September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 18 - “Swamp”
Now let me tell you a story. The Devil has a plan.
Play an album with an overarching story.

Yo La Tengo - Tom Courtenay (1995 Matador)

Not sure what exactly overarching story is but I think it is about a person who spends all day watching movies and probably getting high.

View attachment 112546

I was referring more to a type of concept album where the songs tie together to tell a single story. But I know what you're doing this month, so no worries about tying the story to a single song.

I was referring more to a type of concept album where the songs tie together to tell a single story. But I know what you're doing this month, so no worries about tying the story to a single song.
You know how hard it is to find a concept single? I literally had to think about this one all month long and this is the best I can do.

Day 18 - “Swamp”

An ambitious album documenting the last free radio broadcast before the government takes total control.

I saw Shooter perform many of these songs live a full year before the release of this record. It was an absolute blast seeing the abject horror on the faces of many in attendance. This is a really brave record coming from the son of Waylon Jennings and considering his fanbase at the time. It's just as much Radiohead and Pink Floyd influenced as it is outlaw country.

Old time fans couldn't decide whether to scrape the cow shit off their boots and throw it or smoke it. One of my favorite shows I've ever taped...

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons

20200722_235739.jpg

Day 17 - “Life During Wartime”
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, This ain't no fooling around.
To hell with that. It’s Friday! Time for fooling around with that four on the floor disco beat!

MFSB - Love is the Message

I definitely wouldn’t consider this a disco record, but there’s for sure plenty of disco drum beats on this thing.

FD07102D-23A1-4BAA-9F46-FE460F89A1A4.jpeg

Day 18 - “Swamp”

An ambitious album documenting the last free radio broadcast before the government takes total control.

I saw Shooter perform many of these songs live a full year before the release of this record. It was an absolute blast seeing the abject horror on the faces of many in attendance. This is a really brave record coming from the son of Waylon Jennings and considering his fanbase at the time. It's just as much Radiohead and Pink Floyd influenced as it is outlaw country.

Old time fans couldn't decide whether to scrape the cow shit off their boots and throw it or smoke it. One of my favorite shows I've ever taped...

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons

View attachment 112547

I remember this coming out, but never listened to it. About half way through streaming it and it's going to the top of my list to pick up next. The cover art is amazing and so far I'm blown away by the music.

To hell with that. It’s Friday! Time for fooling around with that four on the floor disco beat!
———

“The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of ‘Thank God It’s Friday’”

6A2796B6-6840-41B7-A48C-D72564896C49.jpeg

Day 18: “Swamp”

Fucked Up - David Comes To Life
2D0B3AAD-A47E-45C0-8400-EB8AED4B2F23.jpeg
Just your normal tale of boy who falls in love a terrorist, the couple attempts to blow up a dystopian lightbulb factory only for the plan to go tragically awry resulting in girls death. Boy blames himself until someone informs the boy that he is actually apart of a story being told by a narrator and that it’s actually the narrator fault that his lover is now dead…..it gets more diluted and incomprehensible from there but the songs are amazing and they do provide an easy to follow write up of the storyline for those who are so inclined .
E59C32B5-BA0D-47AF-8B4E-3A1DC2A9A51C.jpeg
Also, this wasn’t planned but I am hitting it hard with Canadian bands this month.

Day 18 - “Swamp”

Surprised I got this on before @avecigrec !

Just celebrated it's 20th anniversary, based on Lynyrd Skynyrd, a little bit of Neil Young, and growing up in the south.

Everyone said that when the ambulance came
The paramedics could hear "Free Bird" still playing on the stereo.
You know it's a very long song.

Drive~By Truckers ~ Southern Rock Opera

1631985838670.png

Day 18 - “Swamp”

The Coral "Coral Island" (2021 Modern Sky Records)
For this challenge, I'm returning to one of my top 2021 records. Coral Island is a double LP with classic sounding psych-pop, infectious songwriting and an overarching theme. LP1, called "Welcome To Coral Island", is about carefree summers at seaside resort towns while LP2, called "The Ghost Of Coral Island" is about the melancholy those resort towns during the off season. In honor of @jamieanderson1968, I'm also spinning the bonus 7" which has an overarching story of its own, focusing on a disaster that occurred at an attraction.

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Glass Candy "B/E/A/T/B/O/X" (2007 Italians Do It Better; 2015 remaster)

View attachment 112469

I'm joining @Turbo on Italians Do It Better dancefloor.
It feels weird playing this album in the middle of the afternoon, though.

Various - After Dark 2
0015483F-C995-4BE1-B57B-462835F9FCCB.jpeg

Back