Secretly Society

So I haven't been a member, I just purchased some one time things.

Is there a swap option each month and what do you guys think about the swap options? I'm thinking of joining for the bright eyes album but don't really want to get stuck for 3 months.

Edit: and now I've caught on on the thread and am more confused.. do the mockups not match reality every month?

Last edited:
So I haven't been a member, I just purchased some one time things.

Is there a swap option each month and what do you guys think about the swap options? I'm thinking of joining for the bright eyes album but don't really want to get stuck for 3 months.

Edit: and now I've caught on on the thread and am more confused.. do the mockups not match reality every month?

The mock-ups are notoriously off, and the pressing quality is often suspect. But the price is right and the customer service is top notch.

Regarding swaps, they will generally let you swap for any release in the Secretly roster. Some folks have suggested that a $20 limit is in place, but I would ask before making that assumption.

The mock-ups are notoriously off, and the pressing quality is often suspect. But the price is right and the customer service is top notch.

Regarding swaps, they will generally let you swap for any release in the Secretly roster. Some folks have suggested that a $20 limit is in place, but I would ask before making that assumption.

I can't complain about the price, just want to go in with my eyes open.

So there's a swap option or I need to contact CS to do it?

@Ethos99 My wife and I just signed up for another year after giving it a go last/this year and honestly, I enjoyed what was delivered to our home in that time than what we got out of a 2 year membership with VMP. For me, SS’s lineup is more in line with what I listen to. Of course there were a few unexpected surprises and a few releases that we swapped and probably shouldn’t have. The price is nice and some times you can get albums for $10 as a member. And as mentioned before, their customer service is good.

So generally are you happy with being a member?
I’m just reaching the end of my first 3 months as a member and I’ve enjoyed the experience quite a lot and will definitely be re-subscribing for another 3. Like others have said at $20/record I can’t complain too much and find the releases to be in the perfect place for my non-jazz/classics listening habits. I’ve personally found their backlog to contain an ample amount of heat and have swapped all current months to obtain older releases (Durand Jones, Sharon Van Etten and Tallest Man). For me Secretly Society helps me stay up to date with great new indie/alternative releases and helps me catch up on old ones! Easily worth the cost if you’re into the labels they work with and with the addition of Ghostly that sweetens the pot even more. I imagine they will continue to pick up more and more indie labels as they mature and the options will continue to add depth to their offerings!

And obviously if you are able to sub for 6 or even 12 months, it becomes even more financially advantageous. $16 and some change including delivery per month for a year is almost unfair.

So generally are you happy with being a member?

Generally, yes - but it's worth noting that I use it sparingly (on average, joining for a 3-month membership once a year). I find the ROTMs are pretty hit and miss, and I already have most of their back catalog that I truly want in my collection. As such, I wait for them to announce a good 2-3 month stretch, or for a few ROTMs that I like (they rarely sell out, though there are exceptions). I just re-joined for the first time in a while, will keep Bright Eyes and Mary Lattimore, and swap Whitney for Tallest Man on Earth.

In short, I would fully endorse a 3-month membership if you have your eyes on a few releases. $20 shipped for an exclusive is tough to beat. Member pricing on their exclusive pre-orders is another great perk, and you can bundle them with your ROTM for free shipping. I was also able to get free tickets to a few shows (pre-COVID, of course).

Generally, yes - but it's worth noting that I use it sparingly (on average, joining for a 3-month membership once a year). I find the ROTMs are pretty hit and miss, and I already have most of their back catalog that I truly want in my collection. As such, I wait for them to announce a good 2-3 month stretch, or for a few ROTMs that I like (they rarely sell out, though there are exceptions). I just re-joined for the first time in a while, will keep Bright Eyes and Mary Lattimore, and swap Whitney for Tallest Man on Earth.

In short, I would fully endorse a 3-month membership if you have your eyes on a few releases. $20 shipped for an exclusive is tough to beat. Member pricing on their exclusive pre-orders is another great perk, and you can bundle them with your ROTM for free shipping. I was also able to get free tickets to a few shows (pre-COVID, of course).
If you buy a lot of their releases between the members discount and free shipping the sub pays for itself.

Thank you x 1,000
This past month, we hit a big milestone, reaching 1,000 subscribers for the first time since we launched in 2016. Whether you just joined us or you have been with us since the beginning, we wanted to give you our heartfelt thanks. YOU make this record club what it is.

