Soul Step Records Subscription

Soul Step Announces SSR-087!

Soul Step Records are so excited to announce a return partnership with Baltimore’s Modern Nomad. After the incredible critical and fan response to “Bardo,” Soul Step and Modern Nomad collaborate again to bring the album, “There It Is, There You Are” to vinyl for SSR-087.
Modern Nomad is the recording project of multi-instrumentalist and songwriter, Tom McLean. He has been recording and writing and recording his own music after being inspired by the jangly psychedelic pop sounds of The Beatles, and the deep atmospheric grooves of the likes of Tame Impala and Toro Y Moi since he was 16.

The best way to describe “There Is Is, There You Are,” is to call is Psych Indie Pop that drips with positive vibes. Modern Nomad is for fans of Mac DeMarco, Tame Impala, and Revolver-era Beatles. The growth of this indie-pop master Modern Nomad continues to evolve with each new release. The influences of Modern Nomad ooze out of these grooves and will catch just about any ear. These songs were written and recorded while reflecting on his budding long-distance relationship - this record can make you dance and move your feet while getting hit in the feels. Come discover the beautiful soundscapes that Modern Nomad has created for you to dig deep into on “There Is Is, There You Are.”

Soul Step Records will be releasing Modern Nomad’s LP “There It Is, There You Are” to Soul Step Subscribers on Saturday, April 23rd. The general public sale will begin on Monday, April 25th. This LP is available to stream on your favorite music service right now.

There will be a limited to 100 Glacier White vinyl variant in addition to the standard black vinyl. Soul Step Records highly encourages fans to sign up to be a Soul Step Subscriber for free, as most of our limited edition vinyl sell out before it goes on sale to the general public.

IMG_5952.jpgIMG_5956.jpg

Soul Step Records Announces SSR-067

Coming to Soul Step Subscribers on September 10th!

Soul Step Records are proud to announce a brand new artist and release to our label. We are happy to welcome Marcus Machado to Soul Step Records! We will be releasing Marcus’ debut album, “Aquarious Purple” to vinyl exclusively through Soul Step Records.

Marcus Machado, for fans of D'Angelo, Raphael Saadiq, and the guitar stylings of Jimi Hendrix, was named “Next Young Gun” by Rolling Stone Magazine and since then, Marcus has not disappointed in becoming one of the most in demand young guitar players in the world in both the studio and on the road. Recently, Marcus has collaborated on the music score for the documentary “Mr. Soul.” Marcus has also was requested to play the national anthem in Madison Square Garden for the NY Knicks as well as Oracle Arena for the Golden State Warriors.

This album comes with many different styles and layers. We kindly refer to “Aquarious Purple” as guitar driven rhythm and funk from another planet! This album will resonate with fans of D’Angelo’s funk, Jimi Hendrix’s soaring guitar solos, and the smooth soul of Raphael Saadiq. Once this LP is on your record player - you will be on a trip with Marcus that will touch so many different influences. “Aquarious Purple” will invite you to spin it again and again to uncover all the different layers built into these grooves.

Soul Step Records highly encourages fans to sign up to be a Soul Step Subscriber for free, as most of our limited edition vinyl sell out before it goes on sale to the general public.

IMG_6856.jpgIMG_6863.jpg

Blue Eyed Neo Soul in The First Degree…

Soul Step Records announces SSR-046, a partnership with Columbus, OH based Parker Louis. We are so excited to bring to vinyl a record that we are so personally crazy about!

Parker Louis is a mainstay in the Columbus music scene, breaking in as part of the project, Forest & The Evergreens. Once the group went on hiatus, Parker recruited some of his closest musical allies and created the album, “All Good Things.”

Parker Louis has been very active on the road, recently opening for O.A.R., Caamp, and soon to be seen on festival stages across the Midwest.

Thick Ohio R&B and Soul Grooves, “All Good Things” drips with influences from D’Angelo, Sam Cooke, and Raphael Saadiq. Parker Louis brings his buttery smooth vocals paired with bluesy guitar grooves straight to your turntable. It’s a great record to mellow out to. It’s a great record to hold onto your sweet thing to.

