Right Channel Turntable problem.

Now I’m curious about what happens if it’s sent through headphones. I’d try that as a start to walk back up the chain.
When I plug in my speakers it gets the same distortion and loss of audio as the speakers.

I've gone through double phono hell before, or rather in my case, no phono hell. It sounds like your turntable and receiver both have phono preamplifiers. The trick everybody is talking about is to ensure you use exactly one of them.
Most receivers have theirs permanently wired to the phono input. If you use that input, you get the receiver's phono preamp.
If the turntable has a preamp, then there is a switch to turn it on or off.
Since you're using your receiver's phono input, you don't want to use the turntable's phono preamp. Look for that switch on the turntable and turn it off. It might be hidden, so don't be ashamed to read the manual!

Last edited:
I've gone through double phono hell before, or rather in my case, no phono hell. It sounds like your turntable and receiver both have phono preamplifiers. The trick everybody is talking about is to ensure you use exactly one of them.
Most receivers have theirs permanently wired to the phono input. If you use that input, you get the receiver's phono preamp.
If the turntable has a preamp, then there is a switch to turn it on or off.
Since you're using your receiver's phono input, then look for that switch on the turntable and turn it off. It might be hidden, so don't be ashamed to read the manual!

That's exactly what I said!!! ;) Or tried to, at least.

you said it. I understood you. or maybe that says something about me instead...

🤔🤔🤔
To be quite fair to @apholden - I had no idea what I was saying. Nor would I have ever thought to categorize it as double phono hell.

I pretty much just walked into the mechanic, said my engine was going "vroom click bang woof" whenever I turned my steering wheel to the right. And Mr. Holden said, "Ah yes, that sounds like the whoseefaucet belt, we'll repair that right away."

To be quite fair to @apholden - I had no idea what I was saying. Nor would I have ever thought to categorize it as double phono hell.

I pretty much just walked into the mechanic, said my engine was going "vroom click bang woof" whenever I turned my steering wheel to the right. And Mr. Holden said, "Ah yes, that sounds like the whoseefaucet belt, we'll repair that right away."

Hahaha! Whereas I’m the loon who explains it at silly length to the mechanic using jargon I don’t fully understand and confuse the life out of him when I just need some new tyres...

No worries. I was just trying to find the right balance between explaining what's happening and what OP needs to do. And pray to God I don't insult anyone in the process!
Is it time to head to the drunk thread? I probably shouldn't post this from the brewery.

Last edited:
No worries. I was just trying to find the right balance between explaining what's happening and what OP needs to do. And pray to God I don't insult anyone in the process!
Is it time to head to the drunk thread? I probably shouldn't post this from the brewery.

There’s a drunk thread? I thought that was just the forum...

...hic...

At least he didn’t do like me and set the vtf to .15 g instead of 1.5 and then have an autistic mini meltdown post here only to calm down look at my scale and use many expletives directed at myself lol.

If it makes you feel any better I had a public drunken meltdown on the old place about my amplifier distorting everything horribly and having given up the ghost.

There was a big piece of fluff on my stylus...

If it makes you feel any better I had a public drunken meltdown on the old place about my amplifier distorting everything horribly and having given up the ghost.

I love making fun of myself by telling others about my struggles it’s one of the ways I cope with my lack of neuro typicality so at this point it’s just another funny story to tell. I wish the decimal point on the scale was properly visible but now I know and all is good especially after coming home to my NAD CD player having been delivered.

Last edited:
At least he didn’t do like me and set the vtf to .15 g instead of 1.5 and then have an autistic mini meltdown post here only to calm down look at my scale and use many expletives directed at myself lol.
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Why, I haven't directed expletives at myself in at least... uh... 1 week, 2 days, at least 5 mintutes.
Damn it, learn to spell, self!

That sounds like my parent's record changer when I was growing up. We had many pets and only cleaned the stylus when the dust puppy got so bad it couldn't track anymore.

As of now, a solution hasn't been found. Gonna buy something to clean the inputs on the back and see how that does. Both Line and Phono inputs have the same problem.

What I have noticed is when I push down on the turntable the sound comes back to the speaker. I have changed the turntable weight and anti skate so I am even more confused now.

Just from memory the LP120 phono stage is terrible and still colours the sound when it’s turned off?

could this be a case of an error in it that’s persisting even when turned off? What type of table was the other one that you tried out?

Back