September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 18 - “Swamp”

From the Allmusic page:

"Legend has it that a Welsh prince called Madoc discovered the Americas in 1170, some three hundred years prior to Christopher Columbus. Legend also says Madoc and his men mated with Native Americans, thereby creating a Welsh Indian tribe whose existence belongs to myth. Such a tale is ideal for Gruff Rhys, the Welsh psychedelic pop artist who has specialized in eccentricity from his very first recording with Super Furry Animals. American Interiorcaptures Rhys' own attempt to retrace the footsteps of explorer John Evans, who set out in the 1790s to find the lost Welsh-speaking tribe. Evans didn't find the tribe and for Rhys the journey itself is the destination, a journey he chronicled in a film, in a book, and in this concept album. As a record, American Interior hits a sweet spot between his lush art rock with SFA and his arch conceptual works released under the Neon Neon moniker."

Gruff Rhys - American Interior

CF744E67-1920-4420-9AC4-95AAB20F9C6D.jpegCA761FC3-37C2-4697-9DEB-A3F876A4A434.jpeg

I definitely wouldn’t consider this a disco record, but there’s for sure plenty of disco drum beats on this thing.

I wanted to keep the challenge open to "non-disco" records by mentioning the beat itself. While disco itself was the low hanging fruit, I intended the challenge to be open to anything with the four-on-the-floor beat. So you were well within my intent!

Day 17 - “Life During Wartime”
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, This ain't no fooling around.
To hell with that. It’s Friday! Time for fooling around with that four on the floor disco beat!
This is the closest I have to Disco....

You need to get some disco in your collection!!

Day 18 - “Swamp”

Now let me tell you a story. The Devil has a plan.
Play an album with an overarching story.

Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath (CULT)

I'm slightly cheating on this one because I don't have an original copy of the album. They recently put out a box set with the original in it, but it was still pretty pricey and I haven't bit on it yet. This compilation has most of the album on it and had tided me over in the meantime.

Via Wikipedia:
On the back cover is a text story, "The Story of Simon Simopath: A Science Fiction Pantomime", which links the song titles. It deals with a boy named Simon Simopath who dreams of having wings.[3] He is lonely,[4] and after reaching adulthood goes to work in a "computer office block".[5] He suffers a nervous breakdown and is unable to find help in a mental institution, but gets aboard a rocket and meets a centaur who will be his friend and a tiny goddess named Magdalena, who works at Pentecost Hotel. Simon and Magdalena fall in love and get married, followed by a jazzy party.

The title of the album is a possible reference to William Burroughs' novel Naked Lunch, which coins the word to describe several escapees from a mental institution. In this context, the word refers to 'a citizen convinced he is an ape or other citizen'.

IMG_20210918_180859.jpg

Day 16 – “Happy Day”
Oh, happy day, happy day. I'll never be the same. Forever I am changed.
“Talking Heads: 77” was released 44 years ago today. Play a notable debut album

Violent Femmes - S/T

The Cars and The Doors debuts are among my very favorites, but my wife requested this one and since those other two have been played I rolled with it…and yeah, it’s a damn fine debut.

20210918_183613.jpg

Day 16 – “Happy Day”
Oh, happy day, happy day. I'll never be the same. Forever I am changed.
“Talking Heads: 77” was released 44 years ago today. Play a notable debut album

Violent Femmes - S/T

The Cars and The Doors debuts are among my very favorites, but my wife requested this one and since those other two have been played I rolled with it…and yeah, it’s a damn fine debut.

View attachment 112628

Your wife has exquisite taste!

Day 17 - “Life During Wartime”
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, This ain't no fooling around.
To hell with that. It’s Friday! Time for fooling around with that four on the floor disco beat!

Various – Soul Cal: Disco & Modern Soul Masterpieces

Masterpieces is a stretch, but it’s a nice summer night on the patio record.

20210918_191520.jpg5EF06354-014F-4418-8881-3B1FCBB9CC1C.jpeg

Day 19 - “Warning Sign”
Warning sign, warning sign, I see it but pay it no mind.
Play an album that contains foul language.

Contrary to what you may have heard, I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch...

Misfits - S/T

View attachment 112645

Hahahaha! Right there on American Bandstand. That's one hell of an unbelievable juxtaposition! Can't believe it wasn't cut to commercial after the first verse haha.

Day 19 - “Warning Sign”
Warning sign, warning sign, I see it but pay it no mind.
Play an album that contains foul language.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

IMG_20210919_115935.jpg

"Windows"

Eight 2-15's? Alright
Alright, man, just to let you know, I've been dicked around before, alright

I know, man, I've just been fucked around before, alright
I've got sixty bucks, that's it, I told you I've got sixty bucks
I've got sixty bucks, that's it, that's all I have, that's the last of my money

Back