To show our appreciation, we wanted to give Society members access to a special Secretly Society Store sale. From today through Friday, we're offering every a la carte LP in the archive (2016-2019) for up to 25% off. As you know, these are all limited edition pressings, so once they're gone they're gone. With that said, orders exceeding three copies of any one title will not be honored. Ya gotta bring enough cake for everyone at the party, ya know?

To those that already own all or most of these records: don't worry! We have more exclusive surprises and treats coming soon to celebrate our Society members.

We hope you enjoy these releases as much as we do, and continue to enjoy member-only discounts across the entire Secretly Store.

Warmest regards,
your friends at Secretly Society

I'm always caught off guard by just how small this club is, relatively speaking.

Thank you x 1,000
This past month, we hit a big milestone, reaching 1,000 subscribers for the first time since we launched in 2016. Whether you just joined us or you have been with us since the beginning, we wanted to give you our heartfelt thanks. YOU make this record club what it is.

To show our appreciation, we wanted to give Society members access to a special Secretly Society Store sale. From today through Friday, we're offering every a la carte LP in the archive (2016-2019) for up to 25% off. As you know, these are all limited edition pressings, so once they're gone they're gone. With that said, orders exceeding three copies of any one title will not be honored. Ya gotta bring enough cake for everyone at the party, ya know?

To those that already own all or most of these records: don't worry! We have more exclusive surprises and treats coming soon to celebrate our Society members.

We hope you enjoy these releases as much as we do, and continue to enjoy member-only discounts across the entire Secretly Store.

Warmest regards,
your friends at Secretly Society

I'm always caught off guard by just how small this club is, relatively speaking.
Yeah wow 1000 subscribers! They’re really just getting started here

I was a member for 3 months and had no issues with the mockups or sound/pressing quality. Maybe I just got lucky...Tallest Man on Earth was very close to, and maybe even looked better than, the mockup IMO. I also got the Numero comp + Molina album.

I was a member for 3 months and had no issues with the mockups or sound/pressing quality. Maybe I just got lucky...Tallest Man on Earth was very close to, and maybe even looked better than, the mockup IMO. I also got the Numero comp + Molina album.

Good to hear, as I recently re-joined. Perhaps they have improved on both fronts? Both Dead Oceans and Jagjaguwar are associated with some shoddy pressings, and the mock-ups have been laughably off the mark at times in the past (and scroll back for their evolving mock-up on the Bright Eyes). Obviously, it's still a pretty great club given what it costs. I just wanted to share the full experience.

Swapped this month for Tallest Man, excited to get my hands on it. I’ve heard great things! Did the pressing sound pretty good? Only pressing I found a bit sketchy so far was Durand Jones American Love Call, but I think that my copy is just a bit dirty towards the end of Side B and it gets very muddy

Good to hear, as I recently re-joined. Perhaps they have improved on both fronts? Both Dead Oceans and Jagjaguwar are associated with some shoddy pressings, and the mock-ups have been laughably off the mark at times in the past (and scroll back for their evolving mock-up on the Bright Eyes). Obviously, it's still a pretty great club given what it costs. I just wanted to share the full experience.
Yea--I know about all the Jagjaguwar and DO issues in the past (all the Bon Iver albums up until 22, A Million for me were absolutely awful sound quality). The ones I got from SS (along with some exclusives like Khruangbin) were not nearly as bad. The DO variant of Khruangbin sounds better than my VMP one. None of the Secretly pressings were

I hadn't seen the Bright Eyes variant change. I wonder if the pressing plant couldn't actually get it to look like that. I'd rather get a heads up to be honest than get something like the VMP National release where it's completely the wrong color + variant while paying more for it and having them kind of ignore people's anger about it. I'm also not a huge Bright Eyes fan so I guess that's part of why I'm not bothered either haha.

I had a 3 month sub that was a birthday present and while I had no issues overall with the club, I didn't really love the selections every month so I ended up letting it lapse. I think if you like their roster of artists and enjoy the past ROTMs, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Swapped this month for Tallest Man, excited to get my hands on it. I’ve heard great things! Did the pressing sound pretty good? Only pressing I found a bit sketchy so far was Durand Jones American Love Call, but I think that my copy is just a bit dirty towards the end of Side B and it gets very muddy
Mine sounded good! And I love that album. It's the main reason why I subscribed.

IMG_1318.JPG

Back