Just take our word for it, take this record home and ride the vibes. Second pressing drops to Soul Step Subscribers on November 12th at 1PM EST.

IMG_7425.jpgIMG_7430.jpg

Soul Step Announces SSR-088!

Soul Step Records are so proud to announce a second partnership with Cara Louise. Native of St. Louis and recently relocated to Nashville, Cara comes with her LP “Wholesome Dread.”

Louise's unique and soulful sound comes from her powerful and emotive vocal chops. The artist's extensive range, coupled with inspired melodies and sincere, relatable lyricism, set her aside as a true force of nature. In 2019, Cara released a new EP, "Fragile Heart", produced by David Beeman at Native Sound Studios, and released via Soul Step Records. "Fragile Heart" redefined the artist's sound and built a strong foundation where her signature meld of indie-rock, folk, and Americana could begin to coalesce.

While some saw 2020 and the COVID pandemic as a setback, Cara used this time off of touring to her advantage. Throughout 2020 and into 2021, Cara flexed her creative muscles, writing and producing a new LP, a 9-song collection, aptly titled "Wholesome Dread". Louise's upcoming LP further pushes the envelope, blurring the lines of indie rock, folk, and Americana. Continuing her work with producer David Beeman, the two pulled inspiration from Lynchian doo-wop, the echoes of Laurel Canyon, along with the atmospheric synth tones and driving guitars of early 90's indie rock. Louise's upcoming release continues to push the songwriter's style and career, further separating her from her classic country roots, and launching her creative potential to new sonic heights.

Soul Step Records will be releasing Cara Louise’s “Wholesome Dread” to Soul Step Subscribers on BLACK FRIDAY - November 25th. The LP is available to stream on your favorite music service right now.

There will be a limited to 100 color vinyl variant in addition to the standard black vinyl. Soul Step Records highly encourages fans to sign up to be a Soul Step Subscriber for free, as most of our limited edition vinyl sell out before it goes on sale to the general public.

IMG_7436.jpgIMG_7439.jpg

Soul Step Records Announces SSR-003!

Yes, we are proud to announce that we are getting one of the Soul Step classics back in print! For quite some time, Matt Duncan’s landmark LP, “Soft Times” is back on vinyl with Soul Step in its THIRD PRESSING.

Matt Duncan is one of the biggest artists you have not heard of yet. This particular album, “Soft Times” has almost 20 MILLION STREAMS on Spotify alone. You might not know Matt Duncan, but you have definitely heard his music. His music has been on “The Vampire Diaries,” “Private Practice,” and HBO’s “Bored To Death.” Most recently Matt was a featured performer in the Tony Award winning Broadway musical, “Hedwig and The Angry Inch.” The album art was created by Robert Beatty, who has recently done art for Tame Impala, Flaming Lips, and more!

Matt Duncan creates music that would have fit in perfectly on your Dad’s AM Radio in the 1970’s. Touches of Blue Eyed Soul await you on this LP. This album showcases the strength of Matt’s arranging. Strings, horns, layered vocals all make this perfect mix of Motown and Bacharach. There is a track for any ear on this LP.

Soul Step Records will release the THIRD pressing of Matt Duncan’s “Soft Times” exclusively to Soul Step Subscribers on Saturday, December 10th at 1PM Est. General Public sale will begin on Monday, December 12th.

You can stream this album on your favorite streaming service right now. IMG_7662.jpgIMG_7670.jpg

Soul Step Records Announces SSR-003!

Yes, we are proud to announce that we are getting one of the Soul Step classics back in print! For quite some time, Matt Duncan’s landmark LP, “Soft Times” is back on vinyl with Soul Step in its THIRD PRESSING.

Matt Duncan is one of the biggest artists you have not heard of yet. This particular album, “Soft Times” has almost 20 MILLION STREAMS on Spotify alone. You might not know Matt Duncan, but you have definitely heard his music. His music has been on “The Vampire Diaries,” “Private Practice,” and HBO’s “Bored To Death.” Most recently Matt was a featured performer in the Tony Award winning Broadway musical, “Hedwig and The Angry Inch.” The album art was created by Robert Beatty, who has recently done art for Tame Impala, Flaming Lips, and more!

