Red/Orpheus/Waffles/Ex What.CD Communities

Believer101

Any of us in these high grade music communities??

Its been a long time now since What.CD got pulled but I still find myself sad over it. So much organized music just gone!

OMG! I love this thread already. Longtime torrent-er here.

I was on Waffles & What, and am now on RED. I was super sad when What shut down as it was my mecca for music discovery at the time. RED is nice but its nowhere near as a robust...yet :)

On Orpheus here (was known as Apollo for a while). Sadly a shade of its former self. Used to be a lot of vinylrippers on there but most have moved on to private blogs.

Hell, I remember the Oink days and how it was slaughtered. We wandered in the wilderness for days until What came alongg.

Reactions: Tyr
what.cd was my haven for so long. I was legitimately broken up when it closed. I tried some of the other sites afterwards but it just wasn't the same.

The positive? It encouraged me to start collecting physical media formats again, and there is no going back!

On Orpheus here (was known as Apollo for a while). Sadly a shade of its former self. Used to be a lot of vinylrippers on there but most have moved on to private blogs.

Hell, I remember the Oink days and how it was slaughtered. We wandered in the wilderness for days until What came alongg.
Ah the good ole' Oink days! LOL I used to have a t-shirt with the oink pig and the What.cd rainbow layer cake on the front. Music nerds unite, amirite?

I used to also be on pbthal's private vinyl rip site. But tbh, he kept changing the site so often I wasn't able to keep up with it and have no idea where it landed. He was the best vinyl ripper IMO tho

I just used my Oink tshirt/rag to wash my car on Saturday.

pbthal does some great rips, but between changing his site every 6mon between private and public and re-ripping all the Foreigner albums every time he has a new set up, I stopped following him. There are a few others that are good but the sites are private and I am not sure how people get invites.

Needletime does some interesting early 80 indie pop and post-punk rips

• Haha
I just used my Oink tshirt/rag to wash my car on Saturday.

pbthal does some great rips, but between changing his site every 6mon between private and public and re-ripping all the Foreigner albums every time he has a new set up, I stopped following him. There are a few others that are good but the sites are private and I am not sure how people get invites.

Needletime does some interesting early 80 indie pop and post-punk rips
Legit lol'd at the Foreigner comment. Too true!

Thanks for the link. I'll check out Needletime and see what I think. Enjoy that car rag! Its a piece of history at this point.

Im on Orpheus.
When what.cd went down they welcomed me with open arms with 0 issue.
For the most part orpheus has everything I look for but it still could be better.

my problem with red is its basically impossible to keep your ratio up... no one downloads any of the small name stuff i pick up and thus nothing seeds

my problem with red is its basically impossible to keep your ratio up... no one downloads any of the small name stuff i pick up and thus nothing seeds

With orpheus I have what seems a never ending perfect ratio and endless "free tokens"
ATM I think I got 121 free tokens (lets you get 1 album per token)

wow now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile...i downloaded a ton of his rips.

i really miss what.cd. was pretty active there but have no proof of it really and can't get access to any of the other sites anymore!

wow now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile...i downloaded a ton of his rips.

i really miss what.cd. was pretty active there but have no proof of it really and can't get access to any of the other sites anymore!
I don't think I have any invites right now but when I do.............

With orpheus I have what seems a never ending perfect ratio and endless "free tokens"
ATM I think I got 121 free tokens (lets you get 1 album per token)
god can i join orpheus... because god i just cant get any ratio in red

and i just dunno how to make it actually seed

I've found the best way to get ratio up in a pinch is to just go to Bandcamp, find any random free release from this year, and upload it to Red if it hasn't been uploaded yet. There are a handful of auto-snatchers that download any album from the current year so it's an easy way to get at least 100 MBs or so. A couple grueling weeks of that is how I clawed my way up to Elite TM :p

I started on Oink and went to both What and Waffles. Waffles has been down for a while, I'm hoping they come back up but I'm getting less hopeful.

Back