September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 11 - “Heaven. Heaven is a place. A place where nothing. Nothing ever happens.”
There is a party, everyone is there. Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
Ok, you’ve had enough. Play an album that will get any lingering guests to finally leave.

This one was mentioned on the first page but I don't reckon most folks are weird enough to actually own it.

I'm weird enough...

Many consider this to be the first industrial noise album. It's kinda hard to argue that - it's definitely industrial in nature and noisy.

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

View attachment 111773
View attachment 111772

I’m still hunting a copy for my collection.

Day 11 - “Heaven. Heaven is a place. A place where nothing. Nothing ever happens.”

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
20210911_211515.jpg

I mean, I wouldn't want to leave with this playing but it did a great job of clearing out the cafe I worked at years ago come closing time!

*now with extra surface noise for your party-clearing purposes!

Day 9 - “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”
Réalisant mon espoir, je me lance vers la gloire, OK.
Play an album with French lyrics or by an artist from Quebec or France. Imaginary bonus brown noser points for a French album by a French-Canadian artist.

This'll do, and goes nicely with my hangover.

brahams.jpeg

Day 12 - “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”
The Hand speaks, the Hand of a government man.
You’re hosting Tyrion Lannister for Sunday dinner. Play something he’d like.
———
I also never watched Game of Thrones. But after reading about Tyrion’s problems with the ladies, this song seemed to be one he could appreciate.

Prince - “Darling Nikki” from “Purple Rain”

822D7EC1-F559-4E30-B477-44B65F44FA7C.jpeg

The Donnas "Gold Medal" (2004 Atlantic; 2020 Real Gone Music reissue)
"What do you want from me, Bronn? Gold? Women? Golden women? Stick with me and you'll have them all."

IMG_1789.JPG

There is a party, everyone is there. Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
Ok, you’ve had enough. Play an album that will get any lingering guests to finally leave.

This is a terrible prompt for a catchup on a Sunday morning with the family lazing around. Over / Under on how far I get through this?

34+ minutes of glorious feedback from Neil. Not on vinyl (yet) but supposedly in the box set for Weld coming out soonish.

1631464645121.png

Hilary Hahn – Paris
I imagine a well read fella like Tyrion would enjoy some nice classical tunes.
IMG-2005.jpg

Bruce Foxton - Freak 7in

I will preface this with saying I don't think Peter Dinklage is a freak, but I think a lot of what shaped Tyrion Lannister was how others saw him and how he saw himself.

A terrible 7in from Bruce Foxton, bass player from The Jam. I probably have not played this in 30 years. I won’t put a link to the YouTube video, you will thank me.
6ADE29A9-7242-416C-9C37-BDC58C619A57.jpeg

I think he'd appreciate the humor in this choice.

John Powell ~ How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack

1631478010379.png

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill

I'm jumping into the challenge very late (and I'll have to go through 20 pages to see what's been played) due to a couple rough weeks ending in a family funeral yesterday, but I'll see if I can get caught up!

I think Tyrion would appreciate the blend of soft melancholy and ramshackle aggression this album offers.

IMG_20210912_153750463_HDR.jpg

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill

I'm jumping into the challenge very late (and I'll have to go through 20 pages to see what's been played) due to a couple rough weeks ending in a family funeral yesterday, but I'll see if I can get caught up!

I think Tyrion would appreciate the blend of soft melancholy and ramshackle aggression this album offers.

View attachment 111927

First off, sorry to hear about your loss.

It's great you could make it to the challenge! The end of summer brought a lot of people in here this month (32 so far, by my last count), but I think the challenges are broad enough I'm sure you'll catch up.

Metallica - Metallica

Half my friends will leave because I'm playing their soft sell out album, the other half because I was raised in a religion where this is heavy devil music.

IMG_20210912_171448311_HDR.jpg

I only watched the first two seasons, but I feel like he had a good sense of humor and would like this album.

Goblin Cock - Come With Me If You Want To Live
IMG_20210912_214722.jpg

Day 13 - “Mr. Jones”
Mr. Jones is back in town, it's his lucky day. Hold up your hands and shout.
Play an album that features a contribution by someone named Jones.

The last Flaming Lips album to feature Ronald Jones on guitar.

Flaming Lips ~ Clouds Taste Metallic

1631549682767.png

If you've got an hour or so to spare, this video of them in 1996 on the Clouds Taste Metallic tour is great. Lo-Fi, but super effective, approach to the high tech spectacle the lips are today.

Back