Matt Duncan creates music that would have fit in perfectly on your Dad’s AM Radio in the 1970’s. Touches of Blue Eyed Soul await you on this LP. This album showcases the strength of Matt’s arranging. Strings, horns, layered vocals all make this perfect mix of Motown and Bacharach. There is a track for any ear on this LP.

Soul Step Records will release the THIRD pressing of Matt Duncan’s “Soft Times” exclusively to Soul Step Subscribers on Saturday, December 10th at 1PM Est. General Public sale will begin on Monday, December 12th.

You can stream this album on your favorite streaming service right now. View attachment 160413View attachment 160414
This album is so good. I have a first pressing with a tarot card. Would recommend!

Wanted to quickly put this one out there - I'm mostly planned for 2023 releases at the moment...Got some great gets for ya'll...

But what projects / series / ideas would you like to see from SSR in the future?

Just wanted to say you always do a great job Melvin. Always appreciate the quality records you release especially Footprint and the Nashville band releases. Any chance of ever pressing Amythyst's first record ever coming to vinyl? Also any possible new music from Fort Defiance? One of my favorite releases you ever did. '

Just wanted to say you always do a great job Melvin. Always appreciate the quality records you release especially Footprint and the Nashville band releases. Any chance of ever pressing Amythyst's first record ever coming to vinyl? Also any possible new music from Fort Defiance? One of my favorite releases you ever did. '

I will say this....

Next year is going to be a BIG year in the Footprint department.

SSR-089 - R&B / Funk
SSR-090 - Indie Pop
SSR-091 - Footprint
SSR-092 - Footprint
SSR-093 - Footprint (and one that's been asked for ALOT)
SSR-094 - Footprint
SSR-095 - R&B / Funk
and probably 096 is R&B / Funk...

but a lot of those Footprint LP's are OOP..so you might see some re-presses. Nashville is starting to rub off on me a bit with all this local talent I'm discovering.

In terms of Fort Defiance - it's not likely. Not sure what their future musical plans hold at the moment. Open to Amythyst for sure...but I'd be really excited if I can get a second "Chest of Glass" LP....but not sure what the rights look like now she's with Rounder.

I will say this....

Next year is going to be a BIG year in the Footprint department.

SSR-089 - R&B / Funk
SSR-090 - Indie Pop
SSR-091 - Footprint
SSR-092 - Footprint
SSR-093 - Footprint (and one that's been asked for ALOT)
SSR-094 - Footprint
SSR-095 - R&B / Funk
and probably 096 is R&B / Funk...

but a lot of those Footprint LP's are OOP..so you might see some re-presses. Nashville is starting to rub off on me a bit with all this local talent I'm discovering.

In terms of Fort Defiance - it's not likely. Not sure what their future musical plans hold at the moment. Open to Amythyst for sure...but I'd be really excited if I can get a second "Chest of Glass" LP....but not sure what the rights look like now she's with Rounder.
This list sounds really exciting. Can't wait to see what we get next year. If I didn't have a wife and kids, I would be at a show every night. So much talent. I mean you could just to go Dee's every night and see always kinds of good stuff to say nothing of the other venues.
How does that work when an artists signs to a bigger label? Do you have to clear it with them even to press their back catalog or is it up to the artist? I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff.

This list sounds really exciting. Can't wait to see what we get next year. If I didn't have a wife and kids, I would be at a show every night. So much talent. I mean you could just to go Dee's every night and see always kinds of good stuff to say nothing of the other venues.
How does that work when an artists signs to a bigger label? Do you have to clear it with them even to press their back catalog or is it up to the artist? I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff.

Each one is different....

What I hope - is that SSR can continue to keep the older music in print on vinyl and hope to find some unique collaborations with the larger labels. Sometimes the big labels want me frozen out - it all depends!

I will say this - I typically have a pretty strong relationship with artists - and they want to continue to work with me. Anytime I can't - it's always due to the bigger label.

But it's all good - all I care about is our artists growing their careers!

Back