September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 16: “Born in the USA”- records by artists from the ...USA.

There's so many choices. So we're not only going to go with an artist from my home country, she also places the country in the album name and two of the songs. Never need a reason to re-visit Margo Price but I'll take the invite today

Margo Price - All American Made

IMG_20200916_130431.jpg

Day 15:”Holiday”- thanks to Covid 19 canceling my hols, this is as close as I will get ...records about travel

Ok, so this record isn't about travel. But we had three vacations planned in Michigan this year, and two of them melted down due to Covid. Happy to say the third is still scheduled though, a roadtrip to the UP in October!

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."

20200916_171616.jpg

Day 16: Born In the USA

Being from the US wasn't as big of a deal with Dio replacing Ozzy in Black Sabbath...it was his height. Manager Don Arden didn't want him fronting Sabbath because he was too short....they fired him as their manager and kept Dio.

Sabbath at the time wasn't all that good with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die being the last 2 Ozzy albums, the Dio albums were kind of a resurgence for fans of Sabbath.

Dio ‎– Dream Evil
Warner Bros. Records ‎– W1-25612, 1987

Columbia House record club pressing

Pressed at Columbia, Carrollton, GA

MYbxmY.jpg

x7iaxP.jpg

Day 17 - Fab 4(th) - a couple of hours early
Perfect name for today (tomorrow). I think Mac (Ian, not Paul) would say Echo & The Bunnymen are the best band from Liverpool. There are also 4 members of the band and it is their 4th record. (fun fact, Echo was the name of their drum machine before Pete De Freitas joined) I had the good fortune to see them on this tour and it was amazing. Also saw them a few years ago performing this in its entirety, but sadly Ian's voice is no where near as strong as it was in the 80s.
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
IMG_0580.jpg

Day 17: “Fab Four”- Make or break time ..those bands that reached the 4th album ..play album number 4 or IV.

Hop Along – Bark Your Head Off, Dog
This is Hop Along’s fourth and most current album. They really hit their stride with this one, and man, they put on a hell of a live show when I saw them in a small venue touring for this release. Terrific musicians, and there isn’t much that needs to be said about Frances Quinlan—but fun fact, Hop Along’s drummer is her brother, Mark Quinlan, and he’s fantastic.
Sept17.jpg

This album has one of the greatest lines ever about ending a relationship. I don’t even know exactly what facet of the relationship she’s referring to, and it doesn’t matter, because the line so perfectly encapsulates it’s ending: “Don’t worry, we will both find out, just not together.” (Yeah, I know, this falls really flat here, but trust me, it’s a gut-punch as it becomes the centerpiece for the song. [Video below.])

If you’re a Frances Quinlan fan and you haven’t seen this video, enjoy!

And here’s a brief video clip from their show:

Last edited:
Day 16: Born In the USA

Being from the US wasn't as big of a deal with Dio replacing Ozzy in Black Sabbath...it was his height. Manager Don Arden didn't want him fronting Sabbath because he was too short....they fired him as their manager and kept Dio.

Sabbath at the time wasn't all that good with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die being the last 2 Ozzy albums, the Dio albums were kind of a resurgence for fans of Sabbath.

Dio ‎– Dream Evil
Warner Bros. Records ‎– W1-25612, 1987

Columbia House record club pressing

Pressed at Columbia, Carrollton, GA

MYbxmY.jpg

x7iaxP.jpg

A Gav-la to @LeeVing for bringing the Ronnie🤘

Day 17 - Fab 4(th) - a couple of hours early
Perfect name for today (tomorrow). I think Mac (Ian, not Paul) would say Echo & The Bunnymen are the best band from Liverpool. There are also 4 members of the band and it is their 4th record. (fun fact, Echo was the name of their drum machine before Pete De Freitas joined) I had the good fortune to see them on this tour and it was amazing. Also saw them a few years ago performing this in its entirety, but sadly Ian's voice is no where near as strong as it was in the 80s.
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
View attachment 66497

I saw them on that tour with a mini orchestra too..great gig ..I also saw Mac solo doing an acoustic set where he spent more time doing impressions and drinking whisky than singing ..but it was a great gig ..very funny 😂

A Gav-la to @jamieanderson1968 for immaculate taste🥃

Day 17: “Fab Four”

I ordered this back on Day 12, as I need some Parliament funk in my life. It wasn't what I had planned for today, but as I was getting ready to play it tonight I saw it was their 4th album.

This reissue had the lenticular cover, but was barely hanging on with the 2 dollops of glue, so I removed it.

Parliament ‎– Mothership Connection
Casablanca/Republic Records/UMe ‎– B0022994-01, 1975/2015

Pressed at RTI

2jCsfW.jpg

Wc7XW5.jpg

This was also shipped via UPS from Amazon in a thin paper packaging that had very minimal padding...I was shocked it survived.

Back