Secretly Society

Angel Olsen - Big Time (Jagjaguwar)
on Clear Blue/Pink Splatter 2xLP vinyl
Big Time is an album about the expansive power of new love, but this brightness and optimism is tempered by a profound and layered sense of loss. During Olsen’s process of coming to terms with her queerness and confronting the traumas that had been keeping her from fully accepting herself, she felt it was time to come out to her parents, a hurdle she’d been avoiding for some time. “Finally, at the ripe age of 34, I was free to be me,” she said. Three days later, her father died and shortly after her mother passed away. The shards of this grief—the shortening of her chance to finally be seen more fully by her parents—are scattered throughout the album.

I am going to sign up for a three month subscription. I had already ordered the radioactive variant of hatchies and I saw that angel Olsens album was the june album. After doing some math I discovered it would be cheaper to get a three month membership than to buy each record separately. Getting a different variant of big time elsewhere wouldn't save me any money. I'm going to skip mays album hope that i will enjoy July's album more. I'm planning on canceling after my three months are up. I wasn't wanting a subscription but this is the cheapest way to get both albums.

Are there any good things to swap for in the store? I signed up primarily for April and June's releases and don't really want May's release. It has to be a secretly membership release not something like the new porridge radio album coming out.
I'm trying to decide if it's better to skip a month or swap for something in May. I am only keeping the membership for three months and then cancel it. I don't hate mays release but not something I'm dying to own. I looked at past rotm releases but I didn't see much that interested me. Unless there is something good that you think I should swap for I'm going to take a chance and hope that I will like July's release better than May's release. When will they announce July's release?

Are there any good things to swap for in the store? I signed up primarily for April and June's releases and don't really want May's release. It has to be a secretly membership release not something like the new porridge radio album coming out.
I'm trying to decide if it's better to skip a month or swap for something in May. I am only keeping the membership for three months and then cancel it. I don't hate mays release but not something I'm dying to own. I looked at past rotm releases but I didn't see much that interested me. Unless there is something good that you think I should swap for I'm going to take a chance and hope that I will like July's release better than May's release. When will they announce July's release?

You used to be able to swap for anything in the store but last year they started to enforce swapping for only past albums of the month. You’re best bet is to probably keep skipping until there is a release that you’ll like.

Also FWIW, the upgrades/renewals at the old price end today (3/31). So if you’re jumping for the previous cheaper price, do it today. Tomorrow the price change goes into effect.

In case it’s not clear to you (it wasn’t to me) there’s an upgrade button if you log into your account to change from (for example) a 3-mo to an annual.

Last edited:
Also FWIW, the upgrades/renewals at the old price end today (3/31). So if you’re jumping for the previous cheaper price, do it today. Tomorrow the price change goes into effect.

In case it’s not clear to you (it wasn’t to me) there’s an upgrade button if you log into your account to change from (for example) a 3-mo to an annual.
Going from 6 months to 12 months was just a $90 upcharge, kinda hard to pass up.

You used to be able to swap for anything in the store but last year they started to enforce swapping for only past albums of the month. You’re best bet is to probably keep skipping until there is a release that you’ll like.
And they told me that you only have two Skips in a year

It's past 12am here in the Central time zone and I just hopped back in for a year. After looking at the past AOTMs and realizing how many I wish I had been subbed for, I figured why the hell not.

It'll be our secret, my Secretly Society membership.

Nope can't do that as I only get one skip for six months so if I like August's album better I can't get it without doing another three months. Not a lot available from past months that I would really want to have that I don't already have in other formats. It sucks that it has to be secretly releases and not just anything in the store like the upcoming porridge radio album. Unless July's album is horrible I'll probably just stick with it. I don't want another three months on the membership to get a album I really want. I didn't do it for the special variants I did it because it would save me money on hatchies and angel Olsens albums as I was getting both of them anyways and it's cheaper then buying them without the membership. I just hope I enjoy July's release and I don't understand the skip rule as I should be able to skip until I find a album I want. I definitely would not buy mahal with my own money so I would be happier with something else.

And they told me that you only have two Skips in a year
I'm basically stuck with July's album as I don't want to keep the membership past three months and I'm skipping May's album as I don't care for it. Hopefully July's album will be better. Even if I want August's album I can't get it without staying a member.

Does secretly normally send an email when the album of the month ships?
This is my first month with them but I haven't heard anything yet.

i had a lot of issues with them shipping things awhile back and talked to their CS rep (Charlie i think?) and they flagged my email to always get a shipping notice. If you aren't getting them, ask for tracking and to be flagged and they can do it.

Back