RSD 2020

Finally got down to listening to Bob James - Once Upon A Time.

Wow after being let down by the sonics of Charlie Parker‘s Jazz at midnight (2/10), Bob James is a full 10/10. The best sounding RSD bar none. Could be among the best sounding in my entire record collection. Full dynamic range, supreme clarity yet the bass is defined and solid (My Ron Carter hasn‘t arrived so let’s see if it could top this )

Looking more closely at the jacket, I just realised that Bob James is mastered by Grundman and pressed at RTI

For sure Bob James is a great-sounding pressing. I know this will sound odd coming from “that guy at N&G who likes a lot of really weird stuff” but the experimental aspects of this recording was a big letdown for me, especially Lateef Minor 7th and Variations. Too shrill/jarring and just didn’t feel right to me.

Jazz at Midnite is not sonic honey but I really enjoyed it for what it is. There is some amazing playing on this record. My only complaint about the performance. — and it’s a minor one — is that it’s too hot. It starts pedal-to-the-metal from the first moment and rarely slows down to breathe.

The jazz jewel of the August RSD drop for me is Gene Russell, no contest. I’d still like to pick up Porto Novo, Monk and a couple of others so consider my opinion incomplete.

Outside of jazz, two other records took me by surprise: Brian Eno - Rams and Martin Denny - Exotic Moog. Take my praise of Eno with a grain of salt because I’m a borderline superfan but Rams is easily one of my 2020 faves. So good. I was not expecting this.

Cult-lounge is what immediately comes to mind about Martin Denny but Exotic Moog is far from it. His Moog imaginations of these covers are really great, especially given the context of it being within the first five years of Moog recordings and electronic music in general. Great pressing too.

Alfredo Linares Y Su Sonora - Yo Traigo Boogaloo completely lived up to expectations and is awesome as well. So glad to have found it!

Going back to Rams, listen to this song and tell me it’s not fantastic.

Last edited:
For sure Bob James is a great-sounding pressing. I know this will sound odd coming from “that guy at N&G who likes a lot of really weird stuff” but the experimental aspects of this recording was a big letdown for me, especially Lateef Minor 7th and Variations. Too shrill/jarring and just didn’t feel right to me.

Jazz at Midnite is not sonic honey but I really enjoyed it for what it is. There is some amazing playing on this record. My only complaint about the performance. — and it’s a minor one — is that it’s too hot. It starts pedal-to-the-metal from the first moment and rarely slows down to breathe.

The jazz jewel of the August RSD drop for me is Gene Russell, no contest. I’d still like to pick up Porto Novo, Monk and a couple of others so consider my opinion incomplete.

Outside of jazz, two other records took me by surprise: Brian Eno - Rams and Martin Denny - Exotic Moog. Take my praise of Eno with a grain of salt because I’m a borderline superfan but Rams is easily one of my 2020 faves. So good. I was not expecting this.

Cult-lounge is what immediately comes to mind about Martin Denny but Exotic Moog is far from it. His Moog imaginations of these covers are really great, especially given the context of it being within the first five years of Moog recordings and electronic music in general. Great pressing too.

Alfredo Linares Y Su Sonora - Yo Traigo Boogaloo completely lived up to expectations and is awesome as well. So glad to have found it!

I agree that the Gene Russell is fantastic, makes me excited to receive the other reissues in the Black Jazz series.

I might be wrong but I think the recording for Charlie Parker cuts in after they already start playing. Not sure if this is the case on other tracks but I have quite a few albums by Parker that do the exact same thing. Not sure if its a technical choice (maybe they were trying to save tape or something?) or a stylistic one. I do agree though, it would be nice if the music had time to breathe a bit.

Not sure if this is on your list, but the Ron Carter is very very good as well. Its a live recording but clearly a professional set up and the music is fantastic. Well worth looking into if you haven't already.

Haven’t seen anyone picking up the Biggie box. Just curious about everyone’s thoughts?

Haven’t seen anyone picking up the Biggie box. Just curious about everyone’s thoughts?
I have a couple thoughts (full disclosure, I'm not picking up anything at all for RSD - everything I like I already have OGs of or on CD):

1. Do you already have the other albums without the set? If not, is the album you don't have Born Again and then do you really care about Born Again?! Personally, I have multiple copies of Ready to Die and Life After Death, so this was an easy pass (and I'm not keen on Junior Mafia)
2. Is Ready to Die w/ or without the original samples? If it's not, then, of course, that is all a matter of preference (and then you'd want to steer toward the VMP or pre-2006 copies (OGs or The Remaster LP).
3. If #1 would usually bow you out, are you a completionist*** and need to have this

***I have thoughts on this too...the idea of completing a collection especially in regards to a deceased artist or one that has nothing to do with the controlling party of their recordings....what exactly is one completing? Quite possibly not the artist's vision for their output. It certainly doesn't get you closer to the artist as a dead man can't have an artistic vision. It is something packaged together by a company. I've become disillusioned with a lot of what RSD puts out - it's a lot of cash grabs (some of which I buy lol).

