Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread

Ok, so I don't think that Music Express thing is going to work out. The invoice they FINALLY sent me only included instructions for direct debit and it needs an IBAN, which I don't believe U.S. banks use (at least mine doesn't have one). Any way, I messaged them back asking if there is another way I can pay (i.e. Paypal). But if it doesn't work out then no huge deal.

they ever answer you back on this?

If I saw anything less than a perfect score, I was gonna quit the internet.

Is this Boxset on vinyl worth the price for those that have it in their opinion? I’m gonna maybe work some Saturdays and get extra cash and that would go towards buying a Sign O The Times vinyl Boxset! 😍

Do you guys like the live 3LP set too? I haven’t heard it, but could imagine it being a great concert recording!

Is this Boxset on vinyl worth the price for those that have it in their opinion? I’m gonna maybe work some Saturdays and get extra cash and that would go towards buying a Sign O The Times vinyl Boxset! 😍

Do you guys like the live 3LP set too? I haven’t heard it, but could imagine it being a great concert recording!
I have the vinyl box set on the way, after not being impressed with the quality with which the CD box arrived. So, I can only go based on unboxings I've watched and the quality (scratches aside) of the CD set. It's a very well put together set. Are the book and case worth it? Debatable - it's not going to be some ultimate guide to Prince or SOTT; but the images inside are very nice. Knowing your predilection for extras, that probably wouldn't be a selling point.

So, music content - I'd say the vault tracks and original album remaster are what shine. The Single Edits & Remixes are fine but it's the vault tracks and the remaster of the album that are the selling point - outside of the novelty of the box - in my opinion.

Is it worth working overtime and needing to get extra cash for? I'd say ultimately, probably not. You may be best served buying the 2LP remaster and buying digital downloads of the vault tracks. Or buying the 4LP (which will give you the Singles) and downloading the vault tracks (and grabbing Live in Utrecht, if you like)

Also, did you get the 1999 Super Deluxe? If you found that worthwhile - and liked the copious amount of tracks on that then you'd probably find SOTT worth it. If you found it to be more of a novelty and shelf-space killer then you may be better served by the slimmed-down options.

I have the vinyl box set on the way, after not being impressed with the quality with which the CD box arrived. So, I can only go based on unboxings I've watched and the quality (scratches aside) of the CD set. It's a very well put together set. Are the book and case worth it? Debatable - it's not going to be some ultimate guide to Prince or SOTT; but the images inside are very nice. Knowing your predilection for extras, that probably wouldn't be a selling point.

So, music content - I'd say the vault tracks and original album remaster are what shine. The Single Edits & Remixes are fine but it's the vault tracks and the remaster of the album that are the selling point - outside of the novelty of the box - in my opinion.

Is it worth working overtime and needing to get extra cash for? I'd say ultimately, probably not. You may be best served buying the 2LP remaster and buying digital downloads of the vault tracks. Or buying the 4LP (which will give you the Singles) and downloading the vault tracks (and grabbing Live in Utrecht, if you like)
This is a really great response! It’s only AUD$375 on Amazon, which equals a Saturday shift at the warehouse I’m at now! I skipped working today, but if they have Saturday work next week (I’m pretty sure they will), then I’m gonna do it and buy this Boxset!

I totally agree that the vault tracks are the selling point! I listened to them and really enjoyed them! Excellent to know this remaster sounds brilliant and is much better then the original/2016 pressing!

I’m going to listen to the live recordings now actually, just to see whether I really think it’s worth paying AUD$375 for - which by the way seems like an amazing deal for me at the moment!

Also, did you get the 1999 Super Deluxe? If you found that worthwhile - and liked the copious amount of tracks on that then you'd probably find SOTT worth it. If you found it to be more of a novelty and shelf-space killer then you may be better served by the slimmed-down options.
Definitely getting the Boxset! You know what, I’m gonna order it now I think! AUD$375 + free shipping seems too good to be true for us Aussies!

