Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread

Agreed. I personally prefer The Love Symbol Album to Diamonds and Pearls, even with its flaws. The songs are much more fully-realized to those of Diamonds.
I agree. I think The Love Symbol is a fully realised album that has a diverse track-listing. It's a magnificent album. There's at least 3-4 songs on Diamonds and Pearls in my opinion that sound outdated. 'Daddy Pop' instantly comes to memory.

I'm not so sure it is "overrated" though. By whom? Critically? *Most* critics give it a favorable but not overly-flattering review. Fans? I don't often hear fans being like, "Parade, Purple Rain, SOTT? Yea...but have you heard Diamonds & Pearls?" I think it's "rated" - neither over nor under.

I'm sure there are fans that that album has more significance for....for whatever reasons. That is a different story. It's difficult - and mostly we don't even do it - to differentiate between "the best" and "our favorite" albums from an artist. That would take some real self-awareness and honesty to do.
I think Diamonds and Pearls is a little overrated by Prince's fanbase, when ranking his discography. Definitely not critically - I didn't see that album making any end-of-year lists or anything, deservedly so. Also, I 100% agree with your last few sentences too. I think a lot of Prince fans rank Diamonds and Pearls high is because of nostalgia and because it contained some semi-signature Prince hits, like 'Diamonds and Pearls' and 'Cream'. 'Get Off' would've been a song that was big in the clubs I'd imagine too. Diamonds and Pearls has great singles, but a lot of the non-single cuts are very underwhelming. Still, the song 'Strollin' is a very nice song - a very light, airy song that was much needed in that tracklisting from overproduced songs like Daddy Pop.

Omg yaaaaaas! This would be mine and @Lord Diaper Baby except switch Around The World in a Day with Dirty Mind! ♥

Dirty Mind just missed out to 1999 .....

Around the world.... is awesome for me...Paisley Park, Raspberry Beret, Condition of the heart , America , Tambourine..it’s chocca full of great tracks and utterly unique to his cannon ...

Got the 8CD/DVD Super Deluxe today. Unfortunately, my experience echoes the worst reviews on Amazon & Discogs - scratched and scuffed discs. I didn't even bother giving them a listen to see if they skip (i.e. I'm not doing the QC for the company - not for that many discs). I didn't even bother asking for a replacement - straight return for refund.

Gonna go w/ the LP Super Deluxe now. My reasoning for CDs are that with such a big set, it's nice not to be beholden to dropping a needle (especially with the Single Mixes & Edits - I don't need to listen to three versions of Hot Thing in a row so a CD is nice for being able to pick & choose easier; the Vault Tracks aren't really a factor for vinyl, as, I believe, only Strange Relationship is repeated w/ different versions and they are at the beginning and end of those tracks).

I think what I'll do is eventually get the 3CD Deluxe that comes in reasonable packaging and has the Single Mixes & Edits as the third disc.

It's a shame, because the packaging is beautiful. I'm not too disappointed though, as I've watched some unboxing vids of the LP Super Deluxe and it is beautiful. TBH, I probably would've bought both (I did for the 1999), but not now with the way the SOTT CDs are packaged.

Thought.....and maybe I'm alone here....

But any interest in renaming this thread? "Prince" is kind of, well, common for royalty. Everyone else's artist thread has some fancy name (really, are we going to let U2 have a more elaborate named thread than PRINCE?), why can't we have one? And is it even possible - can the originator (I believe, @LordKel) rename?

If there is any interest and it can be done, maybe we can hold a vote on best name after nominating some?

Off the top of the dome...

"This is what it sounds like....When Prince fans type"
"His name is Prince and he is funky" or "His name is Prince, the one and only"
"The Everlasting Now...The Prince Thread"
"It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night....The Prince Thread"
"Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread"
"Purple Reign" (coincidentally also the name of a Vegas-based tribute act)

Yah! I was talking to someone the other day who mentioned that the 80's Prince albums especially were known for sounding kind of flat. The bass is just so much more pronounced on these recent reissues.

Yep, the bass, background vocal effects , separation, detail ..it’s like a new record ..absolutely brilliant..haven’t even got to the unreleased stuff yet ..the remaster is so good

Yah! I was talking to someone the other day who mentioned that the 80's Prince albums especially were known for sounding kind of flat. The bass is just so much more pronounced on these recent reissues.
I’ve been listening to the SOTT podcast and he bought a new board during this time period that has a lot to do with the sound of this album.

All that being said, Bernie is a god.

I’ve been listening to the SOTT podcast and he bought a new board during this time period that has a lot to do with the sound of this album.

All that being said, Bernie is a god.

How's your wife enjoying the podcast?

Back