September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 1: “Moby Dick” - it’s all about the beat , records to showcase the drummer

Art Blakey and the Jazzmessengers Big Band - Live at Montreux and Northsea

Back on the challenge thread grind after a month off. In 1980 Art Blakey toured with an 11 piece featuring a young Wynton Marsalis and Kevin Eubanks of future Tonight Show band leader fame. The first track serves as a showcase for almost everyone with Art coming in to solo around the 11:10 minute mark below.

IMG_20200901_155718.jpg

Day 1 - Moby Dick

Spencer James Cobrin giving a tremendous performance on this album. He elevates all the material with his thunderous clattering. Then he left Morrissey’s band to become an actor. Wish he did more.563662A2-FB0F-45E1-A147-112C28706627.jpeg But his killer drumming will live forever.

Day 1 - Moby Dick

Spencer James Cobrin giving a tremendous performance on this album. He elevates all the material with his thunderous clattering. Then he left Morrissey’s band to become an actor. Wish he did more.View attachment 64187 But his killer drumming will live forever.

Super choice ..The Operation is a great track ...that was a great band for Mozza ..well done to you

Winner of the second Gav-la @Murfocakes the shameless sucking up by posting a Morrissey record Gav-la 👏🏻

WTF! Do you not own Leviathan!?!! The theme is “Moby Dick” and the album is about Moby Dick and you chose Crack The Skye instead.

...I was gonna choose Leviathan.
Hahaha, I don't actually own Leviathan! I love that record but I haven't felt the need to upgrade from my CD copy of that. CTS is my favourite Mastodon album and I'll take any excuse to spin it.

And then you didn't even play Leviathan!

Clifford Brown And Max Roach - S/T (Emarcy, 1954 First 10" Pressing)

Brought out the big guns to start off. Max Roach kills it on this, such fantastic playing. This minty copy was once owned by the major record producer, Tony Hall (he was the first to record Tubby Hayes, signed Black Sabbath to Vertigo, was one of the first promoters for Decca). I picked this up recently as part of a collection from the estate of Tony Hall, and it really does sound incredible!

IMG_1786.JPG

My buddies and I heard "Walk of Life" on the radio in three separate places during a camping trip once, so it's now our official camping song.
It’s always played on classic rock, absolute rock etc ..and Dire Straits did loads of good stuff but they always play ...that ...feckin....song (or Glory Days by Springsteen..another one I can’t stomach)

A bit obscure perhaps, but Motorpsycho is a fantastic Norwegian rock band still going strong after some 32 years. Their first drummer, Håkon Gebhardt, was a great guy and really could hit that battery pretty hard!

Album is their 3LP mastodon from 1994: Timothy's Monster

Timothy.jpg

A bit obscure perhaps, but Motorpsycho is a fantastic Norwegian rock band still going strong after some 32 years. Their first drummer, Håkon Gebhardt, was a great guy and really could hit that battery pretty hard!

Album is their 3LP mastodon from 1994: Timothy's Monster

View attachment 64197
Nice one @espendo ...that’s more like it ...banished the walk of life ..thank the lord

Day 1 - Moby Dick / drummer

The National - High Violet

7FA89FB6-6897-4BE5-97D2-8BE943F9A6F4.jpegBryan Devendorf is one hell of a drummer. I’d say even if you’re not a fan of the National because of Matt’s voice that you should give them a listen for their fantastic rhythm section. Anyhow, High Violet features some fantastic drumming, and I’m especially a fan of this version of Terrible Love:

Back