September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 1 - Moby Dick / drummer

The National - High Violet

View attachment 64206Bryan Devendorf is one hell of a drummer. I’d say even if you’re not a fan of the National because of Matt’s voice that you should give them a listen for their fantastic rhythm section. Anyhow, High Violet features some fantastic drumming, and I’m especially a fan of this version of Terrible Love:

You beat me to it. Was going to spin something by The National to highlight Bryan's talent. They are one of my top bands - had plans to see at least 7 shows this year before everything got shut down :( My 40th National show was supposed to be in Ireland, I'm so sad.

ETA: Meant to add this link The National’s Bryan Devendorf - Modern Drummer Magazine

Day 1: “Moby Dick” - it’s all about the beat , records to showcase the drummer

King Crimson - Red
Featuring the amazing and incomparable Bill Bruford.

I absolutely love BB's body of work. Power, grace, creativity, musicality, it's all there. One of the all-time greats imo.

As a long time player and enthusiast I love that this challenge started with a shout-out to drummers, thanks for running it @Gavaxeman and thanks for this kickoff!

I was already considering focusing on drummers for one of these challenges, so I will do that this month if I can.

20200901_175711.jpg

His opening bits here are a good example of his creativity and power, and it's just so fun to listen to him play.

Let's go off the beaten path here. Mostly because my collection is full of flowery singer song writers.

While the band does feature Emily Haines' beautiful and driving voice, I'd argue that
Joules Scott Key's drums really set the pace for one of my favorite albums ever. Right from Help I'm Alive to Stadium Love it's a constant, impending presence driving the work forward.

Metric - Fantasies

IMG_20200901_203611.jpg

The Dodos - Visiter
I really like drummers in guitar/drum duos because it leaves them very exposed and the drums get a more central role in establishing the tone of the music rather than just the rhythmic backbone. Meric Long’s interest in polyrhythms combined with Logan Kroeber’s experiences as a progressive metal drummer resulting in some really great, energetic songs on this album.

B0E71E1E-5E98-4B8A-A730-F75C1A263ACB.jpeg

Day 2: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box

A prime example of getting it both totally right and totally wrong out of the gate.

Totally right in that there was absolutely nothing else in 1985 that dared bury pop hooks underneath a wall of distortion and white noise. Totally original.

Totally wrong in that there was absolutely nothing else in 1985 that dared bury pop hooks underneath a wall of distortion and white noise. Commercial suicide. Which is actually right.

One of my epiphany records from one of my favorite bands...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

20200207_234305.jpg

Last edited:

Jackson Browne – Jackson Browne (commonly referred to as Saturate Before Using)

Jackson Browne was 23 when he hit the ground running with his debut album. A singer-songwriter with a romantic bent and a tendency toward poetic expression of relatable angst, he helped set the pace for the Laurel Canyon movement of the 70s. ‘Doctor my Eyes’ was the single from this record that received a lot of radio play at the time, but the entire album is a classic.

Sept2.jpg

King Crimson - Red
Featuring the amazing and incomparable Bill Bruford.

I absolutely love BB's body of work. Power, grace, creativity, musicality, it's all there. One of the all-time greats imo.

As a long time player and enthusiast I love that this challenge started with a shout-out to drummers, thanks for running it @Gavaxeman and thanks for this kickoff!

I was already considering focusing on drummers for one of these challenges, so I will do that this month if I can.

View attachment 64217

His opening bits here are a good example of his creativity and power, and it's just so fun to listen to him play.

Your welcome , and you can spin the daily themes to an overall theme for you anyway you want ....🧠

A prime example of getting it both totally right and totally wrong out of the gate.

Totally right in that there was absolutely nothing else in 1985 that dared bury pop hooks underneath a wall of distortion and white noise. Totally original.

Totally wrong in that there was absolutely nothing else in 1985 that dared bury pop hooks underneath a wall of distortion and white noise. Commercial suicide. Which is actually right.

One of my epiphany records from one of my favorite bands...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

View attachment 64265

That’s a good one !

As much as I really want to spam @Gavaxeman challenge thread with Dire Straits repeatedly, I’ll take a ‘walk of life’ down ‘telegraph road’ and opt for something else for the debut album...

This record is unarguably a great debut album, and a seminal hip-hop album that launched my favourite hip-hop artist in Q-Tip.

To top it off, the cover and pressing on this is excellent.

740EB52E-0A66-44DB-9DAD-82499AFFD7E3.jpeg

Michael Kiwanuka "Home again"

A really strong and beautiful debut album. ❤️
After having been support for Adele during her 2011 tour, Kiwanuka released his debut studio album, Home Again, in 2012 to positive reviews from critics. The album peaked at number 4 in the UK and, as of 2012, has sold over 70,000 copies in the UK.

IMG_20200902_102949.jpg

As much as I really want to spam @Gavaxeman challenge thread with Dire Straits repeatedly, I’ll take a ‘walk of life’ down ‘telegraph road’ and opt for something else for the debut album...

This record is unarguably a great debut album, and a seminal hip-hop album that launched my favourite hip-hop artist in Q-Tip.

To top it off, the cover and pressing on this is excellent.

View attachment 64276
Thank the lord

Back