Record Store Day 2022

I found this from an article dated a week ago:

"The threshold varies with the owner’s state of residence. For most states, the threshold is $20,000 in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year, and 200 payments for goods and services in the same year.

For residents of Massachusetts, Maryland, Vermont, and Virginia, the threshold is $600, irrespective of the number of transactions. For Illinois residents, the threshold is $1,000 with three or more transactions"

Anyway, this shit is why Dems never stay in power
I don't think that is correct. Unless they went back on it/repealed parts or changed it at the state level, most of those states had already enacted the $600 threshold for 2021.

Did anybody grab that Karen Dalton RSD release? I really like her but wasn't sure how it sounded and couldn't find any samples of the music
i mean any time anyone put a microphone anywhere near karen dalton and started recording, it's probably worth hearing, and this is a really exceptional performance. i was a little worried about the duets but they're great as well.

to my ears, the limitations of the source material are evident but easy enough to overlook, especially since the pressing itself is well done. if you love karen dalton and you don't mind a bit of distortion and tape warble, you'd be advised to pick up a copy.

I don't think that is correct. Unless they went back on it/repealed parts or changed it at the state level, most of those states had already enacted the $600 threshold for 2021.

Well, this will be something they will get bludgeoned with in midterms, and their own fault

Im part of a few vinyl groups on Facebook (literally the only reason I still go on there) and reading the comments about how flippers should be allowed because they "put in the work" is depressing.
I think flippers should eat my dick. That being said, I think people bitching about them is annoying as fuck. It sucks but that how Capitalism works.

i mean any time anyone put a microphone anywhere near karen dalton and started recording, it's probably worth hearing, and this is a really exceptional performance. i was a little worried about the duets but they're great as well.

to my ears, the limitations of the source material are evident but easy enough to overlook, especially since the pressing itself is well done. if you love karen dalton and you don't mind a bit of distortion and tape warble, you'd be advised to pick up a copy.
I might grab a copy...I picked up a sealed copy of It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You in a shop the other day at retail. And I have the VMP press of In My Own Time on its way to me. I'm glad she is getting a bunch of reissue love lately.

I think flippers should eat my dick. That being said, I think people bitching about them is annoying as fuck. It sucks but that how Capitalism works.
Sorry, but don't like that logic at all. Capitalism sucks and we all should bitch about it, especially if we know that's how it works.

Sorry, but don't like that logic at all. Capitalism sucks and we all should bitch about it, especially if we know that's how it works.
Sure, bitch all you want about Capitalism but also, don’t be outraged or angry when you decided to sleep in on RSD and all the leaches swooped in and bought up all of the albums you wanted.

Sure, bitch all you want about Capitalism but also, don’t be outraged or angry when you decided to sleep in on RSD and all the leaches swooped in and bought up all of the albums you wanted.
I'm not, but I'm able-bodied enough to be able to wake up and go. Others have to work, others don't have stores near them, others are sick, etc. And ultimately I don't blame flippers, I blame the shitty system we live in that makes it so that people have to do things like flip art or make music in worthless collectable formats just to charge a premium so they can pay rent. I get your point, I just think it's valid to complain about anything that sucks cause there are usually always valid reasons to do so.

I'm not, but I'm able-bodied enough to be able to wake up and go. Others have to work, others don't have stores near them, others are sick, etc. And ultimately I don't blame flippers, I blame the shitty system we live in that makes it so that people have to do things like flip art or make music in worthless collectable formats just to charge a premium so they can pay rent. I get your point, I just think it's valid to complain about anything that sucks cause there are usually always valid reasons to do so.
Yeah, this is me on the internet complaining about complainers I can appreciate the irony.

Sorry not you and definitely not @Selaws either but “you” as in a good chunk of the vinyl collecting community that goes online to complain about flippers every time they didn’t end up with the record they wanted.

I don't complain, I come from a far more spiritual place.

I say things like "If I don't get that Ramones box I might burn a building down" and the rock gods give me favor.

That's all

I’m not sure about Venmo but I do know of people who abused F&F on PP and their accounts were frozen and you don’t want that.
Venmo is owned by PayPal. It's the same thing packaged differently. Never understood Venmo when PayPal did everything you needed it to. It's just to brag about who you're sending money to and making "here's $5 for last night" meme's?

People bitch about flippers, but sell their VMP records for just under current prices. Maybe it‘s a delayed flip?

Record stores are flippers, by definition. As is anyone who buys something and resells at a profit.

Who buys tickets above face value, or supports scalpers?

I’m not a fan of flipping, but there’s very little that can be done. Sure, there are rules, and fees, but they are avoidable.

I deal with goods & services when I sell. I treat buyers how I want to be treated when I buy. Grading, pricing, packing, everything. I try my best to build record karma whenever possible. And I do some of it on Facebook. And I am fully vaxxed.

Like there is a midground right in the flipping argument to me. There is a service of sorts being provided and a secondary market is essential to the hobby in have ways, and to TLKs point it's pretty inevitable if something is printed below demand it will appear this way. With that said, the argument struggles a ton when a flipper argues their value add of fronting the retail price and buying / shipping the item is 2, 3, 5, 10 times the price of the good within hours of purchase. That's a very hard thing to morally defend imo. In most cases the service is taking a record out of the hands of someone who could afford it at 20 and putting it into someone who can afford 200 where you get the difference. Earned it my ass

Part of the blame here goes to the decision to do highly limited items that had a clearly higher potential demand and how those are distributed. They could have sold 30k Swifts or 6k of Bareilles. Maybe Bull Moose doesn't need every Hammett in the universe or Mr In The Groove doesn't get a bajilliom Art Peppers and Avi's Canadian store doesn't get shut out it is a different deal

Edit: to me the difference between individuals reselling their VMP records or record stores is the inherent investment and risk. A record store is a flipper, but they are also fronting a huge sum of money way in advance, likely sitting on inventory for weeks to years, managing a brick and mortar location to make what is usually not a huge profit percentage wise on a sale. A person selling their VMP subbed record likely had to house, store, and protect the product for years. It feels like more of an investment to me.

Last edited:
You know what's pretty cool? The fact that people here just help each other out... with RSD, or Piffsgiving or some other random things that I probably missed. We're all just record fans all over the world, and every RSD we look out for each other either with sharing info or picking up records with our money for others knowing that we can trust reach other. People are awesome. There is so much bullshit, but also so much good in the world.

I hadn't seen it broken out by state. Thought it was federal, but I agree with your last point, although the selfish jerk in me is glad it won't apply in my state.

I’m in Illinois and unexpectedly got a 1099-K from eBay for selling over $1000 last year. It was a mixture of records, music gear, camera gear, and miscellaneous shit/electronics around the house.

I’ve got more stuff to sell when I stop procrastinating and really don’t want to go down that route again. So for records, it’s gonna be a combination of PIFs, selling here as F&F and hope I’m trusted enough, selling locally, and just trading stuff in at my locals.

My local just put their leftover stock up. Good lads and usually pretty fair with international shipping.

Cheers , picked up a couple I missed on Saturday and they had a couple of last years in the sale too...flat shipping to U.K. so made sense to order now

Back