Warner Bros is selling it is the Aus store for like AUD$720 I think. AUD$700 something!

Omg it’s so tough but I’m just going to go with the 4LP Boxset of Sign O The Times! I love the song La, La, La, He, He, Hee and the highly explosive version is awesome too! Shockadelica is a magnificent track too, and sounds extremely like a song that would fit perfectly into the Sign O’ The Times tracklisting! The ‘Long Look’ is awesome too!

I think Shocadelica (long version) and La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) are better than any of the vault tracks to be honest, so I’m gonna go with the 4LP I think. 7 Minutes MoQuake is so good too! That would sound so good on the turntable with how good the pressings/mastering is too!

Also, How Come You Dont Call Me and Irresistible B|tch were my two favourite songs from the Deluxe 1999 edition, and they were on the 4LP set too, not just on the deluxe!

So yeah, 4LP set for me! Vault tracks are great, but I’ll just stream it. Live set is great but don’t need it and the Boxset is just huge in general, so I’m gonna go with the 4LP Boxset!

Thank you very much for your input @Lord Diaper Baby ! 🤝 Appreciate it buddy! ♥️

Omg it’s so tough but I’m just going to go with the 4LP Boxset of Sign O The Times! I love the song La, La, La, He, He, Hee and the highly explosive version is awesome too! Shockadelica is a magnificent track too, and sounds extremely like a song that would fit perfectly into the Sign O’ The Times tracklisting! The ‘Long Look’ is awesome too!

I think Shocadelica (long version) and La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) are better than any of the vault tracks to be honest, so I’m gonna go with the 4LP I think. 7 Minutes MoQuake is so good too! That would sound so good on the turntable with how good the pressings/mastering is too!

Also, How Come You Dont Call Me and Irresistible B|tch were my two favourite songs from the Deluxe 1999 edition, and they were on the 4LP set too, not just on the deluxe!

So yeah, 4LP set for me! Vault tracks are great, but I’ll just stream it. Live set is great but don’t need it and the Boxset is just huge in general, so I’m gonna go with the 4LP Boxset!

Thank you very much for your input @Lord Diaper Baby ! 🤝 Appreciate it buddy! ♥️
No worries, man. It’s always good to be able to work out your reasoning out loud.

Can I Play With U? Featuring Miles Davis is probably my favourite cut from the Vault Tracks! That song is just superb! Wonderful Day is so freaking good too! Love the percussion and instrumentation on that track a lot in general!

Aaargh! So tough to choose between the 4LP Boxset or 13LP Boxset! What do you think @Lord Diaper Baby!? Need your final call! I think it’ll be the 4LP Boxset but this is Prince!

Can I Play With U? Featuring Miles Davis is probably my favourite cut from the Vault Tracks! That song is just superb! Wonderful Day is so freaking good too! Love the percussion and instrumentation on that track a lot in general!

Aaargh! So tough to choose between the 4LP Boxset or 13LP Boxset! What do you think @Lord Diaper Baby!? Need your final call! I think it’ll be the 4LP Boxset but this is Prince!
All good! I’m just being stupid! 4LP Boxset for sure! 13LP Boxset is amazing but just too big! If it was a 10LP set with a bit of a lower price, I’d probably get it. But I’m more than happy getting the 4LP set as La, La, La, He, He, Hee and Shockadelica are brilliant songs! 😊👍

Lol. I can't be your final call. And if it wasn't the middle of the night for a lot of the forum, you'd be getting more input.

Big picture - it's just stuff. If your instinct is to go for the 4LP then I'd do that. I know there is other equipment/gear you've been eyeing so saving $ for that isn't a bad call.

Prince picture - It is, in fact, Prince. So I'm biased. This whole thread is going to be biased lol. But...the beautiful ones always smash the picture. Always every time.

If you don't think it's going to be gone the next couple of days at the price you said is great then I'd let it mill about in your head for a couple days before you pickle.

