sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

New, non-album single out today. 'ANIMAL' was recorded at St. Vincent's home studio with Janet on drums. Strong Corin vocal. Interesting timing for a non-album single, but they did put out 3-4 tracks before the album came out, so maybe this is just the new way of doing things.

Last edited:
New, non-album single out today. 'ANIMAL' was recorded at St. Vincent's home studio with Janet on drums. Strong Corin vocal. Interesting timing for a non-album single, but they did put out 3-4 tracks before the album came out, so maybe this is just the new way of doing things.
The new song rips too. Not sure why it was left off the album? I think it would’ve fit in. It probably would have been one of the top songs on the album too.

Has the tour started yet? If so, has anyone been to one of the shows? I think Stereogum had a nice review of a show several weeks back, but I wasn't sure if that was part of this official tour or not.

Has the tour started yet? If so, has anyone been to one of the shows? I think Stereogum had a nice review of a show several weeks back, but I wasn't sure if that was part of this official tour or not.
I’ve seen a couple set lists online and it looks like they’re playing all of The Center Won’t Hold each night, including “Animal”. Back catalog picks are mostly from No Cities and The Woods.

went to the show last night. there was a livestream, so if you want to watch a whole set, or get a taste of what they sound like without janet:

How did you like it? How was the crowd?

I'm slightly nervous about the DC show. It is the same night as the first world series game in Nats stadium. The venues are near enough that traffic is gonna be.... interesting/gridlock.

I'm slightly nervous about the DC show. It is the same night as the first world series game in Nats stadium. The venues are near enough that traffic is gonna be.... interesting/gridlock.
I thought the show was fantastic. Thought the crowd was meh. Had never seen em before

Oh shit, didn’t even think of that. Gotta get there early I guess.

yeah, the crowd wasn't super - minnesota crowds tend to be reserved to begin with - and carrie seemed to call the crowd out a bit to show a little more energy. i don't think it was a detriment to the show or anything, though. plus they played the whole new album, i think, so most of the set was probably unfamiliar to a lot of us (like, i still haven't actually listened to the record yet, just haven't had time).

show was plenty good and they did not seem to half-ass anything, but janet missing was certainly noticeable. i had a really good time and am glad i went/thought it was worth it.

Is anyone picking up the 7” from the tour? I haven’t decided whether I wanted to or not.

I had read that they were offering those at select shows. I'm guessing that is just lingo to cover their asses in the event they sell out of them in the middle of the tour. I like the song. If it is still available for the Austin show in a few weeks, I'll probably grab one.

I had read that they were offering those at select shows. I'm guessing that is just lingo to cover their asses in the event they sell out of them in the middle of the tour. I like the song. If it is still available for the Austin show in a few weeks, I'll probably grab one.

ohhh I didn’t know that. I hope to have the option in Houston then!

Is anyone picking up the 7” from the tour? I haven’t decided whether I wanted to or not.

I saw them on Sunday in Louisville. I did not see 7" for sale, but I wasn't looking for it. They had their latest album signed for $35. I have the VMP version, so I didn't get it, though I did buy their previous album No Cities to Love. They have several shirts and hoodies for sale.

I posted a few pics over in the Upcoming/Recent Shows thread. They were great and had a ton of energy. I wish I recorded "Hurry On Home," I like the song and it was even better live.

Wasn't Janet on that track too? Sooooo...did they get her to sign too? Probably not, but, if so...AWKWARD!

I didn't think of that. I should have taken a pic of the signed album, but I *think* there were three signatures on it! Don't remember for sure, though.

Oh shit, didn’t even think of that. Gotta get there early I guess.

The opener for our show was a guy singing in an opera style about his daily life with the translation displayed on a big screen. He was funny and creative.

Nothing turns me off faster at a show. Earn my energy like when you were young and hungry for it.

ETA: That's actually not true, there are lots of things that can turn me off faster than that, but I still don't like it.
Years and years and years and years ago, I saw SK in NOLA. Carrie threw a temper tantrum about something. I'm not entirely sure what it was about. But they left the stage after only about 1/3 of their set. Corin came back on and apologized and said they had to end.

Carrie can be quite a brat. Her calling out the audience does not surprise me.

Years and years and years and years ago, I saw SK in NOLA. Carrie threw a temper tantrum about something. I'm not entirely sure what it was about. But they left the stage after only about 1/3 of their set. Corin came back on and apologized and said they had to end.

Carrie can be quite a brat. Her calling out the audience does not surprise me.

I watched Wayne Coyne pout and act pretty shitty to a benefit crowd that wasn't all-in on a Flaming Lips set. It was pretty off-putting. Not everybody at a multi-act benefit show knows all the words to all your songs, or the bits that go along with certain songs in a live setting. Get over yourself.

Back