That one suffered the most from "the prequal problem" I talked about above, but then The Clone Wars show came along to help with that. Although that show has it's own massive problems with re-writing canon...

Last edited:
Guys, I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and it's actually pretty good. Sure it has it's flaws, the biggest of which being the clunkiness of the plot and how that makes the film feel twice as long as it is. Let's be honest, the prequel trilogy really should have been 4 films in order to really fit the scope and details it needed, and TFM does a hell of a job carrying that weight as the first of the actual trilogy. Jar Jar is not the best comedy relief, but it's really needed in a film where the main conflict is a blockade regarding trade disputes. When it comes to the characterization and performances of the main cast, it's stellar. Ewan McGregor's young Obi-Wan fits in so well with what was already canon in the Jedi Apprentice series of books; he's so light hearted compared to what comes after, the most important being his coming-of-age moment at the end of the film.

The music is so good! Not just Duel of the Fates, the whole score is goddamn fantastic.

Jake Lloyd's performance is not great, but man is that a hell of a role for a kid to play, he has some series lines. I don't even blame him for his "Woohoo!"'s. They were in the script. I blame Lucas for not doing takes without them. Liam Neeson is a brilliant Qui-Gon; you don't learn too much about him but the bits he does drop fit in perfectly as an invitation to his character in the books and comics (which if you know my view, is really what makes Star Wars so great). Really the whole cast is great, Lucas just badly needed a Filoni type to check him on certain decisions (midiclorians) and be another directing force.

It's definitely a better movie than AOTC. That one suffered the most from "the prequal problem" I talked about above, but then The Clone Wars show came along to help with that. Although that show has it's own massive problems with re-writing canon...

I know I really should give it another go, but when I last tried a month or two before The Force Awakens came out I couldn't make it more than 40 minutes in before being so put off I had to shut it off. And yet, back when it first hit theatres and video I remember loving it when most of my friends were slagging it.

We haven't been able to get into Bad Batch, just too much violence. But some of the plots look interesting and certainly are filling in some gaps in the legacy. And we do look forward to other side series coming (Book of Boba, Obi Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka, etc).

I know I really should give it another go, but when I last tried a month or two before The Force Awakens came out I couldn't make it more than 40 minutes in before being so put off I had to shut it off. And yet, back when it first hit theatres and video I remember loving it when most of my friends were slagging it.
I would think watching it near TFA would make it stand out even more next to that pile of garbage.

It's an interesting concept, combining anime and star wars, some say it's pandering to the markets in the east ?, look forward to checking it out
I wouldn't call it pandering to the East. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. Batman did it, The Matrix did it, I think even Halo did it.

I one day hope that animation becomes as serious of a medium in Western markets as it is in the East. It's getting there, but animation still holds that stigma of being for kids, or at best a vehicle for low brow comedy.

I wouldn't call it pandering to the East. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. Batman did it, The Matrix did it, I think even Halo did it.

I one day hope that animation becomes as serious of a medium in Western markets as it is in the East. It's getting there, but animation still holds that stigma of being for kids, or at best a vehicle for low brow comedy.
I know a lot of people who love the Clone Wars series, including kids so if the content is there and strong, I think it will be watched worldwide. I lost interest in Bad Batch though myself tbh. I like Animation going back to Star Blazers (Battleship Yamamoto) for ie.

Back