Record Store Day 2022

Is me or does it increasingly feel like RSD has lost its lustre and should just stop? The releases are increasingly poor and there’s just less and less that isn’t worse takes of iconic songs or stuff that was long forgotten for a reason or something we all already own on colour vinyl.
I agree. At this point, the prices are largely outrageous. The releases are mediocre (for my tastes). I only visit shops for their "used drops" on RSD, but several by me now think, "oh it's RSD, let's priced the used LPs extraordinarily high as well."

Yeah...I honestly think it's a combo of retailers slashing prices of a ton of inventory (Walmart $15, Target 3for2, etc) and a very weak RSD list. I had a small online order but for nearly anything else when I can get Tone Poets or MoFis or a ton of popular releases at 30%+ off...spending above full price on niche or "no one asked for this" RSD items is a pass. Especially on Black Friday when the last thing I want to do is go to a full price retailer

I had a great time meeting up with a friend and grabbing 4 records that were around $20 each. There are some solid releases. I don't need there to be 20 records I want, already have enough of a want list. I want to get out to support a local or two, hang out with some friends, and have a fun day centered around music. That's enough for me.

I agree. At this point, the prices are largely outrageous. The releases are mediocre (for my tastes). I only visit shops for their "used drops" on RSD, but several by me now think, "oh it's RSD, let's priced the used LPs extraordinarily high as well."
I think RSD should be modified. Initially the point was to get people into record stores. That isn’t an issue any more though, RSD is still one of the biggest days for participating Locals, it just needs to be more about celebrating the store itself than about “special releases”. It’s all very lazy at this point.

I think RSD should be modified. Initially the point was to get people into record stores. That isn’t an issue any more though, RSD is still one of the biggest days for participating Locals, it just needs to be more about celebrating the store itself than about “special releases”. It’s all very lazy at this point.
Agreed, needs to be more like what Small Business Saturday has become. It’s to the point where I’m NOT going because of these releases, or lack thereof

Is me or does it increasingly feel like RSD has lost its lustre and should just stop? The releases are increasingly poor and there’s just less and less that isn’t worse takes of iconic songs or stuff that was long forgotten for a reason or something we all already own on colour vinyl.
Around here, it was about 20 minutes of die-hards and flippers, then turned into any other Friday. There is TONS of stock left everywhere.

What will kill it, or force reconsideration and reform, is the retail stores. They are all stuck with way too much stock, and stuff that outside RSD is a very tough sell and slow to move. One of the biggest here still has a fair bit of stock from April, and reams from BF.

Independent retailers can't have their limited operating capital tied up in dead stock. They will order less next RSD, be more careful in what they bring in, and that will be the turning point.

Around here, it was about 20 minutes of die-hards and flippers, then turned into any other Friday. There is TONS of stock left everywhere.

What will kill it, or force reconsideration and reform, is the retail stores. They are all stuck with way too much stock, and stuff that outside RSD is a very tough sell and slow to move. One of the biggest here still has a fair bit of stock from April, and reams from BF.

Independent retailers can't have their limited operating capital tied up in dead stock. They will order less next RSD, be more careful in what they bring in, and that will be the turning point.
I think you’re right. I was in a small indie store this morning looking for the Wish reissue on black vinyl but they only had the BFRSD picture disc version. That was the only BFRSD release they’d ordered in.

I think RSD is still conceptually sound, but its focus that wasn’t super tight to begin with has gotten completely lost. I think if they want to successfully continue it, they need to establish a real intent and point of view rather than just “here’s a pile of stuff.” They let it get away from them - the labels want to wring every penny out of it and the RSD people took their hand of the wheel and let them.

Also with the addition of two RSD essentials every month, there's not as much high quality stuff to wait for.

The Chris Isaak reissues sold amazing for example.

Agreed on the problems w RSD, but as w Matt above, it was a good excuse to hit a local shop that’s mostly used but has a limited inventory of new, including RSD. I paid full fare for the two Ahmad Jamal releases knowing I’d probably be able to get them cheaper online bc there wasn’t much buzz around them, and, as a minor quasi-RSD bonus, they had a mint open, but unplayed copy of the 2017 RSD hexagonal Gil Mellé “The Andromeda Strain” that I picked up.

Got the Fleetwood Mac Alternates box in this AM from yellow dog discs already. Not a shock, but so far the records sound great and it's a very well done set. Glad I got it since I missed out on most of the single LP releases. Seems like you can get it for around $135+ shipping on discogs at the moment from a few places.

Got the Fleetwood Mac Alternates box in this AM from yellow dog discs already. Not a shock, but so far the records sound great and it's a very well done set. Glad I got it since I missed out on most of the single LP releases. Seems like you can get it for around $135+ shipping on discogs at the moment from a few places.

This is the only title I ordered. Definitely a bit more than $135 but fomo got the better of me, I didn't pick up any of the individual releases. Glad to hear it sounds good.

This is the only title I ordered. Definitely a bit more than $135 but fomo got the better of me, I didn't pick up any of the individual releases. Glad to hear it sounds good.
i was going to hold strong until I saw it for $115 + shipping from yellow dog discs.

i think they are all Bellman cuts. I just listened to the Alternative Fleetwood Mac and it's great. gonna try to spin them all today.

Back