I see as I wrote this that you've *settled* on the 4LP. Again, if that's your gut then I'd go with it.

Lol. I can't be your final call. And if it wasn't the middle of the night for a lot of the forum, you'd be getting more input.

Big picture - it's just stuff. If your instinct is to go for the 4LP then I'd do that. I know there is other equipment/gear you've been eyeing so saving $ for that isn't a bad call.

Prince picture - It is, in fact, Prince. So I'm biased. This whole thread is going to be biased lol. But...the beautiful ones always smash the picture. Always every time.

If you don't think it's going to be gone the next couple of days at the price you said is great then I'd let it mill about in your head for a couple days before you pickle.

I see as I wrote this that you've *settled* on the 4LP. Again, if that's your gut then I'd go with it.
Mmmmm The Beautiful Ones really is something special! Ahhhh breathtaking really! 🤩

Mmmmm, I think after reading this; I’m definitely getting the 4LP! I still want to save for the equipment, as you mentioned, and I’m more than happy with the 4LP! Especially as this 2020 remaster is an improvement! 😊

Simple answer - yes

Just because we had been talking about the German RS and MusikExpress (still waiting to see about that), here is a website where you can grab a bunch of past Prince magazine issues....

a few in a cart that caught my eye (incl a 2018 German RS that had 1999/17 days 7")

Hopefully, it will let you see what I thought was eye-catching in the cart I built and isn't reliant on my cookies (may be). Some of the prices are....ouch! But if anything catches your eye there is at least 10% off first order for subscribing to a newsletter.

Ok, so the link will just go to an empty cart now. But if you search "Prince" you'll see a lot of stuff; although you'll have to wade through a bunch of results about the royal family (they didn't seem to have a more robust search function). Some stuff, like Hot Press & Jan/Feb 2020 Rolling Stones, were ridiculously priced. Other stuff not so bad (of note: NME, that '18 German RS w/ 7", Conde Nast, Classic Pop). They also have Uncut's Ultimate Guide; however, if you're in the U.S. you can get it cheaper from the NME/Uncut U.S. shop.

And, while I'm here, I got these Wax Poetics in hardcover a long while back and they're nicely done (the top one has Frank Ocean on the back, to boot):

Last edited:
Funny enough, I got those MusikExpress magazines (w/ the Kate Bush 7"s - I ordered two copies of the issue) in the mail. They still haven't charged me any money. I sent them my CC info but I think they sent me the magazines before I even sent that info. I thought it was my German RS copies 'cause my wife told me some magazines had arrived. Then she showed me on Skype the MusikExpress and I was like "Hmmm...so they just send shit without getting paid, okay." So, to anyone interested in them - they can be gotten but it is a process that in no way resembles the efficiency for which Germans are known.

Speaking of the German RS....I emailed them a bit ago and asked when they were going to ship (before I saw people saying that they got theirs' w/out shipping notices). They replied yesterday; although I initially wrote off the email response since I thought I had gotten them until I just realized they were the aforementioned MusikExpress. Their reply was that there was a shipping delay and "You will receive the magazine in the 42th calendar week." -- which, by my calculations, is next week. But to my German friends....is that shit y'all say?! I mean, I'm all aboard with the European preference for Day/Month/Year (right, smallest to largest) and being in the military we often write dates like that. But is it common to reference stuff as week of the calendar year it is?

SOTT box....I received my vinyl box set today. As noted in an earlier post, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the CD set (I emailed the official store to ask if they were tracking some of the negative reviews re: QC and scratches and they said they were and that they were addressing them with the manufacturer for whatever that's worth; I may give the CD set another go in the future). Back to the vinyl set...it looks great. Came in pretty good condition; no major flaws or damage - they package it well. I'll have to wait till I get to the U.S. in March to actually listen to it, but it looks great (my wife indulges me over Skype and we do in-depth unboxings).

Back