sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

I read the original interview when it was published the other day and didn’t feel particularly outraged by it. I assumed the pilot was based around CB’s memoir, so would more be the search for Lora than Janet. Re: the choice of Annie to produce and Janet’s initial enthusiasm - sometimes things don’t turn out as you thought they might and feelings on the outcome change, particularly if you’ve not been able to be 100% there all the time.

The first name that pops in my head that was on the same power plane as Janet is Patty Schemel. At the same time, I'm not sure they necessarily want that power anymore.

And no denying it - Kermit The Frog is a much bigger name than Janet's old band.
Patty doesn’t get enough love or appreciation. She’s a major force to be reckoned with.

-I think the power dynamic in the band shifted coming back because Carrie had a tv show and is a recognizable celebrity. It doesn’t feel like the three members were on equal footing anymore and that Carrie was the lead now. That hasn’t sat well with me.

So much this. I can't tell you how many people say something like this to me, "Oh Sleater Kinney - the lead singer is in Portlandia, right?"

Grrrr.

I really really want to hear this song:

"Broken, the bluesy piano ballad that took the Rihanna inspiration somewhere very different. It’s a tribute to Christine Blasey Ford, who alleged that supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh assaulted her in 1982. “She stood up for us when she testified me, me too,” Tucker sings, ruefully: “My body cried out when she spoke those lines.”

I think I said, "Fuck you" out loud at that point in the article. It is such an unnecessarily demeaning thing to say.

I think it's interesting that we seem to be projecting our biases on these quotes. When I read that same passage (the whole "we started as a duo and will it that way"), my initial thought was, "yeah, that's cool, that makes sense." I didn't find it demeaning at all. That said, I've had a positive association with CB specifically since she used to blog for NPR, and I've read her book. So maybe everything I'm reading about this split is colored by that pro-CB bias.

And while I've always thought of Janet as "unimpeachable," at least on the surface it's hard to condone what she did (abruptly quit on the band ahead of a tour). If anything, CT and CB seem to be fairly understanding, if that passage about "we wouldn't want her to stick around and be unhappy" is to be believed.

My final note on biases is that I'm a guy, so it's possible that subtle digs just go way over my head.

I think it's interesting that we seem to be projecting our biases on these quotes. When I read that same passage (the whole "we started as a duo and will it that way"), my initial thought was, "yeah, that's cool, that makes sense." I didn't find it demeaning at all. That said, I've had a positive association with CB specifically since she used to blog for NPR, and I've read her book. So maybe everything I'm reading about this split is colored by that pro-CB bias.

And while I've always thought of Janet as "unimpeachable," at least on the surface it's hard to condone what she did (abruptly quit on the band ahead of a tour). If anything, CT and CB seem to be fairly understanding, if that passage about "we wouldn't want her to stick around and be unhappy" is to be believed.

My final note on biases is that I'm a guy, so it's possible that subtle digs just go way over my head.
You are right, my bias is shining through. CB used to be the end all be all of rock crushes for me. No one came close. I used to read that blog too! (Remember when she raved about the other Ladyhawk band and their song S.T.H.D.?) I've soured on her since Portlandia. And I thought that her memoir, although an enjoyable read, did not make her seem hugely compassionate or sympathetic. I'm quite sure my bias shows.

I don't think it helps my bias that CB has been the most vocal about this break up. CT and JW seem to be moving forward in the best way for themselves. I want CB to hush and just let it be. At the end of the day, although the fans may want to know why, we don't need to know why.

And the stereogum hyperbolic click-baity article certainly did not help my bias. The full article is far better.

I'm looking forward to Oct 26th (the day after the SK show) when I again eat crow and SK has regained their status as my favoritest/untouchable band.

I don't think it helps my bias that CB has been the most vocal about this break up. CT and JW seem to be moving forward in the best way for themselves.
Corin has been putting out music for the last 2-3 years with Peter Buck in Filthy Friends. Janet has been playing in Quasi and also Slang. I don't think Carrie has another musical outlet, as her other outlet has been as an actor AFAIK. That could be a contributing factor in Carrie being so vocal - S-K is the only music thing she has. The other people are already involved in other things music-wise.
I'm looking forward to Oct 26th (the day after the SK show) when I again eat crow and SK has regained their status as my favoritest/untouchable band.
If you dig them after seeing the new version, you dig them. Nothing wrong with that!

You are right, my bias is shining through. CB used to be the end all be all of rock crushes for me. No one came close. I used to read that blog too! (Remember when she raved about the other Ladyhawk band and their song S.T.H.D.?) I've soured on her since Portlandia. And I thought that her memoir, although an enjoyable read, did not make her seem hugely compassionate or sympathetic. I'm quite sure my bias shows.

I don't think it helps my bias that CB has been the most vocal about this break up. CT and JW seem to be moving forward in the best way for themselves. I want CB to hush and just let it be. At the end of the day, although the fans may want to know why, we don't need to know why.

And the stereogum hyperbolic click-baity article certainly did not help my bias. The full article is far better.

I’m just looking forward to Corin melting my face off with that awesome voice of hers. :)

Corin has been putting out music for the last 2-3 years with Peter Buck in Filthy Friends. Janet has been playing in Quasi and also Slang. I don't think Carrie has another musical outlet, as her other outlet has been as an actor AFAIK. That could be a contributing factor in Carrie being so vocal - S-K is the only music thing she has. The other people are already involved in other things music-wise.

If you dig them after seeing the new version, you dig them. Nothing wrong with that!
You're so right - I hadn't thought of that re: CB not having another outlet. She should just reunite Excuse 17. ;)

Another new single out today, 'Can I Go On'. I like this one better than the previous two. Sounds like the kind of thing that Sweet Spirit is doing these days. Not sure if that is officially St. Vincent guesting on guitar, or someone playing St. Vincent-like guitar lines.

Another new single out today, 'Can I Go On'. I like this one better than the previous two. Sounds like the kind of thing that Sweet Spirit is doing these days. Not sure if that is officially St. Vincent guesting on guitar, or someone playing St. Vincent-like guitar lines.
It's still lacking most the elements that made SK a daily listen for me, but this is by far my favorite of the singles released thus far. I could get down to a St. Vincent "inspired" album that went more in this direction. Unfortunately this is the current outlier, but who knows how it will play as a whole. For me, this song at least gives a shred of optimism.

Back