September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 2: Debuts - those that got it right straight out of the box

Big Star "#1 Record" (1972 Ardent Records, 2020 Craft Recordings Reissue)

Well, this debut is a classic, definitely knocks it right out of the park and was incredibly influential. One of the songs even managed to be covered as the title track of a long lasting television show.

IMG_0757.JPG

Day 2: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box

Oh, was about to post Big Star too...

Okay, then, let's go Scandi again!

This hit me hard in 1996. The sheer breadth of what went on with this album took me by surprise. I was an indie kid and it opened my ears to a broader palette of rock history. And they were so cool! Their attitude was very in the face of a lot of what went on in popular culture at that time, at least in Norway and Scandinavia. Ebbott was the greatest band leader in his kaftan and the other guys had such an aura around them too.

I went to their first show in Norway in a small club with a 250 capacity and just a few years later they toured stadiums and concert halls around the world!

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Welcome To The Infant Freebase (Telegram, 1996 - but this is the recent reissue)

TSOOL.jpg

Day 2: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box

Janelle Monáe - The Archandroid

I wasn't sure whether to do this one or her debut E.P., but I went for debut album. Right away, Janelle Monáe came out the gate with her sci-fi Cindy Mayweather persona, a crew of talented collaborators, and a bundle of ideas and styles that make the almost-70-minutes of this album feel like it's bursting at the seams. We now know she can act, too, but it's not so surprising when you revisit this supremely assured debut and the way she crafted such a cool, stylish, and affecting persona in her music and performances.

Capture+_2020-09-02-09-41-21.png

Day 03: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box
The Strokes - Is This It
2F3B11E2-62F9-4A04-825F-F61DE21F6975.jpeg

A debut that lived up to the hype.

I really wanted to include the “Someday” music video where the Strokes battled GBV in a Richard Karn hosted episode of Family Feud but apparently that has unfortunately been wiped from the internet.

Day 03: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box
The Strokes - Is This It
View attachment 64342

A debut that lived up to the hype.

I really wanted to include the “Someday” music video where the Strokes battled GBV in a Richard Karn hosted episode of Family Feud but apparently that has unfortunately been wiped from the internet.

Most excellent choice

Back