September 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - 'Cause you can't, you won't, and you don't stop!

Day 29: “I burn the competition like a flame thrower, my rhymes age like wine as I get older. I’m getting bolder, competition is waning, I got the ball and I see the lane in.”

Orgone "Lost Knights" (2022 3 Palms Records)
Includes the song "Burn" as well as "Crusader" which could invoke competition. Also, I'd happily go bowling while this is playing. Nobody fucks with the Turbo.

View attachment 152715
Taking a little time to listen to this today. 🔥

Day 29:I burn the competition like a flame thrower, my rhymes age like wine as I get older. I’m getting bolder, competition is waning, I got the ball and I see the lane in

Charles Bradley - No Time for Dreaming

DC1EF34D-110F-44B8-916A-076C291FCA6C.jpeg

An artist that found success late in life (as he got older) with the first song (and one of his more well-known songs) titled “The World (Is Going Up in Flames)”.

Day 29: “I burn the competition like a flame thrower, my rhymes age like wine as I get older. I’m getting bolder, competition is waning, I got the ball and I see the lane in.”

Dave – We're All Alone In This Together
20220929_184347.jpg

Dave performed with a flame thrower guitar at the Brit Awards and it was awesome!

Day 30: “Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan. Asian, Middle-Eastern, and Latin, Black, White, New York you make it happen.”

You know who really made it happen? The guys who sold loose joints in Central Park during this show and donated 1/2 their proceeds to the city. Unsung heroes.

Thanks all for humoring me this month. It was fun to set it up dig deeper into the Beastie Boys catalog, and to see where the lyrics took us. Looking forward to seeing what @Wicked Dreamer has cooked up for October!

I'm just going to assume that everyone posted enough this month to get in the drawing, and will pick someone at random next week for the Beastie Boys book!

Simon & Garfunkel ~ The Concert in Central Park

1664552340584.png

Day 30: “Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan. Asian, Middle-Eastern, and Latin, Black, White, New York you make it happen.”

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

144236DA-25BE-47ED-B6C8-473C72CC5205.jpeg

Many thanks to @imtheocean for the fun month!

When I think of NYC bands, Simon and Garfunkel top the list. And Only Living Boy in New York is one of my all time favorite songs!

The month went by super fast! I thought the challenges would be tougher because of the free association, but they ended up being quite reasonable to meet. A credit to the universality of Beastie Boys lyrics. Thanks for putting this together @imtheocean , it was fun.

Here's what my month looked like:

chart (14).png

Missing on the 23rd: Automagik - Fluorescent Nights

1664555471733.png

The Bogie Band featuring Joe Russo – The Prophets In The City
20220930_142257.jpg

The Bogie Band featuring Joe Russo is a new collaboration between old friends. Stuart Bogie's fiery arrangements meet Russo's dynamic drumming with a ten-piece ensemble utilizing only wind and percussion instruments. Bogie and Russo are joined by a cadre of players whose resumes run through some of New York City’s most beloved bands, including Antibalas, The Dap-Kings, Red Barat, Budos Band, St. Vincent and David Byrne's American Utopia. The nine tracks constructed on their debut album, The Prophets In The City, are riotous and jubilant, pushing the boundaries of wind music.

“The music we’ve created here revels in the human mysteries that unfold in New York City, basking in its connections, ironies, and myths,” explains Bogie. “Through observing its humanity, we hope to invoke the underlying world of the spirits.”

Indeed, The Prophets In The City presents a soundtrack to life in NYC that is at once ancient and immediate. The music paints images of crowded streets, joy and fury together on the sidewalk, golden light shining through scaffolding, and characters that carry mysteries and truths in their hearts. The dynamic arrangements are built on the propulsion of Russo’s drumming, alternating through transcendental minimalism, raucous humor and revelatory wonder; passages of bold gleaming brass ring back and forth in overtone rich harmonies, conjuring new melody in the listener’s imagination.

Day 30:Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan. Asian, Middle-Eastern, and Latin, Black, White, New York you make it happen

Nas - Stillmatic

BD6FA2AA-CF26-4BE5-856A-EBF9E9CB5BA6.jpeg

One of the greatest rappers of all time, in or outside NY.

Shoutout to @imtheocean for a great challenge, I hope I’ll see y’all in the October thread!

chart-6.png

Last edited:
Back