sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

I’m not trying to start something here, and admit I haven’t read the articles mentioned above (yet), so I may be missing context; but what exactly is the problem with pointing out that they are aging? I mean I didn’t see this kind of backlash in regards to an article about how the top concert attractions last year were all older men (although that may just be that I wasn’t paying attention). Just wondering how the mix of gender and age becomes problematic.
My understanding is that it's the narrative SK is putting forward with this album. They were all over 40 during the last tour and I didn't read nearly as much about it as I am this time around.

My understanding is that it's the narrative SK is putting forward with this album. They were all over 40 during the last tour and I didn't read nearly as much about it as I am this time around.

agreed

what's even weirder is that the story being sold is 'women who are over 40 can still rock!' when, at least judging on the singles so far, this album sounds like it ain't gonna rock at all

Okay. Has anyone gotten their copy yet?

I’m doubting mine will come by the release date since I ordered directly from the band through Merchtable. I ordered the split color.

Anyway, I watched the unboxing video and apparently the indie stores black copy comes with stickers and the Hurry On Home 7”. I’m bummed because you would think ordering the color version would also get the extras (not that I neeeeed them).

Less than a week before release date!

Okay. Has anyone gotten their copy yet?

I’m doubting mine will come by the release date since I ordered directly from the band through Merchtable. I ordered the split color.

Anyway, I watched the unboxing video and apparently the indie stores black copy comes with stickers and the Hurry On Home 7”. I’m bummed because you would think ordering the color version would also get the extras (not that I neeeeed them).

Less than a week before release date!
I expect to get mine next thurs or fri. Some of the VMP subscribers have them in hand though. Maybe someone can post a pic for us???

Please read and then join me in discussing:

I'm not much of a SK fan, but is was seriously surpized to find out that Weiss needed a day job as a TV Location Manager. Was SK not a sustainable band? I would have thought they were middle class musicians at the least.

I'm not much of a SK fan, but is was seriously surpized to find out that Weiss needed a day job as a TV Location Manager. Was SK not a sustainable band? I would have thought they were middle class musicians at the least.
Like most musicians I'm sure they made most of their money from touring, so if they weren't on the road, the money's probably not flowing.

I, too, found that surprising. Especially since Janet seems to have so many music projects going at once. I clearly have zero idea how musicians make a living.

I think this is more of a sign of the life of a "middle class musician." If you're not touring, you're not making money. And in a larger conflict for artists, touring is expensive. It's a hard way to make a living until you reach a certain status.

I, too, found that surprising. Especially since Janet seems to have so many music projects going at once. I clearly have zero idea how musicians make a living.
I think this is more of a sign of the life of a "middle class musician." If you're not touring, you're not making money. And in a larger conflict for artists, touring is expensive. It's a hard way to make a living until you reach a certain status.

The career is telling also (TV production location manager). It seems like it connected CB's Portlandia. Considering the market in Portland there can't me more than a handful (5-6), 10 at most in that city. It's not a glamorous job to say the least. They are usually first in and last out on days that can be pretty long. However the freelance nature would be good for people with other creative endeavors.

Back