September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 12: “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”

I’ve never watched GoT and I don’t know much about Tyrion Lannister (or Peter Dinklage for that matter), but from my research (i.e. reading the wiki) he’s apparently got a sarcastic sense of humour…

Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer

078C8F8B-754E-4B24-92BC-99D60BFBBDB9.jpeg

Still the only FJM album I have so far.

Day 14 - “Radio Head”
Transmitter! Oh! Picking up something good. Hey, radio head! The sound...of a brand-new world.
Play an album by a band that influenced Radiohead or by a band that influenced one of those bands. Or just play something by Radiohead.

R.E.M. - Murmur

Thom's fav by them is actually New Adventures in Hi Fi, but I won't have that one until the reissue comes out soonish.

View attachment 112111

Well look at that, I was just playing my Canadian 1983 copy of this and posted about it in the Definitive Audiophile Pressings thread. Small world.

Also, this is still my favorite REM record. Lots of other great albums, but this one is special.

Day 12 - “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”
The Hand speaks, the Hand of a government man.
You’re hosting Tyrion Lannister for Sunday dinner. Play something he’d like.

Tyrion would be a Tool fan.

Tool ‎– Ænima
Zoo Entertainment/BMG ‎– 72445 11087 1, 1996

DbZ0lS.jpg

bQY3bf.jpg

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”
Mr. Jones is back in town, it's his lucky day. Hold up your hands and shout.
Play an album that features a contribution by someone named Jones.

I played this back in May, but it's still good to get out again. I am lazy and using the images from that challenge.

The Monkees ‎– Head
Rhino Records ‎– R1 528615, 1968/2011

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at RTI

5wgT14.jpg

3M6O9o.jpg

Day 11 - “Heaven. Heaven is a place. A place where nothing. Nothing ever happens.”
There is a party, everyone is there. Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
Ok, you’ve had enough. Play an album that will get any lingering guests to finally leave.

Death - Human

I know @Hemotep already played a Death record, but I just bought this over the weekend and really wanted to listen to it. I think I have two or three friends who would love this, but everyone else would definitely start filtering out including my wife.

05908E9F-FC02-46AD-9B90-7F61AE4FD9AC.jpeg

Day 14 - “Radio Head”
Transmitter! Oh! Picking up something good. Hey, radio head! The sound...of a brand-new world.
Play an album by a band that influenced Radiohead or by a band that influenced one of those bands. Or just play something by Radiohead.

A known album that influenced Jonny and Thom.

Can – Tago Mago
Spoon Records – XSPOON6/7, 1971/2014

Pressed at Rainbo (from Pallas plates)

tUymmj.jpg

5PxykQ.jpg

Day 15 - “Genius Of Love”
And what do you consider fun? Fun, natural fun.
Play a side-project album.

I've had this sitting here for about a week and finally had a reason to give it a spin.

Probably not the most PC of band names these days.

1000 Homo DJs – Supernaut
Cleopatra – CLO 2333, 1990/2021

Limited Edition - includes some bonus tracks

Cut by Kevin Park
Pressed at Microforum Services Group

LmAlcu.jpg

EZFBMj.jpg

1MeWcH.jpg

Last edited:
Day 15 - “Genius Of Love”
And what do you consider fun? Fun, natural fun.
Play a side-project album.

The Power Station "The Power Station 331/3" (1985 Capitol)
This is an excellent opportunity to spin this recent acquisition. The Power Station is the quintessential side-project, combining John Taylor and Andy Taylor from Duran Duran, Bernard Edwards from Chic and crooner Robert Palmer. This album has the honor of being so overplayed by 14 year-old @Turbo that he completely stripped the cassette tape. But he hasn't listened to it much since. It's fun to listen to something so familiar but that I haven't really revisited in 30 years. Like seeing an old high school friend again after all those years.

IMG_1795.JPG

Last edited:
Day 15: “Genius Of Love”
Play a side-project album

The Halo Benders - The Rebels Not In
02D14256-773D-47C2-99D6-49373DC3EC17.jpeg

Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening, Dub Narcotic Soundsystem, K Records fame teams up with Built To Spills main man and unassuming guitar god, Doug Martsch to form a Pac NW Indie Rock super group/fun side project. Calvin’s deep monotonic delivery complements Doug’s more nasally timbre nicely.

Back