sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

I wonder if they are going to do a drum machine for that first date since it’s a festival and the actual tour doesn’t start until a month later.

Just finished my first listen (digital) of the new album, and I'm finding it incredibly tough to analyze. During several of the songs I'm thinking "this is cringe-worthy" at the same time as "wow, this is really good." I'm certain that I don't need this on vinyl right now, and also that the legacy of this album will take years to sort out.

And speaking of the kids, I wish Carrie would swear less.
I kind of thought the same thing about the swearing. Not that I really care, or that swearing bothers me, but it just seemed a little lazy throwing out f bombs in the lyrics at times.

Jeez, that's graphic. I could never have been a doctor.

More thoughts on the new album: to my ears, the albums starts (tracks 1-2) and ends (from "Bad Dance" through the end) really well. It's just that middle section (tracks 3-7) that I find subpar. I don't mind "The Future Is Here" in the context of the album. And "Bad Dance" is the 80s (Oingo Boingo?) jam that Carrie waited her whole life to write; that's by far my favorite track at the moment.

I like it. It's not what I would have wanted, in theory, from a new Sleater-Kinney record, but I enjoy all of the songs and I have all of those other S-K records to spin whenever I'm in the mood for the more classic, rocking S-K vibe.

Poor Sleater-Kinney. And Poor Janet. This whole break up is so sad. It’s like you’re friends with both parts of a couple when they call it a day.

So, I'm still a newb in the SK world. But as I sit here and listen to The Woods, I think the new drummer better be pretty freakin great. I love everything Janet does on this record.

Back