Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread

How many of those Prince albums are missing liner notes or printed inner sleeves?
All of them, except for the 1999 boxset, as I just left everything in there as it is! The only thing extra I have is legit that poster from Controversy because it's so iconic! No way I could've thrown out that poster! I've also got the deluxe edition of Piano & A Microphone 1983, so I've also got the booklet and CD still for that one! :)

All of them, except for the 1999 boxset, as I just left everything in there as it is! The only thing extra I have is legit that poster from Controversy because it's so iconic! No way I could've thrown out that poster! I've also got the deluxe edition of Piano & A Microphone 1983, so I've also got the booklet and CD still for that one! :)
Get. Out.

Ooh, that Piano & A Microphone is nice.

Dirty Mind and Parade for me. And Purple Rain. And Sign O The Times. I can’t choose a favorite between those 4. Now I need to revisit the Love Symbol album
These are legit Prince's strongest four albums in my opinion, along with 1999! Those five Prince albums I confidently say are a 10/10! Controversy and Love Symbol are spectacular albums but aren't 10/10 for me!

@Lee Newman - Just out of curiosity, which album do you prefer more out of Prince's "Love Symbol" or Erykah Badu's "Baduizm"? I love Baduizm so much and recall it being your favourite album of 1997! I wonder if you're favourite Prince album - Love Symbol - is an album you prefer more over Baduizm?

PS - I was thrilled to see Baduizm enter the top 100 of the Rollingstones Top 500 albums of all-time list that came out last week!

That Piano & A Microphone is very nice indeed! Originals is amazing too! I love spinning that one too! 👌

Lord - I want you give me a big hug me to help me grieve over throwing out all the inners and liner notes of nearly every record I have! 😩😆
Lol. You'll live. In the end, it's just stuff.

I think I'm going to listen to Love Symbol today. It's been a while.

I brought all the Prince albums via CD on release from Sign ..til his death ...the first really disappointing release was Graffiti..that’s a poor album ...he recovered for a while but Come was also a weak album (I think that one lost a lot of casual fans as it sold well on release) ..once the whole record label wars started he effectively took himself away from the mainstream ..with the Beautiful girl single success being a false dawn for independence..as once he lost the promotional clout of Warner’s he became , unbelievably, a niche artist ..touring was where he made the money ...for me , the only truly decent album after 1994 (gold exp) was Rainbow Children...all albums have the odd moment of brilliance.(Exodus has the brilliant Count the Days) ....but in terms of consistent quality the pickings are slim. His Purple period was Dirty Mind to Batman for me ..the singles run from those albums is stunning

Best album for me was Parade ...however the new Sign o the Times remaster is stunning and that may well turn out to be his masterpiece...

I brought all the Prince albums via CD on release from Sign ..til his death ...the first really disappointing release was Graffiti..that’s a poor album ...he recovered for a while but Come was also a weak album (I think that one lost a lot of casual fans as it sold well on release) ..once the whole record label wars started he effectively took himself away from the mainstream ..with the Beautiful girl single success being a false dawn for independence..as once he lost the promotional clout of Warner’s he became , unbelievably, a niche artist ..touring was where he made the money ...for me , the only truly decent album after 1994 (gold exp) was Rainbow Children...all albums have the odd moment of brilliance.(Exodus has the brilliant Count the Days) ....but in terms of consistent quality the pickings are slim. His Purple period was Dirty Mind to Batman for me ..the singles run from those albums is stunning

Best album for me was Parade ...however the new Sign o the Times remaster is stunning and that may well turn out to be his masterpiece...
This is pretty spot-on for later releases, in general.

I've posted about this before, so if you've read it already, too bad, lol.

My dad lives in Minneapolis. A couple years ago, we took the kids (now 14 and 10 year old boys) to visit, and visited Paisley Park. It was one of the best experiences of my life. First, you can't take any pics. They take your phone and place it in a locked baggie that can't be opened until the tour is over. The first room the guide takes you in is a huge atrium, with memorabilia everywhere, including the guitar he used on his albums until Purple Rain. He had just passed I think a few months prior, so there was a moment of silence. They let us walk all around the room, absorbing everything there. Seriously, I wept. Next they took us to one of the studios. The LINN was there behind the glass, another small room for recording guitar/bass. They gave us details about what specifically was recorded in that studio, which I cannot remember right now, unfortunately. From there they took us into several rooms that were themed rooms (SOTT, Lovesexy, Purple Rain which had the CLOUD GUITAR!!). For another 90 minutes, maybe 2 hrs, they took us all around, including a couple soundstages where he would perform for his infamous parties.

This was the cheaper tour. Next time we go, we're doing the longer, more extensive tour. We ALL thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids are really into music, and like Prince, so they got a kick out of all the instruments and guitars, hearing the stories being told, and just took it all in.

It truly was a "religious" experience, one I'll never forget, and I highly recommend the trip.

This is also a hot take in my opinion. I think Diamonds and Pearls is very overrated, even though it’s a decent album.
I'm not so sure it is "overrated" though. By whom? Critically? *Most* critics give it a favorable but not overly-flattering review. Fans? I don't often hear fans being like, "Parade, Purple Rain, SOTT? Yea...but have you heard Diamonds & Pearls?" I think it's "rated" - neither over nor under.

I'm sure there are fans that that album has more significance for....for whatever reasons. That is a different story. It's difficult - and mostly we don't even do it - to differentiate between "the best" and "our favorite" albums from an artist. That would take some real self-awareness and honesty to do.

Back