STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

It still shocks me that Lucas was able to reel in an actor of that caliber for his space opera.

He gave him whatever he wanted. Lucas knew he needed a name of that calibre to garner interest. Guinness hated the films but loved the fact that they made him fabulously wealthy and let him pick and chose when he wanted to work later in his life!

Got my tickets to see it tonight, work is taking us tomorrow so can’t beat that. Always excited to see a new Star Wars movie and I hope this one has the same impact on kids as the prequel trilogy did for me (original trilogy for my dad) growing up. My niece has loved the first two, TFA and TLJ, and can’t wait for this one.

Also enjoyed the first 3 episodes I’ve seen of The Mandalorian so far but I’m half in the bag as I have Fett tatted on my arm. 😅

finished my rewatch Tuesday night ahead of seeing IX tonight. it was the first time in maybe a decade I had watched the prequels. I’d rank them all like this:

First Tier:
Rouge One, IV, V, VIII
Second Tier:
VI, VII
Third Tier:
II
Fourth Tier:
III
Fifth Tier:
I
Nah Get This Outta Here Tier:
Solo

finished my rewatch Tuesday night ahead of seeing IX tonight. it was the first time in maybe a decade I had watched the prequels. I’d rank them all like this:

First Tier:
Rouge One, IV, V, VIII
Second Tier:
VI, VII
Third Tier:
II
Fourth Tier:
III
Fifth Tier:
I
Solo

I agree with your tiers except I'd swap Eps 2 and 3.

I'm weirdly still looking forward to Episode IX despite both disliking JJ as a filmmaker and being a little rattled by the reception.

First Tier:
Rouge One, IV, V, VIII
Second Tier:
VI, VII
Third Tier:
II
Fourth Tier:
III
Fifth Tier:
I
Solo

I actually enjoyed Solo from a fan perspective (Like I thought it was an interesting concept and I actually liked Ehrenreich and Donald Glover) but it was garbage writing and the story didn't really make sense, so I cant say it was a quality film. Happy to see fellow people putting VIII where it rightfully belongs.

EDIT: Also II. I've always maintained AotC was the best prequel because it attempted to advance the plot the least out of the three.

If I could remove the Canto Bight segment from VIII, it would be just under Return of the Jedi and Rogue One.

Its really the film's only weakness and thats just because that part of the plot felt largely unnecessary. I won't call it a plot hole, because with the way the story was written, it needed to happen, but it wasn't a quality plot line that played well with the larger story.

Right. I know why it's in there it just felt really tacked on and ham fisted. I wished they didn't break up Finn and Poe in that movie. Their dynamic is so enjoyable. That's what I'm hoping for tonight. Some fun and a resolution to the Rey/Kylo story. Their portions were some of the best parts of Star Wars since Empire. It's also a large part of why I feel JJ really wasted an entire movie with his ANH redux.

Right. I know why it's in there it just felt really tacked on and ham fisted. I wished they didn't break up Finn and Poe in that movie. Their dynamic is so enjoyable. That's what I'm hoping for tonight. Some fun and a resolution to the Rey/Kylo story. Their portions were some of the best parts of Star Wars since Empire. It's also a large part of why I feel JJ really wasted an entire movie with his ANH redux.
You touched on what I think was a big misstep in TLJ. Johnson split the band up. If Rey, Finn, & Poe were supposed to be the new core, hey needed to spend time working together to be that core. Instead they were split up to do a lot of generally dumb shit.

Technically, JJ split up the band. He sent Rey off the find Luke. I get why but he put her on that path. He also put Finn in a coma. I won't argue the split up to do a lot of generally dumb shit as I didn't like the "hey, everybody failed" portion of the movie. That Holdo manuever was pretty kickass though.

Technically, JJ split up the band. He sent Rey off the find Luke. I get why but he put her on that path. He also put Finn in a coma. I won't argue the split up to do a lot of generally dumb shit as I didn't like the "hey, everybody failed" portion of the movie. That Holdo manuever was pretty kickass though.
No, it wasn’t. It really, really wasn’t.

This, very much this. I don’t really get the “____ was handed a difficult task” complaints when it comes to JJ or Rian; Empire ends with a major character incapacitated and in enemy hands and a major dangling plot thread of Luke/Vader. Say what you will about Return of the Jedi, but I think the way they devote the first 45 minutes or so to rescuing Han is a bold structure choice.

It also leaves me scratching my head when it comes to the reported convolution and complications of Rise of Skywalker; Last Jedi left the status quo pretty simple (the Resistance is small but majorly symbolic, Kylo is the leader of the First Order), and with the way you can set up an entirely new status quo with the opening crawl, JJ could very well have begun this movie with all our characters (good and bad) in one room and wrapped up the “story” in 45 minutes. I’m exaggerating, but when your story boils down to “good v. evil,” you can play pretty fast and loose.

But that also plays into one of my big concerns about Ep 9: the purported “Skywalker saga,” and the need to end said saga with the ninth film; they’re just setting themselves up to be crushed by the massive weight of a 40-year story that’s never really been all that cohesive in the first place.

It was okay. I left that like I left The Force Awakens. I liked it but I didn’t love it. I left TLJ really excited.

Spoiler free: Wasn’t really feeling this one. Felt like it was turned to 11 and was overly frenetic, like JJ thought he was making Fury Road but was really just pulling a Michael Bay. Like all of Star Wars, story and concepts don’t hold up to scrutiny but the films confusing pace and oversized plot made it hard to enjoy anything other than the story. I think it accomplished what it wanted to do, ie provide closure and entertainment but there’s been much more elegant solutions to the same problem. I think as some of the effects prove the time-crunch was a huge blow to this project.

Why did Ben die in like two seconds on screen without warning?

Without warning? There are at least two scenes earlier in the movie when Rey gives away life force to heal, including to Ben. She was dead so the only way to bring her back was for him to use up all his life force, i.e. for him to die instead of her. It would have made no sense if he brought her back AND was able to survive.

Back