Secretly Society

uv62N541abDaViYMEVTKeJaFSyP-WU3-81RsbXoVsgBzhPGXsGkw6vnqckM3eNzHKJSApFanejqM5BVEQeD7h25fH1odruezk8x791zl61vHR5lBJlnFYDg5aicXlITTE6v0a6B4urUqKB5RoaQywBLXhmDaDwzinqHIOQ=s0-d-e1-ft

The tenth volume of Numero’s elaborately packaged Cabinet of Curiosities series, L80s finds the group exploring the far-flung corners of the global downtempo underground. This 12-song mix tape weaves icy hot coldwave, Sausalito seafood jazz, Glaswegian goth, makeshift Madonna, Sade spoofs, and Brat Pack balearic into a high-waisted, party-ready pair of danceable denim.

Nyl-B_nC-PIDyUubZ7BDEsYXBSYzW_hMFaOChw_SRXlxJ4HOyOTKLf2FWnzfn3TIf2-eCuniu-HEiVKDdeJtNPvz-UFsoZYfXqi1CjocSwlr1ZmBsp9qWMN8TwO8Ah1d7tWiu8pIT36jp__GUt8_9JHdbc3CVrH4VlkIUA=s0-d-e1-ft

The first album in over six years from American songwriter Julie Byrne is a testament to patience and determination, the willingness to transform through the desolation of loss, the vitality of renewal, and the courage to rise, forever changed. For nearly a decade, Byrne has moved through the world as a characteristically private artist largely outside the public eye. A self-taught musician that has committed her life to her work, she now emerges from a deeply trying and generative period with the most powerful, lustrous, and life-affirming music of her career, The Greater Wings. While they hold the plasticity of grief and trauma, the songs are universally resonant, unbridled in their devotion and joy, held up by the love and alliance of a chosen family. Byrne leans further into atmospheres both expansive and intimate; the lush, evocative songcraft flows between her signature fingerpicked guitar, synthesizer, and a newly adopted piano, made wider by flourishes of harp and strings. It is the transcendent sound of resource, of friendship that was never without romance, of loyalty that burns from within like a heart on fire, and the life force summoned in unrepeatable moments — raw, gorgeous, and wild.

Someone tell me how to feel about these two albums. :)
The Numero stuff is always… interesting? I feel like they have sort of their own niche audience and it never made a ton of sense rolling them in. But it seems kinda weird in a fun way this time around, so I’ll reserve judgment.

People are pretty jazzed about the Julie Byrne thing though. I need to check her out as well.

Wasn't huge on their first album. Will check out the singles.
Overall I thought it was a decent album but not one of my favorite albums of 2021 but not one of the worst albums of 2021 either. My main problem with the album is that half of the songs are under 3 minutes. At this point I'm not sure I want the album until I hear more singles as I'm sure other things will be announced soon that I want more.

Overall I thought it was a decent album but not one of my favorite albums of 2021 but not one of the worst albums of 2021 either. My main problem with the album is that half of the songs are under 3 minutes. At this point I'm not sure I want the album until I hear more singles as I'm sure other things will be announced soon that I want more.

Yea. It came out before I joined SS but it's $14 on Discogs and I haven't picked it up... fine, but not super memorable IMO.

Back