September 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - 'Cause you can't, you won't, and you don't stop!

imtheocean

The last time I did this, it was Neil Young themed but I remember making a Beastie Boys reference and thinking that would be a good challenge. So here we go!

Rules are easy - I've picked some Beastie Boys verses that I think can lead to some great interpretations but decided against putting context against them. Free flow, play a record each day with what you feel fits the verse, bonus points for explaining the connection. As always, try not to duplicate if possible.

If you post all 30 days, I'll put you in a drawing to get a copy of the Beastie Boys book! Or a coupon for a Cookie Puss from Carvel, your choice.

Now, lets...

beastie-boys-fight-for-your-right.gif

Day 1: “You wake up late for school man you don't wanna go. You ask your mom, "Please?" but she still says, "No!"

Day 2: “I got a girl in the Castle and one in the pagoda, You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda”

Day 3: “ Now here's a little story I've got to tell about three bad brothers you know so well, It started way back in history with AdRock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.”

Day 4: “I do not sing but I make a def song, you could live your whole life and I hope you live long. On the Gong Show we won't get gonged, we're the Beastie Boys not Cheech and Chong”

Day 5: “Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat…”

Day 6: “Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat, Like Fred Flinstone driving around with bald feet”

Day 7: “Washing windows on the Bowery at a quarter to four, ‘Cause he ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more.”

Day 8: “Rock my Addidas, never rock Fila”

Day 9: “There’s more to me than you’ll ever know, and I’ve got more hits than Sadaharu Oh”.

Day 10: “We’re just 3 M.C.’s and we’re on the go, Shadrach, Mesach, Aabendago”

Day 11: “Keyboard Money Mark you know he ain’t havin it, just give him some wood and he’ll build you a cabinet”.

Day 12: “You think that you can front when revelation comes? Yeah, you can’t front on that”

Day 13: “I feel like Rufus Thomas, the crown prince of dance. I’m Mike D and I’m known for romance”

Day 14: “ Cause life ain’t nothing but a good groove, a good mixtape to put you in the right mood”

Day 15: “A butterfly floats on the breeze of a sunlit day, as I feel this reality gently fade away. Riding on a thought to see where it’s from, gliding through a memory of a time yet to come”

Day 16: “I want to say a little something that’s long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through”

Day 17: Free Day! Pick your own favorite Beastie Boys verse and play something related to that. Or play something the Beastie’s sampled.

Day 18: “But make no mistakes, and switch up my channel, I’m Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle”

Day 19: “Like Ma Bell, I’ve got the Ill Communication”

Day 20: “I give respect for what’s been borrowed and lent, I know this music comes down from African descent”

Day 21: "Everybody getting’ down, make no mistake. Nothing sounds quite like an 808."

Day 22: "Dogs love me cause I’m crazy sniffable, I bet you never knew I got the ill peripheral."

Day 23: “Let me get some action from the back section, we need body rockin’ not perfection. Let your backbone flip but don’t slip a disc, let your spine unwind just take a risk.”

Day 24: “If you try to knock me you’ll get mocked, I’ll stir fry you in my wok. Your knees will start shaking and your fingers pop, like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock.”

Day 25: “Sweet and sour like a tangerine, fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes. Kenny Rogers’ Gambler is my gambling theme.”

Day 26: “I’m a motherfucking Nick at Night, with the classics re-running that you know all right.”

Day 27: “Because I’m back with a bang boogie oogie oogie, Strawberry Letter 23 like Shuggie. Oh my god, just look at me, Grandpa been rappin’ since ‘83”

Day 28: “Me and Dawn in the shack and we got it goin’ on, Quincy’s in the hot tub like its ‘73”

Day 29: “I burn the competition like a flame thrower, my rhymes age like wine as I get older. I’m getting bolder, competition is waning, I got the ball and I see the lane in.”

Day 30: “Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and Staten, from the Battery to the top of Manhattan. Asian, Middle-Eastern, and Latin, Black, White, New York you make it happen.”

Last edited:
Let's light this firecracker. The last @imtheocean challenge, I was able to play a Neil Young album for every NY clue. Gonna have to be more inventive this go 'round...

Day 1: “You wake up late for school man you don't wanna go. You ask your mom, "Please?" but she still says, "No!"

Alice Cooper said he was inspired to write this song when answering the question, "What's the greatest three minutes of your life?". Cooper said: "There's two times during the year. One is Christmas morning, when you're just getting ready to open the presents. The greed factor is right there. The next one is the last three minutes of the last day of school when you're sitting there and it's like a slow fuse burning. I said, 'If we can catch that three minutes in a song, it's going to be so big.'"

Coop is very creative - the LP cover folds out into an old style flip top school desk and includes a pair of panties, I assume a precursor to "summer fun".

Alice Cooper - School's Out

20220901_000222.jpg

Last edited:

Pink Floyd -The Wall

It's been a minute since I've spun this one, since I've been listening to their early stuff a lot more regularly of late. Also as a professor I can't condone all this anti-school rhetoric. I'll make sausage out of my students yet!

IMG20220901105415.jpg

Thought this prompt would be a good kick off for the month, given its back to school week for some of the ImTheOcean household - teachers and students alike.

Missing the fantastic artwork on my copy (which apparently was one of NME's 50 worst album covers of all time) but the title and content sure matches the Beastie's License to Ill era persona.

Looking forward to everyones picks this month! Thanks for joining!

The Kinks ~ Schoolboys in Disgrace

1662046549697.png

1662046819911.png

Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
72F16795-A54E-4C24-B262-E1400418DC65.jpeg
Almost went with The Beach Boys but this line is more about how much school blows and less about “Being True” to one’s High School. I didn’t hate or love high school, I just kinda got through it. I have a feeling based on many of the tracks on B&S debut that Stuart Murdoch HATED high school. Multiple references throughout the record about being an artsy weirdo outcast. I feel like if Wes Anderson ever wanted to make a movie about an all girls boarding school in the 1970s he would have the perfect fodder with B&S first few albums.

That pretty much sums up my experience with the education system. High school thankfully wasn’t as bad as middle school was for me, I mostly just coasted through it, but I do remember one specific incident where I was being bullied in class & just stormed out in anger, sat in the front office for the rest of class & played music from my phone, this song I remember in particular:

Foreigner - 4

5B2FBFAB-FD57-4EE5-B2DA-ABDC03DEF19C.jpeg

Skipping school in high school was pretty fun. My parents both worked, so I had the gathering house and we smoked weed and listened to Zeppelin and Sabbath. I mean, it clearly led to a series of unfortunate but avoidable events. But at the time, it was just the best.

Zep II was my first Zeppelin album and I still have that (unplayable) copy.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1858.JPGIMG_1857.JPG

Skipping school in high school was pretty fun. My parents both worked, so I had the gathering house and we smoked weed and listened to Zeppelin and Sabbath. I mean, it clearly led to a series of unfortunate but avoidable events. But at the time, it was just the best.

Zep II was my first Zeppelin album and I still have that (unplayable) copy.

View attachment 150270

View attachment 150271View attachment 150272
Ha! Is that a pipe burn!?

Back