September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”

Mr. Jones is back in town, it's his lucky day. Hold up your hands and shout.
Play an album that features a contribution by someone named Jones.

David (Jones) Bowie - Space Oddity (50th Ann. 7in box set)
For those not familiar with his history, David Bowie's real name is David Robert Jones (Bowie was a stage name only, he never legally changed it) but he went by Davy Jones in the 1960s. The problem was there was another Davy Jones (The Monkees) who was very successful. So David Bowie was his first 'persona'.
632C3C9C-93D5-4C9D-A6EA-0E02BD95EFE7.jpeg

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”

The only Jones that matters...

View attachment 111984

Semi-scooped... was going to play a Clash record too, but a different one. I might still do that, but let's see what else I can do for variety.

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”

Grace Jones "Nightclubbing" (1981 Island Records; 2009 reissue)
Alright, if I'm going to pick someone other than Mick, it's going to be Grace. Segue's nicely from @gafacaode 's Iggy Pop selection too.

IMG_1792.JPG

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”

I had to really dig for this challenge, but Phil Jones is a percussionist who played on a few Cracker albums, including Kerosene Hat.
IMG_20210913_184654.jpg

Day 10 - “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)” (aka Dance This Mess Around)
Home is where I want to be. Pick me up and turn me round.
Play something that makes you feel good to be home, dancing alone with a floor lamp (i.e. play something that makes you want to dance even if you’re alone).

B-52s - S/T

B52.jpeg

Day 12 - “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”
The Hand speaks, the Hand of a government man.
You’re hosting Tyrion Lannister for Sunday dinner. Play something he’d like.

I'm skipping the Day 11 clear-the-room album for now. It's just my wife and I having drinks for our birthdays/anniversary month. I know exactly what would send her to her studio with a podcast, I'll play that a different day.

So, for Tyrion Lannister it should be something dark, smart and theatrical...with plenty of imagery. Easy call.
Tom Waits - Blood Money

waits2.jpeg

I'll catch up days 11 and 12 later, although I think I have decent picks for both.

Day 10 - This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)

Bizarrely, this is kinda the only pick I have that fulfills the spirit of the law. I'm generally a sedentary listener and I don't dance. Nevertheless I cannot sit still when the title track comes around. Though it's really just standing up. Thankfully, it's also a very “home… is where I want to be” album as well.

Kate Bush - Aerial

_MG_0919.JPG

Day 13 - Mr Jones

So here's a new one: I think I have to dig for a pick, intentionally avoiding Bowie because it seemed that was a quick way to get scooped. Thankfully, Discogs apparrently searches a release's whole page when you search your collection, and I thought about picking whatever it said was the first thing I added to my collection which involved a Jones, which would've worked - Mondo's Alex North's 2001 A Space Odyssey, the packaging for which was directed for one Rob Jones - but I decided nah, I decided to actually go for something I wanted to listen to in the moment and wound up with one pick. Then later I realize there's a much more obvious pick that I also wanted to listen to, that Discogs didn't show me because I'd not added, since it's technically my dad's. This is all to say, you get a double-bill for today:

The vocal sample for “Honey” is an Alan Lomax recording of one Bessie Jones. The other's pretty self-explanatory.

Moby - Play
Elvin Jones - Mr. Jones

_MG_0921.JPG
_MG_0923.JPG

Day 10 - “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)”
Home is where I want to be. Pick me up and turn me round.
Play something that makes you feel good to be home, dancing alone with a floor lamp (i.e. play something that makes you want to dance even if you’re alone).

Against All Logic - 2012-2017

Some House for dancing around the house.

IMG_20210913_180513228.jpg

Back