Right Channel Turntable problem.

AudioAce

Okay I am going insane trying to solve this. My record player journey has been fraught woth the same problem.

My left channel cuts in and out and get distorted. The right channel once in a while has the same problem. So I thought it to be my receiver and it upgraded. That wasn't the problem. Next I check the wiring and everything seems to be fine. I A/B with a speaker and no, thats not the problem either. I adjust tracking force and anti skate and that doesnt fix it. I get a new turntable and after just trying it out it happens again. I am at my wits end on this one and really need help. If anyone can lend me a hand that would be great. I have a Marantz 2252 receiver, AT LP 120 turntable to Klipsch R 14M speakers

Just to be clear, when you replaced the turntable, you are also using the cart that came with it? And that turntable is level on a level surface?

When it cuts in/out is there a static “burst” or just a silent cut out?
I am using the new cart that came with the new turntable. Its a silent cut out.

I am using the new cart that came with the new turntable. Its a silent cut out.
So you've swapped speakers by changing the wires, connecting the right speaker to the left terminal, and the left speaker to the right terminal on the amp, and it stayed in the left? Or did you physically swap both the wires AND the locations of the speakers, and it stayed on the left, regardless of which amp terminal/speaker was used?

You swapped turntables entirely, with a new cart, and got a new receiver.

Is there anything else in the signal chain?

Maybe you're having hearing problems in your left ear. :ROFLMAO:

So I had this happen once. Our old pal, MattW, talked me through it. It may not be the same issue though. I am using a vincent pre amp. And had the tt plugged into my phono input. My receiver did NOT like that at all. All I had to do was plug my tt into another input - maybe the CD one? I forget.

But yeah. I'm such an amateur at the equipment side, I essentially panicked, declared it all dead, called Matt crying and he rather quickly talked me down. So keep that in mind when considering anything I say.

Did you replace or test with new speaker wire? You needn’t rerun the whole thing to test, a couple feet will work.

And you’ve listed the whole chain? No RCA extensions or other components?

Does the cut out happen randomly or at the same spot every time? On different records?

And you’ve re-zeroed and reset your tracking weight? What weight are you running?

(sorry to ask so many questions, but we’re running out of stuff to look at)

So you've swapped speakers by changing the wires, connecting the right speaker to the left terminal, and the left speaker to the right terminal on the amp, and it stayed in the left? Or did you physically swap both the wires AND the locations of the speakers, and it stayed on the left, regardless of which amp terminal/speaker was used?

You swapped turntables entirely, with a new cart, and got a new receiver.

Is there anything else in the signal chain?

Maybe you're having hearing problems in your left ear. :ROFLMAO:
Yes. Swaped everything. I've tried a combination of switching wires, speakers, inputs on turntables and receivers and the problem still persist.

My ears shall be tested next.

I would say the speaker is a dud by why would it work with the radio? Or am I missing something.

Okay I am going insane trying to solve this. My record player journey has been fraught woth the same problem.

My left channel cuts in and out and get distorted. The right channel once in a while has the same problem. So I thought it to be my receiver and it upgraded. That wasn't the problem. Next I check the wiring and everything seems to be fine. I A/B with a speaker and no, thats not the problem either. I adjust tracking force and anti skate and that doesnt fix it. I get a new turntable and after just trying it out it happens again. I am at my wits end on this one and really need help. If anyone can lend me a hand that would be great. I have a Marantz 2252 receiver, AT LP 120 turntable to Klipsch R 14M speakers
You may need to clean/resurface the speaker relays on that Marantz. You can try to do it yourself (YouTube is your friend) but I had mine serviced for a similar issue when I first got my 2245. No issues since.

Did you replace or test with new speaker wire? You needn’t rerun the whole thing to test, a couple feet will work.

And you’ve listed the whole chain? No RCA extensions or other components?

Does the cut out happen randomly or at the same spot every time? On different records?

And you’ve re-zeroed and reset your tracking weight? What weight are you running?

(sorry to ask so many questions, but we’re running out of stuff to look at)
New wire

Thats the whole chain

Depends. Sometimes at random, but I was also testing ...Like Clockwork and it kept happening in the same part on "I Sat By the Ocean"

I have reset tracking on both turntables.

(Thanks for asking)

So I had this happen once. Our old pal, MattW, talked me through it. It may not be the same issue though. I am using a vincent pre amp. And had the tt plugged into my phono input. My receiver did NOT like that at all. All I had to do was plug my tt into another input - maybe the CD one? I forget.

But yeah. I'm such an amateur at the equipment side, I essentially panicked, declared it all dead, called Matt crying and he rather quickly talked me down. So keep that in mind when considering anything I say.
I've..........not done this. I will try this when I get home. Thank you!

New wire

Thats the whole chain

Depends. Sometimes at random, but I was also testing ...Like Clockwork and it kept happening in the same part on "I Sat By the Ocean"

I have reset tracking on both turntables.

(Thanks for asking)
If you haven’t measured and pushed up the tracking weight to 2g or better yet, do that. That AT green can take it and it’ll rule out loose tracking.

I mean, if this was the case, I'd imagine it would sound like hell all of the time due to doubling up on the pre-amping.
It did sound like hell. Thus the panic. And then everything would just shut down. So, yeah. Hell is a very good word to describe the whole situation. :)

Also wouldn’t explain it persisting when he swapped receivers.
I mean, unless he hooked it up to phono both times.

Honestly though, it sounds like faulty speaker or wiring. They're the only thing that hasn't changed. It could be a loose connector in the speakers crossover? A damaged speaker wire?

Or might it be that one of the speakers is hooked up in reverse?

I mean, unless he hooked it up to phono both times.

Honestly though, it sounds like faulty speaker or wiring. They're the only thing that hasn't changed. It could be a loose connector in the speakers crossover? A damaged speaker wire?

Or might it be that one of the speakers is hooked up in reverse?
Now I’m curious about what happens if it’s sent through headphones. I’d try that as a start to walk back up the chain.

Back