September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 24: 2010-2020

Caught these guys back in 2016 at a local radio stations christmas concert (Also had Bishop Briggs, Local Natives, Band of Horses, and Beck - was an excellent night). Wasn't familiar with them at all, but they definitely caught my eye (and ear) that night. The new album has also become a favorite of my teen/20 something kids, so its a great connecting point. New album is really enjoyable - quite a bit of depth to it and lots of earworms.

Given the lack of touring, I've been ordering pre-release exclusives from the artists as a way to give some income back to them. I like the look of this one, except the label is way too small for my older eyes to see what is side A and what is Side B.

Glass Animals ~ Dreamland

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

Apologies. I've been rather busy the past month. Only a few days to get caught up!

Day 1: “Moby Dick” - it’s all about the beat , records to showcase the drummer

The Roots ‎– Phrenology

Questlove for the drums...

View attachment 67475

If you catch up in full there will definitely be a Gav-la in it for you

Day 24: Great albums from 2010-2020

Robyn "Body Talk" (2010 Konichiwa Records, RSD2019 version)

Lots of of excellent records over the decade. It came down to playing this or Daft Punk, because I'm in that kind of mood this afternoon. I chose this one for no particular reason. Maybe I play R.A.M. after anyway.

IMG_0855.JPG

Day 24: 2010...2020..- great albums from the last 10 years for the young folk
Blake Mills - Heigh Ho
B3870423-9E76-4F52-8B0C-9615544BA868.jpeg

Released in 2014 but I just got wise to him this year upon the release of AOTY contender Mutable Set. Mills first full length was released in 2010 so he truly an artist of the past decade. Mills is both a studio wunderkind and about as unassuming a guitar virtuoso as there is going today (He is kinda the anti-John Mayer in that regard). I can’t sing his praises loud enough and is definitely worth checking out if you have not done so yet.

Here is his collaboration with Fiona Apple.

...and here is a video of him discussing guitar theory with another guitar great Matt Sweeney.

Day 4: “And now for something completely different..” ..any Record you like but with a piece of music related memorabilia to accompany it ...a gig ticket, book, t shirt , poster, funkopops.. what’s lurking out there ..autographs? Elvis’s Cadillac..yellow submarine ....

Can't wait to go to live shows again. Not much of a t-shirt or trinket collector, but I always try to get autographs after the show and I take a bunch of pictures.

Here's one of the last shows I got to see...

Mannequin Pussy ‎– Patience

Mannequin Pussy

Mannequin Pussy

The whole band signed the vinyl, too!

Signed_Vinyl

Day 5: “Box Set Weekend pt 1” - Pick one of those big box sets we never get round to playing and finally play stuff from it today....

Gorillaz ‎– The Now Now

Deluxe 12” x 12” rigid board box set, with a lenticular image on lid.

Contents:
- Exclusive heavyweight blue vinyl 12” LP housed in spined cover with printed inner sleeve
- 52-page booklet, replicating 2D’s original studio notebook including album lyrics
- 4 art prints size 12” x 12”
- 6 pin badges size 1” mounted on card
- Download card
- Opaque Round Hype Sticker on Shrink Wrap

IMG_20200924_133921.jpg
IMG_20200924_134142.jpg

Day 4: “And now for something completely different..” ..any Record you like but with a piece of music related memorabilia to accompany it ...a gig ticket, book, t shirt , poster, funkopops.. what’s lurking out there ..autographs? Elvis’s Cadillac..yellow submarine ....

Can't wait to go to live shows again. Not much of a t-shirt or trinket collector, but I always try to get autographs after the show and I take a bunch of pictures.

Here's one of the last shows I got to see...

Mannequin Pussy ‎– Patience

View attachment 67490

View attachment 67493

The whole band signed the vinyl, too!

View attachment 67499
That must have been a great show. Drunk II is one of the best fucking songs! and I'm sure I've lost a bit of my hearing to it. :) The tension between the music and the lyrics/sentiment is just so goddamn perfect.

Do you remember the night
I called you up
I was so fucked up
I forgot we were broken up
I still love you
You stupid fuck

Day 6: “Box Set Weekend pt 2”...and tomorrow ..choose another if you made a bad choice yesterday.

The White Stripes ‎– The White Stripes XX

Third Man Records Vault #42

* Presented in a hardcover foil-stamped hinged "soft-touch" packaging.
* Includes an 11.75" x 11.75" 44 page archival book containing previously unknown photos, flyers, lyrics, ephemera, insight, and context.
* Self-Titled LP Outtakes - Alternate takes and previously unreleased tracks from the White Stripes' self-titled debut album, mixed by Jack White at Third Man Studio in Nashville, TN.
* "Live At The Ritz - Raleigh, NC - 09/26/99" LP - Previously unheard bombastic soundboard recording of Jack and Meg on their first-ever tour, opening for Pavement.
* "Live At Paycheck's - Hamtramck, MI - 03/13/99" & "Live At The Magic Stick - Detroit, MI - 05/30/99" DVD - Previously unseen footage of the band at two pivotal hometown live performances, raw and edgy and everything that early converts would come to know and love from the duo at their incendiary club gigs.

IMG_20200924_162153 (1).jpg
IMG_20200924_162010.jpg

Day 24: 2010...2020..- great albums from the last 10 years for the young folk

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
ca. 2013

This is the album took me from a casual admirer to a true fan of QOTSA...it might have been the only thing I listened to for 3-6 months after it was released.

20200924_153252.jpg

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat” - lets see how far my hometown bands have travelled..anywhere from the Midlands U.K. will do. (Or U.K. if you struggle with the accent) ..hint.. SabbathDuran etc

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard ‎– Yn Ol I Annwn

From Wrexham, North Wales, a mere stone's throw from Birmingham.

IMG_20200924_170207.jpg

Day 24 - Doin' it for the kids

Had a bit of tough time on this. A lot of my collection is 20th century. Even newer releases tend to be by established artists (Bowie, Tortoise, Yo La Tengo etc). Settled on this one
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes ‎– What Kinda Music
While Yussef Dayes is familiar to me, Tom Misch is totally new to me. This is one of my faves for 2020. Trip-hoppy soul-jazz with a great cover.
IMG_0585.jpg

Back