STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Happy Star Wars day y'all (though if you really try, everyday can be Star Wars day)

I've been reading the X-Wing series of legends novels, hiiighly recommend them if you like Star Wars space combat and Top Gun-esque locker room bravado. Couldn't resist getting this shirt when I saw the print.
IMG_1224.JPG

Very nervous for the upcoming Rogue Squadron movie given Patty Jenkins recent track record....but we'll see!

Watched the first episode of The Bad Batch with my kid. We enjoyed it. I like seeing the aftermath of Revenge of the Sith. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Watched the first episode of The Bad Batch with my kid. We enjoyed it. I like seeing the aftermath of Revenge of the Sith. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
I'm not really interested in the story of "The Bad Batch" but it does take place at a very interesting point in the Star Wars timeline so I'll still be interested in the coming episodes.

Been catching up on the most recent (2020 on) run of Darth Vader through Marvel Comics. It's an interesting take on Darth Vader's perspective of the events of Empire Strikes Back and beyond. How he finds out Luke is his son, and how he reacts, and assuming changes, between Empire and Return of the Jedi.

Been catching up on the most recent (2020 on) run of Darth Vader through Marvel Comics. It's an interesting take on Darth Vader's perspective of the events of Empire Strikes Back and beyond. How he finds out Luke is his son, and how he reacts, and assuming changes, between Empire and Return of the Jedi.
The Darth Vader title has easily been the high point of Star Wars comics in the Disney era. The flahship title never grabbed me, and I've never been big on Rebellion/OT era comics anyway (Marvel seems to LOVE them).

I'm reading the ongoing High Republic series by Cavan Scott, which is just finishing it's first arc. At the very least it's a breath of fresh air to see a different era represented in Star Wars, and the series has already introduced some great concepts. I enjoyed the first novel as well (Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule) and am excited for more.

The Darth Vader title has easily been the high point of Star Wars comics in the Disney era. The flahship title never grabbed me, and I've never been big on Rebellion/OT era comics anyway (Marvel seems to LOVE them).

I'm reading the ongoing High Republic series by Cavan Scott, which is just finishing it's first arc. At the very least it's a breath of fresh air to see a different era represented in Star Wars, and the series has already introduced some great concepts. I enjoyed the first novel as well (Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule) and am excited for more.
I'll have to take a look at High Republic - I'm using Marvel Unlimited so i'll be a few months behind. But love the way they are humanizing Darth Vader to some degree in this run. I'll have to run back through previous versions of the title.

My favorite part about watching a new episode of The Bad Batch is how the New Zealand accents get stuck in my head all day. I adore Omega's the most. If I could get that as the GPS on my phone that'd be wonderful.

I decided to rewatch episode 1 for the first time in probably 15+ years and it’s so bad. Acting is awful and lifeless, Jar Jar Binks is so annoying and unfunny, there’s no emotion, no heart, no protagonist. I took a bathroom break after about and hour and I didn’t know if I wanted to keep watching. I was just bored up until the end.

As a kid watching this, I was 9-10 when it came out. I remember liking the new space crafts, I had many lego sets. The pod racing was cool, the different droids that rolled around. Double lightsaber!!! But how the hell did I manage to sit through the dry bureaucratic dialogue? I don’t know. That’s not a Star Wars movie. It’s just boring fluff tied together with a cheap ribbon.

I decided to rewatch episode 1 for the first time in probably 15+ years and it’s so bad. Acting is awful and lifeless, Jar Jar Binks is so annoying and unfunny, there’s no emotion, no heart, no protagonist. I took a bathroom break after about and hour and I didn’t know if I wanted to keep watching. I was just bored up until the end.
George Lucas has a wonderful mind full of brilliant ideas but is a pretty shit director. The Naboo Crisis is so fascinating when I read ancillary Star Wars books, but watching the actual film it comes across as confusing and disjointed. I've always held the belief the prequels are propped up by the brilliant material around them (books, comics, the original Clone Wars series) but as standalone films they leave a lot to be desired.

That said I fucking loved Phantom Menace as a kid. Had no idea what was going on but I knew Darth Maul was cool.

Back