Right Channel Turntable problem.

Just from memory the LP120 phono stage is terrible and still colours the sound when it’s turned off?

could this be a case of an error in it that’s persisting even when turned off? What type of table was the other one that you tried out?
The LP120 line in still has the same distortion as the Phono Input of my receiver.

Maybe. My other table was a Hitachi PS-38

The LP120 line in still has the same distortion as the Phono Input of my receiver.

Maybe. My other table was a Hitachi PS-38

Maybe then. But with your other table being something else altogether I’d be less sure. Do you know anyone with another table without a pre amp on if at all that could bring it around to test?

Maybe then. But with your other table being something else altogether I’d be less sure. Do you know anyone with another table without a pre amp on if at all that could bring it around to test?
I do not. To clarify my PS-38 does not have a pre amp built in it.

I do not. To clarify my PS-38 does not have a pre amp built in it.

Right then I doubt that’s the problem. Was just shooting out there. It does sound like a speaker/speaker cable/RCA cable problem by the sounds of it but it’s very difficult to tell from a distance!

Update:

1 Billion percent sure its the receiver. Specifically, the knobs. I fiddled with the knobs and got the same results. Contact cleaner was purchased and used. Will wait to see what the results are.

Thank you everyone for your help and I hope this final message will close this saga of almost a year of living with sub par audio. If not, I will truly go insane. I feel like I'm the protagonist of Edgar Allen Poes " The Raven" slowly falling to madness under the shadow of said raven. But instead its the distortion and uneven sound of my set up.

I need caffeine.

What cleaner did you purchase and how did you use it?
The name eludes me at the moment. But I'm pretty sure it was a generic contact cleaner.

I ended up taking it to a shop. Guy told me it most likely needs a good cleaning and no to worry to much. But if its something else, its gonna cost quite a bit.

I'm worried

Deoxit is good stuff to clean up the pots.

Did it still have issues with headphones?

As of now, a solution hasn't been found. Gonna buy something to clean the inputs on the back and see how that does. Both Line and Phono inputs have the same problem.

What I have noticed is when I push down on the turntable the sound comes back to the speaker. I have changed the turntable weight and anti skate so I am even more confused now.

Don't waste money buying anything to clean your input jacks. Assuming they aren't black and grody, removing and reinstalling the cable actually cleans the jack.

Is this issue only happening with the turntable, or any input? I'm a bit confused with the line/phono remark above.

Don't waste money buying anything to clean your input jacks. Assuming they aren't black and grody, removing and reinstalling the cable actually cleans the jack.

Is this issue only happening with the turntable, or any input? I'm a bit confused with the line/phono remark above.
LP120 has a switch to change it from line in to phono. I have tried using it both ways. plugged the line in to the AUX input and it did the same thing as when its switched to phono on the phono input. Only time it doesn't do that is when I turn it to radio.

Final Update:

Its fixed. Input switch was beyond dirty. He did a cleaning of the inside and tested it. It works now. On both turntables it works perfectly. Doesn't cut out or distort anymore!

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Now I'm gonna go listen to a pile of records now!

Final Update:

Its fixed. Input switch was beyond dirty. He did a cleaning of the inside and tested it. It works now. On both turntables it works perfectly. Doesn't cut out or distort anymore!

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Now I'm gonna go listen to a pile of records now!
It’s pretty amazing what a good cleaning can do. I recently cleaned out my vintage Sony STR-V4 receiver that I’m sure was never cleaned before. Got the dust out with compressed air and sprayed down the pots and contacts. I was having a bit of static in the right channel and a noisy volume knob. It made quite a difference. Backgrounds are much cleaner and the music isn’t as muddy. All of the knobs and switches work perfectly now too. Deoxit is quite amazing.

Back