sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

If I look at it as its own album
I'm not a huge S-K fan, but have listened to them over the years and I think @MadLucas' statement is spot on here. On it's own it's not bad at all, but if you compare it to other S-K albums it feels like it's missing something, there are some obvious Anne Clark touches and influence. Not saying that's good or bad, it's just there, and I like Annie very much, it just seems S-K's identity kind of went by the way side on this one.

Last edited:
where's the vocal interplay that used to exist? Where's Janet's thundering?

This is the what I miss the most. Obvi Janet. But also the vocal interplay. You have mentioned The Hot Rock a few times. Is it your favorite of theirs? It is the album that I feel like Carrie and Corin really got into a groove with their vocal interplay.

This Carrie front woman stuff is irking me.

I like the album. I do. My brain is just so confused.

Just finished my first listen (digital) of the new album, and I'm finding it incredibly tough to analyze. During several of the songs I'm thinking "this is cringe-worthy" at the same time as "wow, this is really good." I'm certain that I don't need this on vinyl right now, and also that the legacy of this album will take years to sort out.

And speaking of the kids, I wish Carrie would swear less.

Is it "Sleater-Kinney" or "Sleater Kinney" just realized I have all of their albums tagged as "Sleater Kinney" in my iTunes whereas the new one was tagged as "Sleater-Kinney". I never actually paid attention to that before.

Also, after one listens, sounds cringe at times and not like Sleater-Kinney at all. It's treading the line between pop and rock but it doesn't go deep into either. I dunno, it's average at best.

Is it "Sleater-Kinney" or "Sleater Kinney" just realized I have all of their albums tagged as "Sleater Kinney" in my iTunes whereas the new one was tagged as "Sleater-Kinney". I never actually paid attention to that before.

Also, after one listens, sounds cringe at times and not like Sleater-Kinney at all. It's treading the line between pop and rock but it doesn't go deep into either. I dunno, it's average at best.

It's def hyphenated; even though the road it is named after is not.

Time to go re-tagging!

I can't weigh in on this personally, but a good friend of mine has been a huge fan of S-K from the start.

He said this review summed it up for him:

I can't weigh in on this personally, but a good friend of mine has been a huge fan of S-K from the start.

He said this review summed it up for him:

And if it gets a negative review from a neutered, relentless hype machine blog like Stereogum, that is truly saying something.

After another few listens, my biased instinct is that this album won’t have much left in the tank after the initial novelty of hearing new arrangements, new sounds, and new choices from an incredible band wears off. I can see, in a few years, members of the band looking back and noting that the songwriting process was a bit too stretched thin or disconnected and that the experiment didn’t fully work, most likely while selling a new ‘return to basics’ album. :giggle: A new rock record from SK with a new permanent voice contributing ideas from behind the drums could be pretty energizing and awesome though. I hope they put out another album.

After another few listens, my biased instinct is that this album won’t have much left in the tank after the initial novelty of hearing new arrangements, new sounds, and new choices from an incredible band wears off. I can see, in a few years, members of the band looking back and noting that the songwriting process was a bit too stretched thin or disconnected and that the experiment didn’t fully work, most likely while selling a new ‘return to basics’ album. :giggle: A new rock record from SK with a new permanent voice contributing ideas from behind the drums could be pretty energizing and awesome though. I hope they put out another album.

This is a bit tangential, but I saw Alvvays in concert a couple of times recently and their drummer Sheridan Riley (who from what I can tell is a hired gun, and not a permanent band member) was fantastic and (I swear!) giving off some Janet vibes. Someone please tell S-K about her, please and thank you.

This is a bit tangential, but I saw Alvvays in concert a couple of times recently and their drummer Sheridan Riley (who from what I can tell is a hired gun, and not a permanent band member) was fantastic and (I swear!) giving off some Janet vibes. Someone please tell S-K about her, please and thank you.
Their first show is sept 5. But no word or leak on who the drummer will be. Am I the only one that finds that odd?

Only one listen so far but my overall is that I liked it. I forget which interview it was that said they’d been listening to a lot of Depeche Mode and I totally hear that, lol. At a few points I was ready for the tension to be released in a bombastic angry explosion so I felt a bit unsatisfied in that. In some ways it feels like something put together from afar but in other songs it felt like the perfect combination. Idk. I think the ‘grower’ opinion is apt. Not perfect, could be better, but still enjoyable to me.

I ended up getting the VMP variant and the standard black. I only listened to the vmp so far but the pressing sounds good. And I really like the jacket, the feel of it, and the foil stamp lettering. But I like the inner sleeve of the standard black better. The cutout for the labels makes the eyes really stand out. And black vinyl is much more comforting to me.

Only one listen so far but my overall is that I liked it. I forget which interview it was that said they’d been listening to a lot of Depeche Mode and I totally hear that, lol. At a few points I was ready for the tension to be released in a bombastic angry explosion so I felt a bit unsatisfied in that. In some ways it feels like something put together from afar but in other songs it felt like the perfect combination. Idk. I think the ‘grower’ opinion is apt. Not perfect, could be better, but still enjoyable to me.

I ended up getting the VMP variant and the standard black. I only listened to the vmp so far but the pressing sounds good. And I really like the jacket, the feel of it, and the foil stamp lettering. But I like the inner sleeve of the standard black better. The cutout for the labels makes the eyes really stand out. And black vinyl is much more comforting to me.
Also I found the VMP red to be a super-boring color choice.

Back