RSD 2020

I ordered this as well but don’t have it in hand yet. I did pick up Blood on Black Wax — the horror equivalent — on RSD last year and can recommend the concept and entertainment factor. A couple of caveats — don’t approach it as an encyclopedic reference. There will be gaps in releases covered and credits. And the writing is inconsistent, which I can appreciate. It would take a helluva effort to write fresh, amazing copy about every single release covered. But I enjoyed it enough to pick up Planet Wax this year.
Appreciate the insight! 🍻
I might wait a little bit and see if I can score it a little cheaper when/if the RSD leftovers get marked down some.

Appreciate the insight! 🍻
I might wait a little bit and see if I can score it a little cheaper when/if the RSD leftovers get marked down some.

That's what I did and ended up getting the signed edition for a little under $30 and it seemed like Blood On Black Wax was a bit more in-demand but that edition was also a bit bigger.

I almost grabbed Planet Wax from Dark Delicacies a few weeks back since they had 5 of the film composers in the book (including Christopher Young also signing the 7") but it sold out quick. I'm holding out to hopefully grab it for $30ish but we'll see.

Also, not sure if you knew but they'll have a non-signed and no 7" version for sale pretty much everywhere at the end of this month as well.

That's what I did and ended up getting the signed edition for a little under $30 and it seemed like Blood On Black Wax was a bit more in-demand but that edition was also a bit bigger.

I almost grabbed Planet Wax from Dark Delicacies a few weeks back since they had 5 of the film composers in the book (including Christopher Young also signing the 7") but it sold out quick. I'm holding out to hopefully grab it for $30ish but we'll see.

Also, not sure if you knew but they'll have a non-signed and no 7" version for sale pretty much everywhere at the end of this month as well.
Yeah I did notice there was a book only version being released soon. I googled the book looking for more detail and photos and came across an amazon preorder for the book which was $34 I think. The RSD version would be the preferred one if I can find it marked down to $25-30.

New West really hit it out of the park with the Grandpaw would reissue. I just got it because I like ben lees early stuff. But this came on cool looking splatter with great 20 page 12" bookleetand his home demos and covers are actually cool

New West really hit it out of the park with the Grandpaw would reissue. I just got it because I like ben lees early stuff. But this came on cool looking splatter with great 20 page 12" bookleetand his home demos and covers are actually cool

I have the original Grand Royal pressing, so I didn't pay much mind to this one, even though I was happy to see it get an RSD reissue. I didn't realize what it entailed

I never had the original, so i jumped on this. I like the love to detail llike the reworking of the original grand royal logoView attachment 64277

Yeah, that's great. This is just a really nostaglic record for me. I was listening to this, Built To Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Rift by Phish a lot, all around the same time. WEEN's Pure Guava, too, with the assorted Grateful Dead and Beatles, etc sprinkled in. It's all kind of one weird moment. I found a copy once for $2, years ago, at a little street market, so I bought it. I never remember hearing much about it otherwise, so I don't know what kind of life it had beyond myself and the friend I would listen to it with. Because of that, the associations remain very specific for me.

I might have to grab this for the demos and outtakes.

Yeah, that's great. This is just a really nostaglic record for me. I was listening to this, Built To Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Rift by Phish a lot, all around the same time. WEEN's Pure Guava, too, with the assorted Grateful Dead and Beatles, etc sprinkled in. It's all kind of one weird moment. I found a copy once for $2, years ago, at a little street market, so I bought it. I never remember hearing much about it otherwise, so I don't know what kind of life it had beyond myself and the friend I would listen to it with. Because of that, the associations remain very specific for me.

I might have to grab this for the demos and outtakes.

I actually started listening to ben lee with the second one "something to remember me by" and only had pop queen on an old grand royal sampler. So that was the chance to pick this up. Looks like there a enough copies around of the reissue judging from discogs sellers prices

I actually started listening to ben lee with the second one "something to remember me by" and only had pop queen on an old grand royal sampler. So that was the chance to pick this up. Looks like there a enough copies around of the reissue judging from discogs sellers prices

Yeah. I picked up a lot, so I'm hoping to just watch this drop in price. Some always do and this feels slept on. It's the same with the Daedelus Invention release for RSD from a few years back. You can find that now for about $10 some places and I love that album.

When "Something To Remember Me By" came out, I was so used to the sound of Grandpaw Would that it almost felt too sleek and produced, at the time. Of course, that's only by comparison to an album made by a 15 year old on a $20 guitar. What always kind of weirded me out is how, when Lee was signed to Grand Royal, he was still a kid and Ad Rock was married to Ione Skye. Now Ben is married to her. Mix in the fact that Donovan has been both of their father in law and my imagination jumbles up with fantastic ideas of them all palling around in a yard drinking beer at some fictional cookout.

Damnnnnn the comments on the Discogs listing for the Sun Ra box are BRUTAL. People are not happy at all with the amount pressed. Have to say though, a deluxe 5lp box set for £69.99 sounds pretty reasonable to me (especially when you consider the inflated RSD prices) and im surprised they only pressed 2000 copies worldwide.

Sun Ra - Egypt 1971

Damnnnnn the comments on the Discogs listing for the Sun Ra box are BRUTAL. People are not happy at all with the amount pressed. Have to say though, a deluxe 5lp box set for £69.99 sounds pretty reasonable to me (especially when you consider the inflated RSD prices) and im surprised they only pressed 2000 copies worldwide.

Sun Ra - Egypt 1971
I've got to say though, this is one of the best Discogs "reviews" I've seen 🔥
20200902_201448.jpg

Back