Any way, bit of a tangent; but you asked for thoughts and you didn't say they had to be coherent or cogent.

I have a couple thoughts (full disclosure, I'm not picking up anything at all for RSD - everything I like I already have OGs of or on CD):

1. Do you already have the other albums without the set? If not, is the album you don't have Born Again and then do you really care about Born Again?! Personally, I have multiple copies of Ready to Die and Life After Death, so this was an easy pass (and I'm not keen on Junior Mafia)
2. Is Ready to Die w/ or without the original samples? If it's not, then, of course, that is all a matter of preference (and then you'd want to steer toward the VMP or pre-2006 copies (OGs or The Remaster LP).
3. If #1 would usually bow you out, are you a completionist*** and need to have this

***I have thoughts on this too...the idea of completing a collection especially in regards to a deceased artist or one that has nothing to do with the controlling party of their recordings....what exactly is one completing? Quite possibly not the artist's vision for their output. It certainly doesn't get you closer to the artist as a dead man can't have an artistic vision. It is something packaged together by a company. I've become disillusioned with a lot of what RSD puts out - it's a lot of cash grabs (some of which I buy lol).

Any way, bit of a tangent; but you asked for thoughts and you didn't say they had to be coherent or cogent.
All I have is VMP Ready to Die so I’m still debating.

I'm working on a complete Elloitt Smith collection. The fact that Kill Rock Stars and his estate seem to be so very concerned with protecting the legacy makes it easier to go down the road for sure.

Finally got down to listening to Bob James - Once Upon A Time.

Wow after being let down by the sonics of Charlie Parker‘s Jazz at midnight (2/10), Bob James is a full 10/10. The best sounding RSD bar none. Could be among the best sounding in my entire record collection. Full dynamic range, supreme clarity yet the bass is defined and solid (My Ron Carter hasn‘t arrived so let’s see if it could top this )

Looking more closely at the jacket, I just realised that Bob James is mastered by Grundman and pressed at RTI
It's kind of single-handedly piqued my interested in the 'Serpico OST' sept drop, arranged by Bob James.

Not sure where to post this, but did anyone order anything from Rough Trade for the August RSD? I ordered Eilish and Al Green on 8/29, and have no shipping or tracking info. It said the label was created, but nothing since. I emailed them, but haven’t heard anything.

Not sure where to post this, but did anyone order anything from Rough Trade for the August RSD? I ordered Eilish and Al Green on 8/29, and have no shipping or tracking info. It said the label was created, but nothing since. I emailed them, but haven’t heard anything.
I ordered two RSD titles from Rough Trade (Charlie Parker and Gene Russell) and have received both of them (separately), one toward the end of last week and the other yesterday. I also received shipping emails for each, though tracking for the later arriving shipment was sketchy as it showed "no arrival date" or some-such until it arrived.

I agree that the Gene Russell is fantastic, makes me excited to receive the other reissues in the Black Jazz series.

I might be wrong but I think the recording for Charlie Parker cuts in after they already start playing. Not sure if this is the case on other tracks but I have quite a few albums by Parker that do the exact same thing. Not sure if its a technical choice (maybe they were trying to save tape or something?) or a stylistic one. I do agree though, it would be nice if the music had time to breathe a bit.

Not sure if this is on your list, but the Ron Carter is very very good as well. Its a live recording but clearly a professional set up and the music is fantastic. Well worth looking into if you haven't already.
Good to hear. I look forward to both my Gene Russell and Ron Carter which are both en route. Ron Carter has arrived at the airport, just havent got to me yet

I do agree those parts in Bob James are jarring, unfortunately.

I also understand what you mean about Charlie Parker. Music first, sound second. It’s just that i have been spoiled by good sound and music; so when the sonics disappoints, it annoys me

I did. Ordered Magic Numbers. It has been delivered (...to my forwarder, as I am from overseas).

Finally getting around to the Gene Russell album and have to agree it’s top-tier. I don’t listen to much horn-less jazz, but this piano led quartet is hot and the record sounds terrific. Wish I was as excited about the Dizzy Gillespie/Charlie Parker Town Hall RSD album, but quality is generally poor and really inconsistent throughout. The first track sounds like the mic was placed right in front of the bass drum, then things shift, with a less drum-centric mic placement, but the volume varies significantly within cuts. Assuming there isn’t anything here specific to my copy, and I doubt it’s specific, I wish this kind of thing would be advertised for what it is, which in this case would be akin to a poorly recorded bootleg.

What are the picks out of drop 2? I remember there is the Bill Evans on resonance that I haven’t got.

Back