sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

Saw them last night in Atlanta (and posted a few pics in the recent shows thread). Fantastic, fantastic show. 27 songs, 2 encores, and the new ones had a scrappier edge that sounded great mixed in with the standards. The crowd was one of the most enthusiastic I've seen in my ten years here, and Carrie was obviously appreciative. She openly wept through the two encores and commented at one point, "You guys keep making me cry." A great night.

Last edited:
My knees hurt, my voice is scratchy, I am dehydrated and tired. But good god damn, that show shredded! And it was a delight to hang with @mcherry

You all know I have been very lukewarm on this new album so my expectations going into this show were tampered. I will say this: if anyone thought it wouldn't be a good show because Janet is no longer there or because the new album isn't great, dispel those thoughts now. Go to the show. SK is an amazing band because it was comprised of 3 incredibly talented women who all brought something to the table. Well, 2/3rds of that band remain. I realized that I had forgotten that in my focus on Janet being absent. Carrie and Corin fucking killed last night. And those new songs make a lot more sense in the context of a live show with the lights and the venue.

I'll have more thoughts later. I need to go ice my knees now (and yell at these kids to get off my lawn).

My knees hurt, my voice is scratchy, I am dehydrated and tired. But good god damn, that show shredded! And it was a delight to hang with @mcherry

You all know I have been very lukewarm on this new album so my expectations going into this show were tampered. I will say this: if anyone thought it wouldn't be a good show because Janet is no longer there or because the new album isn't great, dispel those thoughts now. Go to the show. SK is an amazing band because it was comprised of 3 incredibly talented women who all brought something to the table. Well, 2/3rds of that band remain. I realized that I had forgotten that in my focus on Janet being absent. Carrie and Corin fucking killed last night. And those new songs make a lot more sense in the context of a live show with the lights and the venue.

I'll have more thoughts later. I need to go ice my knees now (and yell at these kids to get off my lawn).
Good to hear. Thanks for the report. It makes me wonder what the new songs would have sounded like with someone like John Goodmanson producing.

Great to hear! Glad you guys were able to catch that show together, and that it was a good one. More excited for the November show now after your review.

carrie seemed to call the crowd out a bit to show a little more energy.

This kinda shit makes me very, very angry.

In Connecticut, we used to have a yearly festival thrown by "Radio 104," 104.1 on the dial. To be fair to them, in their heyday they were ahead of their time. They were playing 120 Minutes stuff months before 120 Minutes caught wind. I got free tickets in 2002, so I decided to keep them and check it out. Headliners were Blink 182 (not my thing, but great live), Green Day (exceeded even my 14-year-old self's expectations) and Saves The Day (the worst band I have ever seen live; their shows don't do their albums justice).

Why am I bringing this up? Because MEST and Dee Snider. Yes, THAT Dee Snider, who was the morning show person on that station.

So, MEST, for those who don't know, is a shitty pop-punk band. Like Blink-182, but without the good songs and, if you don't like Blink-182, that should tell you how fucking bad they are.
10 minutes into their set, they went AT the audience, about how we sucked, about how we need to get into it and we must be the problem.
Near the end of their set, Dee Snider came out with them and did the WORST version of "We're Not Going To Take It" you can imagine, wrong chords, drummer at different parts of the song than anyone else, just awful, somehow worse than when Motley Crue covered "Anarchy In The UK."
So, fuck MEST.
And fuck Dee Snider for coming out hours later and saying that we are what makes their festival a success.

So, when I read that any artist is castigating the crowd, I think of that.
Maybe the crowd isn't the problem?

...then again, conversely:

Consider the source.
And I trust everything this woman posts.

Nothing turns me off faster at a show. Earn my energy like when you were young and hungry for it.

This kinda shit makes me very, very angry.

jesus, guys. i mean, you can watch the video before animal and see where carrie corin (my bad) ribs the folks down front a little bit. it's not like she took a shit on us as a crowd or demanded we be more into the show. and, frankly, her ribbing was deserved- we weren't the most excitable group of people that night, and i assure you carrie didn't feel compelled to cry at our show because of the crowd response. the band certainly did their part that night.

jesus, guys. i mean, you can watch the video before animal and see where carrie corin (my bad) ribs the folks down front a little bit. it's not like she took a shit on us as a crowd or demanded we be more into the show. and, frankly, her ribbing was deserved- we weren't the most excitable group of people that night, and i assure you carrie didn't feel compelled to cry at our show because of the crowd response. the band certainly did their part that night.
I just meant in general. I think it’s a contrarian streak in me. Any show I’ve ever been at where a performer comments that the audience isn’t reacting like they’re “supposed” to will lose me a little bit (unless they’re telling obnoxious people to shut up, and then I’ll love that artist forever for having their crowd’s back)
Y’all would HATE going to a hip hop show!
That energy is kinda different, but you’re definitely not wrong.

😕

Wow. I was not expecting that. For them to cut her out like that. I wonder if we'll see a counter response. I hope this doesn't get nasty. :(

😕

Hey this bums me the fuck out! I hope Janet gets to play music she really loves again soon.

It's like why bother going to band therapy when you've made it clear that Janet is no longer a creative collaborator?

But also - how can Janet not be a creative collaborator anymore? The Woods is not a masterpiece without her drum lines. Heck, there are times when I "sing" Janet's parts on One Beat because they are so much more than just drum lines.

I don't like this. :(

But also - how can Janet not be a creative collaborator anymore? The Woods is not a masterpiece without her drum lines. Heck, there are times when I "sing" Janet's parts on One Beat because they are so much more than just drum lines.

I don't like this. :(

Right? None of those albums would be what they are without Janet. The line about they are fighting for equality and there wasn't going to be equality in the band anymore is pretty damning.

I can't believe how much this bothers me.

Back